I want to buy a 4k 50" TV for running P3D & X-Plane. I see some people saying you must run 30 Hz. Why?  Is there anyone running at 60 or 120hz? If so any problems?  I am running 2x GTX970's in SLI.

was thinking of this TV. LG 49UF6800  http://www.lg.com/hk_en/tv/lg-49UF6800

or

LG 49UH6100  http://www.lg.com/ca_en/tvs/lg-49UH6100-lg-4k-uhd-tv

Any tips??

Cheers

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

No one?

Pete Richards

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

...well,  I did run mine at 60Hz with P3Dv3 but found that this overloaded the GTX980ti ...  and had to turn sliders down . Also I find that using the 4K monitor to control the frame rates (restricting the data throughput  from 60hz to 30hz ) works best for me at the moment..

I set 4K monitor at 30Hz and P3D at Unlimited FPS with Sync on...  with the little amount of testing so far, I find this works best.

If I set the Monitor to 25Hz (less data through the 980ti ), I can turn the sliders up  a bit but the 25Hz visually is a bit annoying.

mustang_banner_newstar2777.png

You may want to ask this big guy:

Thanks for that excellent link!

Pete Richards

I want to buy a 4k 50" TV for running P3D & X-Plane. I see some people saying you must run 30 Hz. Why?  Is there anyone running at 60 or 120hz? If so any problems?  I am running 2x GTX970's in SLI.

was thinking of this TV. LG 49UF6800  http://www.lg.com/hk_en/tv/lg-49UF6800

or

LG 49UH6100  http://www.lg.com/ca_en/tvs/lg-49UH6100-lg-4k-uhd-tv

Any tips??

Cheers

I don't think anyone is saying you MUST run at 30Hz.

It's just that typically 30Hz 4K combined with the appropriate other settings

can often give smoother results than 60Hz, at least with P3D.

Just try both and see what works for you.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I just bought a new Samsung 40" UHD TV last night (UN40KU6300FXZA) and its running P3d 3.3.5 like a dream right now at 60Hz.  I went from a 27" ViewSonic 1080p monitor to this and it is like night and day.  I use a single GTX 970 with an older I7-2600K 3.4 GHz overclocked to 4.2.  Right now in cruise in the NGX, with ASN etc, I'm running at about 45 to 50 fps.  TrackIR is very smooth, in fact after upgrading the monitor and turning off 4xSGSS, I get a better FPS and smoother experience at 4K then I ever did at 1080p.

If anyone else out there is unsure of going to 4K and using a TV instead of a monitor for flight simming, don't be.  It is an incredible improvement to the experience.

• Upvote 1

I just bought a new Samsung 40" UHD TV last night (UN40KU6300FXZA) and its running P3d 3.3.5 like a dream right now at 60Hz.  I went from a 27" ViewSonic 1080p monitor to this and it is like night and day.  I use a single GTX 970 with an older I7-2600K 3.4 GHz overclocked to 4.2.  Right now in cruise in the NGX, with ASN etc, I'm running at about 45 to 50 fps.  TrackIR is very smooth, in fact after upgrading the monitor and turning off 4xSGSS, I get a better FPS and smoother experience at 4K then I ever did at 1080p.

If anyone else out there is unsure of going to 4K and using a TV instead of a monitor for flight simming, don't be.  It is an incredible improvement to the experience.

2nd this and excellent choice on the TV, btw.  That's the exact model I've decided to purchase after reading through this site: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/pc-monitor/best

Hey boddman, I am also looking at the UN40KU6300FXZA.  Will it display 4k at 30 Hz?  Does it support Chroma 4:4:4?

Thanks.

Gary M.

| PPL ASEL |

System Specs: W11 Pro, Corsair 4000X Mid Tower, Z790 Aorus Master Motherboard, i9-13900KF, 64 GB DDR5 SRAM, RTX 4090, Dell AW3821DW Monitor, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, MFG Crosswind Pedals,TrackIR

Hey boddman, I am also looking at the UN40KU6300FXZA.  Will it display 4k at 30 Hz?  Does it support Chroma 4:4:4?

Thanks.

Yes to both, and you can find that information at the site I linked.

Techguy, thanks man ........

Gary M.

| PPL ASEL |

System Specs: W11 Pro, Corsair 4000X Mid Tower, Z790 Aorus Master Motherboard, i9-13900KF, 64 GB DDR5 SRAM, RTX 4090, Dell AW3821DW Monitor, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, MFG Crosswind Pedals,TrackIR

I see some people saying you must run 30 Hz. Why?

For less long frames (aka stutters) it's much easier for your CPU/GPU to sustain 30 FPS (30Hz) ... is 60Hz better ... depends on how you fly and what you fly and if you head twitch a lot with TrackIR (or have TrackIR profile very sensitive).  IMHO, least amount of long frames (aka smooth) comes from Unlimited with Vsync On and Triple Buffer On at 30Hz ... since it's 30hz this allows for higher graphics settings along with nice add-ons (and/or more add-on options enabled).

Most "games" seem to work better at 60Hz, P3D works well at 30Hz (or higher).

Don't get caught up in the data compression "perception" - digital color space - as a test I've produced videos at 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 and not a single person could see the difference in color representation.  There is a very very slight difference, but unless you're a video editor and/or colorist or you have a really bad monitor/TV it's highly unlikely you see the visual difference between 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 in your flight sim of choice.

Sorta like the people that insist that 4096 texture cap setting looks better even when they have no 4096 textures present in their scene and/or view distances are such that the texture mipmap is already well below 4096.  It's often the "feeling" they are missing something rather than actually being able to visually see the difference.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks.

I guess TechGuy beat me too it.  BTW, I'm trying a flight right now using 30 Hz but I'm not really noticing any difference vs 60.   I will probably go back to 60.

For less long frames (aka stutters) it's much easier for your CPU/GPU to sustain 30 FPS (30Hz) ... is 60Hz better ... depends on how you fly and what you fly and if you head twitch a lot with TrackIR (or have TrackIR profile very sensitive).  IMHO, least amount of long frames (aka smooth) comes from Unlimited with Vsync On and Triple Buffer On at 30Hz ... since it's 30hz this allows for higher graphics settings along with nice add-ons (and/or more add-on options enabled).

Most "games" seem to work better at 60Hz, P3D works well at 30Hz (or higher).

Don't get caught up in the data compression "perception" - digital color space - as a test I've produced videos at 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 and not a single person could see the difference in color representation.  There is a very very slight difference, but unless you're a video editor and/or colorist or you have a really bad monitor/TV it's highly unlikely you see the visual difference between 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 in your flight sim of choice.

Sorta like the people that insist that 4096 texture cap setting looks better even when they have no 4096 textures present in their scene and/or view distances are such that the texture mipmap is already well below 4096.  It's often the "feeling" they are missing something rather than actually being able to visually see the difference.

Cheers, Rob.

You can dismiss it as a feature only for videophiles, but given the fact that TVs which feature 4:4:4 chroma support are now THE SAME PRICE as TVs which don't, your point is entirely irrelevant.  Most new 2016 model TVs have this feature, as well as a number of 2015 models.  

I too vote for 60hz, and use either a LG 65" 4K or a Dell 34" UltraWide depending on my mood... 30hz just brings everything to an annoying stutter when I go to use the mouse, pan the camera or bank /pitch quickly.  Things just feel so much more fluid at 60hz.  I understand in theory what Rob preaches, it just doesn't work out for me in practice.  So I use 60Hz.

Enjoy your new TV/Monitor!