Sign in to follow this  
basementflyguy

Cessna Home Cockpit Construction Video Tour

I've had some questions here and on the blog about the construction of the basement sim, so I made a brief video tour. I hope it helps anyone looking to build something similar, and I'm happy to answer any questions.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks for that. Ever since FlightsimCon I've been thinking of how to enclose my setup and this has given me a few ideas, so great. Well done!

cheers,

Greg 

Back again with more: I went and bought a 50" 4K TV for my front screen and it's great, wicked immersive. Running it at 4K alone is good, but adding a second screen (at 2K) brings about some stuttering. Am I nuts to expect this to perform smoothly? I'm unclear on what to use for the sides, trying to find the right balance of immersion, performance, and visual quality.

I notice you run all your screens at 1920x1080? Running 32" side screens would seem like too low a resolution for my liking...so why not higher? Are you happy with the results you have?

Many thanks,

Greg

newbie cockpit-hacker-builder

Hi Greg. Yes, everything in my setup is 1080p, in part because short throw projectors are limited to such at the moment. To me my 32 inch side views look great. I never notice pixels. This video has some first person POV shots which helps illustrate a bit of what I see.

Also, when I have stutters it's because of add ons, not my screens.

I saw this video on your site and watched it again....indeed 1080p does look good. I lowered my res settings on the main screen to 2K and got a much smoother flight tonight, but still only using one side view (32"). I'll have to purchase another and then do lots of reconfiguring to the sim structure. Fun project that also drives me crazy at times.

Thanks for posting ...this helped a lot.   

Onward I go...

Greg

newbie cockpit-hacker-builder NCHB

Amazing how easy some wood and corrugated plastic can enhance the immersion!

I never thought of having the door posts created as simple flat side walls.

Very nice stuff!

Oliver

I've had some questions here and on the blog about the construction of the basement sim, so I made a brief video tour. I hope it helps anyone looking to build something similar, and I'm happy to answer any questions.

Hi 

I'd really like to know how you hooked up up the three views (without using Surround ) on that one video card (or two) and synced them all?

Did you open two other view window and then undock them and drag them over to the left and right 32" monitor?

do you not get FPS hit when you undock a window?

Hi 

I'd really like to know how you hooked up up the three views (without using Surround ) on that one video card (or two) and synced them all?

Did you open two other view window and then undock them and drag them over to the left and right 32" monitor?

do you not get FPS hit when you undock a window?

Manny,

If you go to his Blog site he has many how-to pages, one of them how he got his screens setup. Very helpful. I have presently two screens going using custom views and yes, it can take a perf hit depending on the res setttings and of course the hardware.

Greg

Thanks Greg and hello Manny.

To save you the search, here's a link to the post I wrote on camera configurations: http://www.ontheglideslope.net/2016/05/18/how-to-creating-custom-cameras-in-prepar3d-v3/

All four monitors are plugged into a single 980ti. Yes, I take a performance hit. I usually have frames between 10-15 (very low, Orbx SoCal, AI traffic, weather - but still smooth) and as high as 50 fps cruising over less populated areas, with an average of 30-40 fps. If I run only the front window my FPS are 80+. Each open window hurts a bit, but I can't take the distortion of Nvidia Surround, and the horizon doesn't look realistic across the side windows of my cockpit.

Separate windows also mean I can't lock at 30fps in NI or other software. So I run 1/2 refresh rate instead.

Hope this helps, and thanks.