Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

Addons cannot find fs2004

Hello everyone,

I am trying to find what has happened to my beloved FS2004

I have just completed a full and fresh install of FS2004 and attempted to load My Traffic 2010 and was promptly advised that it could not find my directory.  So I manually pointed to D/FS2004 and again I was told it could not find the FS2004 directory.  I renamed it and tried to reinstall again with the same results.  I have never had this problem before so I thought it may be a faulty FS2004 installation.  So ,,,, uninstall, and reinstall FS2004.  Tried to load the My Traffic again with the same results.  I then went into my fs2004 directory and all looked normal so I am at the ???? stage.  Tried to reinstall again and this time went through the D/Fs2004 and discovered that I was only able to see the folders and the FS9.1 exe file etc were not visible,  Aha, I thought ... but what to do next to make it all happen.

Has anyone else had this happen? I think it may well be a windows 7 problem but other than that I do not have a clue.

Just for info, I loaded (after this disaster) the Ifly737 3.2.2 and that went smoothly. Followed up with the latest AIRAC update and it suffered the same problem. Why do some work but others don.t 

Any way if anybody can help me out here i would really appreciate the assistance

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Hello guys and thanks for your responses.

A32xx  .... Flight1 registry fixer is my first "go to tool"  and yes, I have run that.

I have a 256gb SSD partitioned for c/windows etc  and D/FS2004 is my flightsim folder on the d drive,  I have not yet looked at my scenery config folder. but I figure that if MYT is not installed there would not be an entry to that effect.  I will however, check it out and advise.

I have looked at the FS2004 folder and it has all the right folders ie addon scenery, aircraft etc and after the last folder there are all the BMP, WAV, Application, config and other files that normally reside there.

During the install attempt though when I get the message "cannot find FS2004" I am given the option to find it manually. and in the screen provided I have to click through Computer ... Drive ..... folders .... FS2004 ....  After clicking on all of those I am in the FS2004 folder and there are all the folders  but none of the other aforementioned files and MYT just keeps telling me that it cannot find FS2004 (I am assuming here that it is referring to the .exe file)  It is correct too because I cannot find it either but only in that install window.  It all exists if I get out and get into the d drive and FS2004 folder.

I hope the above has clarified the situation for you all .... if you are confused, hornswoggled and/or befuddled, can you imagine how I feel LOL.

Still hoping guys and thank you again.

Regards

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Hello All,

I have another development.  

I just tried to run Flight 1 registry fixer and now even that cannot find the exe file either.  Again in that process, it only shows the folders and not all the other files as mentioned before.

This is the same through 3 complete reinstalls.

Can ANYBODY help Please

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Hi Tony, sorry to ask silly questions but have you set Windows 7 to Show Hidden Files and are you right-clicking and selecting Run As Administrator when running your installers and registry fixer? Do you have only one instance of FS2004 installed with no other back-up copies?

Check your folder settings in widows and make sure you have "show hidden files" selected.

Also right click your FS9.exe and make sure that is not "hidden" or "read only"

Peter Schluter

At least I would install a basic FS9 on C: drive as C:/Flight Simulator 9 and not as FS2004. Also you should backup FS9.cfg before running the new installation. BTW, FS9.exe isn't considered as hidden file.

Hello all,

Firstly let me thank you all for your responses.

A32xx    I am definitely showing hidden files.

I discovered recently that if you right click on the .exe file you can tick a box "run as administrator" and have                       been doing this religiously on all installed programmes ever since.

I have a back up copy but this is on drive e

Pschlute   Checked Hidden files and all ok

Also checked FS9.exe

Goldenrocket   I have been running FS9 in the same fashion ie Drive d in folders variously named FS9, FSVIIII, FSVIIII.1                         and FS2004 for many, many years now. I have never had any problems prior to this recent abberation                               and I do not have a clue where it is coming from.  It just does not make any sense to me and the fact that                         I was able to run the registry fixer until this morning (it did not fix the problem but it did run) also baffles                             me.

I simply do not know where to go to from here.  Three clean installs all produce the same results which sort of indicates to me that it won't be a corrupt install, and the fact is that we are all sort of going down the same resolution paths.

Any further ideas

Regards

Tony Chilcott 

Tony Chilcott.

Hi Tony, when you re-install FS9 do you run it once, close it and then update it to FS9.1?

Other than that, I can only of an Antivirus/Internet Security update which now sees FS9.exe as a virus, or the Microsoft KB update which requires the  :Shame On You: patch.

A32xx

Hello again mate,

I have now developed another unrelated problem so I will uninstall again and reinstall. I have to admit that I have never  done the install ... run it .... and then install the update.  Again never had this problem before but I am very happy to try it this time.  I have the Avira "free" antivirus and run UAC at the highest level ... however, this is always turned off for all installations.  With all my FS2004 installs my first action after installing the programme and update is to reboot, run DXT3fixer before starting any downloaded add-on installs.  These add-ons are always scanned manually by Avira  run as administrator and then DXT3fixer before moving on to the next add-on. A laborious process but over the years, I know which programmes cause problems and these are installed first (in case another uninstall/reinstall is required)  I have had MYT 2010 for a few years now and I have never had a problem with this install. Same thing applies to Airac and yesterday to the Feelthere Legacy.

Anyway, I will try this latest approach and report back,  

By the way, I have a DVD installation disc and the original 4 cd installation discs.  The problem exists with both versions of the installation.  It is very weird and again points to NOT being a corrupt installation.

Thanks again for your input

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Maybe I've been lucky :-)

I have 3x versions of FS2004, & I just decided to do a separate install just for the Ford Tri-Motor Project stuff, so I ran a new install into my C;\ drive, as c:\ Flight Simulation 9. After it installed, it automatically started. I killed it, then immediatly ran the update.

I'm running as Admin, with my UAC always turned off (right down). All UAC does, in my opinion, is just nag! I never have it on. My anti-malware & anti-virus (Avast free) do my protecting for me. & I'm running Windows 10, after upgrading from Windows 7.

All this on an i5 4GB ram laptop, with no issues at all. I even have an old version (1.4) of P3D. My laptop only has a DX9 graphics card inside, so newer versions of P3D will not run.

Oh, I also have Combat Flight Sim 2 as well as the latest version of FlightGear. My laptop has not 'fallen over' yet, in spite of all my add-ons! :Applause:​

My other installs have been a copy/paste off my backup protable drive, then using the registry tool to fix it.

I'm yet to try use the DXT3 tool.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I think if you follow this order you should not have any problems.

1. Turn off UAC

2. Install FS to something you have not used before eg instead of D: FS2004 make it D: Flight Simulator

3. Install FS

4. Install FS 9.1 patch

5. Install NOCD

6. Run FS

7. Install your other addons

From here do what you want.

Mark Daniels

Skywatcher... perfectly described. :hi:

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Skywatcher... perfectly described

Thanks Wobbie. I find you mess with stuff during an installation it will only likely create problems. As with anything, just do the basics, get it all running in a standard fashion, then you can generally easily narrow down any issues that arise further on down the track.

Regarding anti virus, best to prescan files before installation and turn it off during installation. If you know your anti virus is reliable and will inform you when it intends to delete files you can leave it on. Problem is, some anti virus software just deletes stuff with no feedback and the first you know about it is when a program doesn't work. Run as Admin also shouldn't be required to run anything or during the installation process, at least on Win 7.

Mark Daniels