Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

Addons cannot find fs2004

My ant-virus doess it all for me. I do not prescan anything, & never switch it off. Avast (free) always tells me whats happening.

I sett my fs9.exe to run as admin & just left it like that.

So far, the only installation problem I have ever had on Windows 10 is with the Team FS KBT P-3C Orion, where I had to run the installer with Windows XP compatibility.

As you say, basic is better.. Also.. ALWAYS install into a temp directory first, so you can see the readme's & what is in the zip. Then copy & paste into your sim. This way, if there is a problem, you know what caused it.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Hello again,

In the words of the immortal Sean Dillon (jack Higgens) "God bless all here"

Well, I have followed Skywatchers advice to the letter.

1. Uninstalled everything FS2004 related in Control Panel

2. Hey ..after the uninstall, I found in D drive in the FS9 folder the complete fs9folders/files/everything ... obviously not         uninstalled. I then manually deleted all in that folder and then deleted the fs folder itself in D drive.  

3. Went to appdata/roaming/microsoft/fs9 (still there and again, obviously not uninstalled) and noted a lot of duplications... deleted everything in that folder.

4. Rebooted

Checked (a) drive d ... No fs9 folder

(b) Drive c ... appdata ...roaming...microsoft...... no FS9 folder

Reinstalled FS2004

I noted this time that I could not open FS9 using the FS9 desktop icon.

5. I then deleted the fs9 application .... updated to fs9.1 .... deleted the fs9.1 application and installed the FS9.1 no key. .... created a desktop icon and copied it to the desktop.

Clicking on the desktop icon opened the simulator normally.

6. I then tried to install the latest AIRAC .... cannot find FS9...manual direct ... can only find FS9 folders,,,no fs9.1 exe showing  Cancelled install

7. Tried to install My Traffic 2010 ... Same result as 6.

8 Tried to install Feelthere Legacy aircraft. ... same as 6 and 7

FS2004 opens and runs normally but I cannot install as above

As I have a dual win7/win10 system I repeated all of the above on win10 with exactly the same results

This laborious process explains the tardy response to all of you.

At this time, I remain completely perplexed, befuddled and confused, not to mention frustrated and lost.

Where to from here ... I have tried the registry fixer....  1 click maintenance ... cc registry fixer and lots of alcohol LOL. Nothing is working Alcohol being the best non performing remedy LOL

Somebody must know why I can see all the relevant files in the directory but the addons can only see the folders.

Any help appreciated

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Are you sure you followed everything and in the correct order? Particularly turning off UAC and creating a FS folder with a different name? No doing extra things I didn't list either. It's fine going in and uninstalling all the bits and pieces of a previous installation you can find but then you MUST follow the instructions precisely. If you don't, there are a number of variables that could occur by missing any of the steps and makes troubleshooting your problems very difficult if not impossible from this end.

After step 6 you should have a good FS installation that will open from the FS9.exe in your FS folder. Don't try and use the FS icon on the desktop for testing purposes. If at this point there are problems, no need to go any further as the problems need to be fixed. If it all works well, means FS is good and the problems clearly arise elsewhere causing everything to go bad and may be caused by just one particular addon.

Mark Daniels

Skywatcher

Thanks for your reply mate.

I religiously followed your advice, noting that I was unable to open FS9 after the initial re-install..   I proceeded in accordance with your directions though and was able to open after the fs9.1 update, and again, after the NoCD install. Please note that on SSD drive D, I created a New Folder (I did not rename it) and that is where the fs9 programme was installed into.

Maybe that is where the problem lies but I am strongly beginning to suspect a windows problem rather than an install problem.  My problem then, lies in trying to solve the Windows problem as I have no idea about how to do that.  The only thing that points away from windows is that I get exactly the same results from Win10 and Win 7 ... both 64bit.

Can anyone tell me if this may be the right path to pursue?

Other than not being able to install the programmes listed, FS9.1 is running beautifully and given my problems with Xplane10, FSX-SE and P3D, I am  loathe to leave FS9 for the time being.

I just do not understand as I find no logic in this at all.  If I can see the fs9.exe in the directory, why can't the add-on find it through the install procedure?

That, in a nutshell, is what the problem is.

Regards again to all

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Tony,

It was important to follow the instructions precisely. There could possibly be some Windows screw up of some description so you need to try and take all those possibilities out of the equation. That's why I said to give the folder for the new install a completely new/different name. It would be a new place, nothing will be pointing to the new folder, no registry entries etc because it did not exist in previous installations. By creating a new folder with a different name it takes out a number of possible variables. By deleting the folder as you have done but giving it the same name again you are back to square one.

Need to just do one step at a time, standard install as I listed, make sure FS is functioning perfectly and then go on from there. Don't even launch it prior to the patch and nocd being applied, follow the instructions precisely. You should then hopefully have a fully working FS standard install after step 6. The next thing to see is what happens when you try to install an addon. If the standard install all works well an addon should find your FS installation. If it doesn't, then you start looking at the Windows side of things.

Mark Daniels

For my three-pennyworth it sounds to me as if you still have registry entries pointing to the wrong place. If your current install is not in the same location that it has been previously, this is a possibility. A lot of software doesn't remove registry entries when uninstalled.

1. Flight Simulator itself will run fine with incorrect registry entries but it will confuse add-ons which use the registry to know where FS is. There is a Flight 1 repair tool for this which I think has already been mentioned.
  2. The other registry possibility is that the add-on you are trying to install has itself previously placed an entry in the registry which is now telling the install software that FS is somewhere else. If it is just "MyTraffic" affected this is a possibility (if it is many add-ons I lean towards 1 above). For this, I would look through the registry editor for every entry with "MyTraffic" in it and deleting (being careful that you don't accidentally delete entries with that word in them that are for other things such as "Pullmytrafficofftheroad"!).

To me a completely clean re-install includes clearing out every reference to FS9 and FS2004 in the regisrty which I can say, from personal experience, avoids issue 1 above. I would not recommend doing this at this stage though, as you have your installation working. Try running the Flight 1 tool again.

You said in an early post that MyTraffic allowed you to manually select the directory to install to - this often allows you to type in the destination as well as select it, that may be worth a try. Some installers don't require you to see anything other than the directory structure and deliberately do not show files so maybe it is working as intended after all. As I don't have this product I can't really say, but I would certainly try showing only the directory location and see if it will install with that.

If the issue is specific to MyTraffic you might wish to ask here:
http://forum.simflight.com/forum/7-mytraffic-support-forum/

Somebody asked a similar question there concerning FSXSE recently, although they resolved it before an answer could be given. It sounds as if support responses can be slow coming there but they do come, so I would say that is a good place to ask. Maybe look through earlier threads first as I have done nothing other than glance at the top page.

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Everyone,

Thank you all  so very much for your help and suggestions.

I am off to OZ tomorrow and heaps to do before I go which necessitates a lengthy pause on this problem as I am going to be seriously separated from my computer.

If after following all the advice here, I have still not solved the problem I will start a new post.

Again I very much appreciate all your input

Regards

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.