Sign in to follow this  
Mithras

Looking For A Nice WW2 Base - UK

Are there any WW2 RAF bases out there I can download and install easily? I have a few WW2 aircraft and want a place to fly them from in the UK, preferably not too close to London, the skyline is visible for miles and not very historical-looking. I did try a couple of freeware airfields, but there were a lot of requests for additional libraries to be downloaded and scenery folders to be created... 

Don't mind if its payware or freeware. 

.... I did try a couple of freeware airfields, but there were a lot of requests for additional libraries to be downloaded and scenery folders to be created... 

I was going to suggest that I'd seen some freeware entries, but yes, it is a pain when you have to go looking for extra libraries.

Usually, creating a scenery folder is relatively painless, usually. The readme files for the freeware airports I've downloaded (not 1940s era) are quite self explanatory.

This is AVSIM, if you need help regarding scenery setting up and adding, someone will help. Even me with my limited knowledge!

Here's a thought: Scenery packs of entire countries around the world exist as well all know. With so many people flying old warbirds, I'm surprised no one's recreated a 1940s London city-scape. (a major undertaking I suspect!).  A 1940s entire UK would be HUGE - how many airfields existed back then which have now become fields, retail parks or housing estates?

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Thanks Mark, I decided to give it a go ... i found Ian's Dark Corner and after an hour of building scenery files I installed RAF Digby in Lincolnshire. It's a bit sparse, but looks like a top notch little 40s airfield (no runways!!).

I think I'll write some traffic, sit it inside the scenery folder, and add a few bits of scenery with Instant Scenery 3 ... great so far....

Thanks for the kick, Mark.

• Upvote 1

Glad I could help! :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

You might also like to consider 'IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover' available on Steam for about £10 for  authentic WW2 aircraft and airfields