Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

OpusFSI and EzDok comparison?

Hi! I have been using EzDok for years, and I'm quite comfortable with it. I'm currently running p3d v3.2.3 on a win10 64 bits. EzDok has been acting up lately; the key commands for view changing stop working. Trying xplane 10 and the Xcamera addon, I see possibilities for camera controll that I dont think is available in EzDok. That brings me to OpusFSI, and the camera control part of it.

I tried searching on youtube for some reviews or comparisons to ezdok, but found very little.

If you have experience with both EzDok and OpusFSI, can you please share your thoughts about how they compare to eachother? Is Opus the better choice? What functionality does Opus bring to the table that EzDok doesn't have? Does Opus have any stability or bug issues? Is it possible to run the camera control without using any of the other functions like weather injection (I probably want to run ASN instead of Opus for weather)?

Thanks a bunch for your input! :)

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

I went from ezdok to opus.

The camera controls in opus have been improved since to include world views and long camera pans/transitions.

The weather and camera elements do easily work separately to one another so you can disable the weather engine with a single click.

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I think the Opus dynamic head movement interaction / feedback with weather is excellent (have used EzDok in the past).

Also love the fact that I can set up a default camera for all aircraft in a few clicks after a new install and I'm done without any fuss. 

If you have experience with both EzDok and OpusFSI, can you please share your thoughts about how they compare to eachother? Is Opus the better choice? What functionality does Opus bring to the table that EzDok doesn't have? Does Opus have any stability or bug issues? Is it possible to run the camera control without using any of the other functions like weather injection (I probably want to run ASN instead of Opus for weather)?

Thanks a bunch for your input! :)

You flew with me with my OpusFSI and your ASN/EZDOC...the one thing I miss is the external views available with EZDOC....BUT...that might be a P3d issue...

You asked, and I will enumerate,

1."What functionality does Opus bring to the table that EzDok doesn't have?

2. Does Opus have any stability or bug issues?

3. Is it possible to run the camera control without using any of the other functions like weather injection (I probably want to run ASN instead of Opus for weather)?"

Answers...

1. Weather

2. Not that I have found but like FSUIPC...RTFM!!!

3. yes, If you're really experiencing instability with EzDok then the cameras afforded you with opus FSI are really terrific BUT...

...it's a steep price to pay if you're not also making use of its weather.

As you know, I also have ASN...BUT I choose OPUSFSI because not only does it have weather generation, but it also has highly configurable aircraft specific/shared cameras with dynamic head movement.… I'm including this information for the folks on the board here... you and I can chat more specifically in our shared flight deck..

...chortle chortle...jumping up and down like a kid who has flown sims for close to 40 years and just yesterday...for the first time ...shared my cockpit with the likes of this sterling gentleman, Andreas...cause I am!!!(that kid)...

...thanks to Andreas here and many online contributors...for making it happen!...

So, except for historical weather, I BELIEVE...there is less of a performance hit with OPUSFSI/TrackIR than with EZDOC/ASN/TrackIR.

I have to say that since I've gone with three monitors that the influence of TrackIR is significantly ( as in the statistical/scientific sense… =>5% )diminished… Not that I don't love TrackIR...to date, I have refused to fly without it; dynamic movement and head tracking in the cockpit has been a given in my flying life…For now...but I gotta say three monitors goes a lonnng way, to making up for panoramic head tracking.

Playing devils advocate with myself, I have to say that it's also nice, by virtual of a slight head movement, to be able to to be able to glance up at the overhead panel, or down to the center console in the NGX/A320/Dash8 to attend to those location's indications/buttons …

Perhaps it's six-of-one and half a dozen of another… ...sorry for the TrackIR diversion...hope this helps.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Using Opus FSI DHM Camera's and ASN weather..................

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Do you use FSUIPC to get mouse look, or is there a mouse look function built into opusfsi? I bought OpusFSI and I am currently using fsuipc to get the mouse look, but it's not the best solution compared to what I'm used to in EzDok with smooth camera movement. Fsuipc gives me a jerky and unprecise movement. Other than that, I love DHM, and it really feels immersive. The cameras are a bit of a pain to set up because for some reason it doesn't like to use the hot key I assign for each camera right away. It takes a while before it suddenly reckognizes the hotkey and changes to the correct view. I am not using the PKD or what ever it was called interface for FSI ;)

Andreas Stangenes

My looks are done through through Opus cam's...BUT, I have the same problem with OPUSFSI button assignment=view, on my Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, SO I use FSUICP Buttons to emulate a keyboard press... Because Opus-cam keyboard assignment for views works just fine… It's a good work-around.

And yes I would love it if we figured out why buttons still don't work for view assignments.

Chas

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Thanks for your inputs, Chas and Mike :) And especially thank you, Chas, for your kind words. It was really an awesome experience doing CFD with you, and looking forward to more sessions.

I'm a little bit surprised that I couldn't find any good tutorial videos on youtube for OpusFSI, especially about how to configure the cameras and using mouse look etc. I found one in spanish, but I dont speak spanish... :)

Do any of you know of a good tutorial video?

Andreas Stangenes

Do any of you know of a good tutorial video?

NO!!!

And that's the shame of it with the extensive PDF support written by Stephen, you would think that somebody had taken the time to do tutorials on the available features of the terrific FSI Opus! But noooooooooooooooo.

...hey! I have a barn and Jimmy you have some paint and Bobby, your dad is a carpenter....and Chas... you can edit it it all in moviemaker!

... Let's put on a show!

… Or at least a tutorial on YouTube !

Chas d'mille...er...

Chas