Sign in to follow this  
LEMDSpotter

FPS improvement going from i7 2600 to i7 6700k

I upgraded from that exact CPU to the i6700k. You can already work out whether you will get the extra 10 fps now. Put P3D in a window and reduce the window size down while watching FPS. Does the FPS increase 10 in a quarter size window? If so, you are GPU limited and just need better GPU. If not you are CPU limited. Could be a mix of both.

Let's say you are currently CPU limited.To go from 20 to 30 fps is 50% increase.

You are currently on 3.4GHZ right? You could overclock to 4.6 without a problem. That will give you 35% increase in FPS right there.

The other 15% would have to come from a GPU upgrade to a 1070 or 1080. If there is any short fall, you could make it up with modifying settings/tweaking.

I can't tell you about major airports like that because I fly mainly VFR. The CPU upgrade from 4.2GHZ to i6700k 4.7GHZ produced a very noticeable improvement in performance and overall smoothness but remember that it is not a miracle increase either and I still have microstutter issues.

If you have the money (aren't financially stressed), go for an i6700k build and a GTX1070 or 80. You will have a good possible chance of hitting 30fps if you get your settings right.

EDIT: What ever computer you decide on, make sure that the CPU cooler is capable of safe overclocking.

The thing is my current CPU cannot be overclocked, it's a non-K version, as my PC is basically an HP prebuilt computer, the case is way too small to fit more cooling and even a bigger GPU, so I just decided to build a new one.

To everyone else, thanks for your advice! I'll see if I can manage to get a GTX 1070/80.

To everyone else, thanks for your advice! I'll see if I can manage to get a GTX 1070/80.

Unless you upgrade the CPU, I worry you will not achieve your 30fps goal and have spent money for nothing!

Unless you upgrade the CPU, I worry you will not achieve your 30fps goal and have spent money for nothing!

That's what I said in the first post, I'm looking to build a rig with an i7 6700k or 4790k.

Hello again.

This time I'd like to ask if a build like the one listed below would work for P3D. 

Thanks.

Video Card?

Hello again.

This time I'd like to ask if a build like the one listed below would work for P3D. 

Thanks.

Video card is missing and please make sure that those 16GB RAM are coming in a 2x8GB setup, as you should profit from Dual Channel. Besides this, the setup seems to be ok, I personally would use a smaller SSD for the OS only along with a SSD dedicated to the sim only including the 4TB backup hdd. But that is my personal preference...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

It's a never ending battle for frame rate vs visuals. Old crappy computers can run a sim fast with the sliders on ugly.

A lot of replies in the two big sim forums give advice to build your own rig - not everyone out there has the knack to build their own rig - especially someone not that familiar with installing very pricey electronics  (one spark of static electricity can fry a bunch of delicate circuitry).  It requires watching a lot of UTube videos, a very cool hand, and a logical mind.

I've dabbled with the innards of a lot PC's over the years - even recently installed and cloned a second SSD card on my new gaming rig (via UTube), incurring lot of forehead sweat - But for sure, I  paid a lot extra to have someone else to properly put the rest of it together.

Take a look at the following topic in the Hardware Forum and you will see how difficult it is to set up a powerful system and still be satisfied with the results - http://www.avsim.com/topic/489489-just-ordered-the-following-for-p3d33/.  I do not think there is anything out there more powerful than his system and his setup.  When you pay over $1700 for the latest and greatest i7 CPU and still have issues with stuttering and other anomalies in P3D, then you have to wonder when you get that i7 6700K if you max everything out.  He also sets his fps limiter to 35! 

Just my two-cents worth.

Best regards,

Actually it's not that difficult to set up a powerful system and still be satisfied with the results. I've done it numerous times and there's nothing special about me. Forums are replete with success stories. Those that have self built Skylake on this very forum have been delighted with their choice.

In regard to your link, it's not a good example, the OP's issue was bad choices. His RAM was optimised for Skylake. Z170 RAM is notoriously difficult to configure for Broadwell E. Lack of research was the issue. For example opting for an NH-D15, despite the fact that he wasn't overclocking. And having to mount his cooler the wrong way round, despite the fact that the high compatibility NH-D15S was available.

You are right in that Broadwell E is powerful... in multi-threaded applications. [skylake eclipses it in games]  Whether that translates to a worthwhile performance improvement in P3D that justifies the ridiculous price of the CPU remains to be seen, but I seriously doubt it. So we shouldn't assume that he had the best option for the intended use.

You are right in that Broadwell E is powerful... in multi-threaded applications. [skylake eclipses it in games] Whether that translates to a worthwhile performance improvement in P3D that justifies the ridiculous price of the CPU remains to be seen, but I seriously doubt it. So we shouldn't assume that he had the most powerful option for the intended use.

Was that your two-cents worth too?  :smile:

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

A lot of replies in the two big sim forums give advice to build your own rig - not everyone out there has the knack to build their own rig - especially someone not that familiar with installing very pricey electronics  (one spark of static electricity can fry a bunch of delicate circuitry).  It requires watching a lot of UTube videos, a very cool hand, and a logical mind.

You make it sound far more difficult than it actually is, far more risky than it actually is... however, very true that some aren't technically minded and competent at such tasks.

Was that your two-cents worth too?  :smile:

No Jim, it was my 2 pence. But now we've left the EU the pound will plummet to an all time low and I will have to give you my 10,000 pence.  :smile:

Put P3D in a window and reduce the window size down while watching FPS. Does the FPS increase 10 in a quarter size window? If so, you are GPU limited and just need better GPU. If not you are CPU limited.

Is that true?

I currently have the GTX 670 on 4 monitors 3 X 24" surround view and I get 20 FPS. I reduced the window from  3 monitors to two minotr size window and my FPS jumped to 30FPS

Does this mean, I could simply upgrade my GPU instead to the new GTX1070 and I'll be better off instead of building a new PC? I currenty have the 3770K OCed to 4.5GHz

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Is that true?

I currently have the GTX 670 on 4 monitors 3 X 24" surround view and I get 20 FPS. I reduced the window from  3 monitors to two minotr size window and my FPS jumped to 30FPS

Does this mean, I could simply upgrade my GPU instead to the new GTX1070 and I'll be better off instead of building a new PC? I currenty have the 3770K OCed to 4.5GHz

I keep hearing this. You may as well... if you were going to buy a new computer (including GPU) just buy the GPU now and see what happens.

Don't forget to clear the shaders after installing.

My Q: "Does this mean, I could simply upgrade my GPU instead to the new GTX1070 and I'll be better off instead of building a new PC? I currenty have the 3770K OCed to 4.5GHz"

I keep hearing this. You may as well... if you were going to buy a new computer (including GPU) just buy the GPU now and see what happens.

Put P3D in a window and reduce the window size down while watching FPS. Does the FPS increase 10 in a quarter size window? If so, you are GPU limited and just need better GPU. If not you are CPU limited.

WOW Glider''s theory is proven to be true.

I just replaced my GTX 670 with the GTX 1070 10 minutes ago

And my FPS jumped 30% atleast.. (since I have it fixed at 30FPS) it has reached that 30FPS from 20 FPS.

After reading this thread, I did a quick check. I moved by P3D Screen spread over 3 X 24" monitor to to two 2 X 24" and my FPS jumped from 20 to 30FPS. So as per the theory here, my CPU is not weak link..its my GPU. 

So after I installed the GTX 1070, I got the 30FPS in  3 X 24" monitor.

I feel like I don't need a CPU upgrade for now! :)

edited to add: I changed my limit to 60FPS and its hitting 55FPS. :)

• Upvote 1

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter