Sign in to follow this  
Claude Troncy

Frame rate limiter question to Gurus

Bonjour,

P3D V3.3 GTX780

The only way to get rid of microstutter particulary when panning around as I do not have a 30hz capable monitor is to use RadeonPro to limit FPS.

In NVI the framerate limiter doesn't work and I do not undestand why.

I cannot use the internal limiter as it seems to be bugged.

Example:
1 Situation LFPO on ground, 737NGX, with the internal frame rate limiter set to unlimited my FPS is 40.

2 If I set the internal limiter to 60 then the FPS drop down to 28 ! Strange, One would expect that it remains to 40... But no.

Is there a logical explanation to that behavior?

Does anybody know a solution other than a 30hz monitor or RadeonPro tool to limit the framerate.

Thanks

Best regards

Claude

Claude Troncy

The internal limiter adds pre-rendered frames, thus theoretically making the experience 'smoother'. However, it also has a significant impact on the framerate. I personally avoid it like the plague.

I use RivaTuner Statistics Server, as part of MSI Afterburner. It also comes as standalone, I believe. Hands down the best framerate limiter available in my opinion.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Hi Sethos1988,

Thank you very much for your quick answer.

I tested in the past the RivaTuner Statistics Server.

I have just now made a new test with P3DV3, and yes it is very good.

The only problem is I am not able to have the FPS displayed on the screen if MSIAfterburner is not launched.
In the past I could not find the standalone version on the web. Have you an idea where I can find it.

Thanks

Claude

Claude Troncy

Oh I couldn't tell you, I don't use the on-screen display functionality. For FPS display, I just use the in-game SHIFT + Z

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Hi Sethos1988,

Thank you very much for your quick answer.

I tested in the past the RivaTuner Statistics Server.

I have just now made a new test with P3DV3, and yes it is very good.

The only problem is I am not able to have the FPS displayed on the screen if MSIAfterburner is not launched.

In the past I could not find the standalone version on the web. Have you an idea where I can find it.

Thanks

Claude

I am only getting to know the MSI Afterburner myself.  Not very experienced with it.

I also found that I had to launch the application for it to show on the screen upper left corner, and I then have the MSI afterburner sitting active in my taskbar.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I use RivaTuner Statistics Server, as part of MSI Afterburner. It also comes as standalone, I believe. Hands down the best framerate limiter available in my opinion.

Try DXtory (http://exkode.com). It is far the best limiter available.

It is not free but has a long trial period. Most "serious" gamers swear on it. It's mainly a video and screen grabber, so has neat other features too. One can configure its fps display wherever you want it on the screen and has different colors, transparency, etc.

Try DXtory (http://exkode.com). It is far the best limiter available.

It is not free but has a long trial period. Most "serious" gamers swear on it. It's mainly a video and screen grabber, so has neat other features too. One can configure its fps display wherever you want it on the screen and has different colors, transparency, etc.

Been a part of various overclock and gaming forums for years, never heard Dxtory touted as the best limiter available, ever. The fact that it costs money, versus a generally well-regarded free option, should remove it from the equation pretty quick.

Why not just lock the FPS in Prepar3D settings? 

I have 2xMSI overclocked 970gtx in SLI and render P3D@3840x2160p and I run unlimited frames in the sim and also use dxtory to limit frames to 30fps. Dxtory for me personally does give me the smoothest most consistent frames compared to the internal limiter or NVI etc. I used to use it in FSX too.

If Im in heavy scenery in PMDG plane at say 20 fps-30 fps and I use a limiter I take a drop back to 15 fps. I find I get better performance not using one

The smoothness is about the same

ZORAN

Just tried DXTory.

I had the issue that with VSync and my monitors runninjg at 24Hrtz the framrate would bouce up/down 24/48/72/96/120.. That gave some jittering.

I have tried the NVLimiter. And while at start it looked good at some situations it took down the framerate by 15-20% on my system.

Now I am going to try DXTory.

I have set the limiter to 25 so the P3D Vsync can do it's job without being interfeared by an external one. Only when the framerate wants to go up to 48 +.

First impression ios that it works very nicely.

Now I am going to make a flight to see how it behaves inflight.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Just tried DXTory.

I had the issue that with VSync and my monitors runninjg at 24Hrtz the framrate would bouce up/down 24/48/72/96/120.. That gave some jittering.

I have tried the NVLimiter. And while at start it looked good at some situations it took down the framerate by 15-20% on my system.

Now I am going to try DXTory.

I have set the limiter to 25 so the P3D Vsync can do it's job without being interfeared by an external one. Only when the framerate wants to go up to 48 +.

First impression ios that it works very nicely.

Now I am going to make a flight to see how it behaves inflight.

I just loaded it, nothing to lose and Im amazed. Sitting on 30fps without a big FPS drop like Riva tuner and Nvidea inspector...hmm to scared to look at the price now

ZORAN

First try it throuroughly.

That's what I am going to do.

Today I am going to make a flight with th elimiter set at 49.. in this way I have my fluid 24 at heavy detailed airports and 48 in the air.

Tomorrow the same flight but with the limiter set at 25.

It is 3800 Yen what means 32 Euro...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Hello,

It seems that nobody experiences the same behavior with the limiters.

Why not just lock the FPS in Prepar3D settings? 

For me when using the 737NGX, whithout a limiter, I am always between 30 and 40 FPS, when using the internal limiter to 33 as recommended, then the FPS dropped down to around 27. So I have stutters.

I think it works when basically you use a plane that doesn't eat a lot of CPU, and your FPS is around 60.

Why the NVI limiter works in FSX but not in P3D (in my config W7 780GTX), that' a mystery for me. 

I never tried DXTory, because I thought it was not working in Fullscreen. I will try.

Thanks you all for your advice.

Best regard

Claude

• Upvote 1

Claude Troncy

Who said that the NVLimiter does not work in P3D ?

It does on my system..

However , it costs 15-20% fps on my system and therefore I was using VSync only..