Sign in to follow this  
Claude Troncy

Frame rate limiter question to Gurus

Who said that the NVLimiter does not work in P3D ?

It's me  :smile:

I never had problem using it with FSX or FSXSE, but with my configuration, it doesn't work with P3D.

Who knows why ? But I know that flightsim is not an exact science.

This afternoon I tried several situations with the different limiters, and for my config it is RadeonPro which give me the smoothest experience in turn and panning.

Cheers

Claude

Claude Troncy

A drop in FPS from internally limiting the maximum frame rate may seem odd, but it is normal because with the limiter activated, the sim dedicates more CPU cycles to the loadup of scenery and terrain during a flight compared to having the maximum FPS set at unlimited. This is why you have fewer FPS. In a default FSX/P3D configuration, one in three CPU cycles is dedicated to the said task. That ratio can be changed by altering the Fiber_Frame_Time_Fraction-value (refer to the P3D learning center or google the term for more information). The default value is 0.33. By lowering this value, you can reduce your FPS hit. I have read somewhere that if you set it to 0.01, the FPS will be the same as with having the limiter turned off (provided that they aren't above the specified maximum value). The catch?  You might encounter more blurries. (On my system, I hardly see more blurries when FPS is set is to unlimited as compared to limiting them to 20). I would go ahead and try.

Here is the quote from the P3D learning center:

[MAIN]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33

Non-Default entry. This entry will not exist in your Prepar3D.cfg file by default and must be added to the file.

Performance Tuning Tip:

This setting, which defaults to a value of .33 (33%), defines the percentage of each frame that is devoted to loading scenery. Increasing this number can reduce "the blurries", but it can cause stutters, and can also reduce the overall frame rate. Try reducing the number to the lowest level where you still get smooth scenery paging. This will vary depending on disk speed as well as the type of flying, as well as the selected scenery settings.

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01

is the only tweak I actually make to my .Cfg

I never get blurries running p3d on a ssd.

Is  DXTory a good tool for recording flight sim and uploading to you tube?

ZORAN

I tried DXTory as a frame rate limiter with P3D on unlimited.

Definitely smoother than internal limiting with no downside I can find.

Rivatuner and DXTory seemed almost identical.

DXtory might be a fraction smoother but could be my imagination.

Problem is Dxtory costs 3800JPY!

Thanks anyway for the tip.

A drop in FPS from internally limiting the maximum frame rate may seem odd, but it is normal because with the limiter activated, the sim dedicates more CPU cycles to the loadup of scenery and terrain during a flight compared to having the maximum FPS set at unlimited.

Thanks for the background info

EVGA precision has fps limiter as well. Working flawlessly for me.

CPU Intel Core i9 13900K, GPU :RTX 4090 FE, RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB@6000MHz, SSD : Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe M2, Monitor : Asus PG42 UQ