Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

dll.xml, exe.xml, simobjects.cfg - Confused about location

Ok, so I'm a bit confused about these files. I find two copies of each file, one in [c:\programdata\lockheed martin\prepar3d v3\] and another in [C:\Users\Andreas\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3]

I have two questions:

1. Why are there duplicates?

2. If I need to adjust entries into either of these files, do I need to do the adjustments in both copies of the file?

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

A fresh Install Of Prepar3D V3 (Default)  will Not have either a dll.xml or exe.xml file in AppData\Roaming\Lockheed\Prepar3D V3,  Programs like EZdok, FSUIP, GSX, Orbx Objectflow, Ultimate Traffic 2, Active Sky next and many more will automatically Create either or both files in this location to kick-start these programs.  (The Old way, but currently is still in very much use)

A fresh Install Of Prepar3D V3 (Default) will Have both of these files in   ProgramData\Lockheed\Prepar3D V3. This is the new way for Developers but the only program i have used that uses both of these files in ProgramData is Sode.

If I need to adjust entries into either of these files, do I need to do the adjustments in both copies of the file?

On a rare occasion you might get a program "Utility" that will Install Entries into both exe.xml and dll.xml files in both Locations, but this has never happened to me.

So for 99% of the programs and Utilizes I have used have only added Entries in the exe.xml + dll.xml files in the AppData\Roaming Path 

There should be no duplicate simobjects.cfg file but there can duplicate dll.xml and exe.xml files. P3D loads and combines both copies. If you are making changes, make them in either but not both.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thank you, Poppet. Currently, me and a friend are trying to figure out how to get UT2 working in p3d v3.2 and 3.3. The youtube guide that we see is being referred to several places (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgLHKl4CZk) says something about copying the simobject.cfg from programdata to the root folder of lockheed martin (at 5m30s).

You see, I currently got the "your flight simulator didn't shut down properly, and you need to reboot your pc" message that doesn't go away even after several reboots. I don't get the ut2 addon entry in the sim. My friend (who is running 3.3.5 of p3d) doesn't get the error, but he doesn't have the ut2 addon entry in the sim. He doesn't get any traffic in the sim.

I've tried to start the ut2 configurator, but it crashes just when it's done loading. It's all very confusing as to what is causing it, and we are left wondering if we need to duplicate all the xml and cfg files that now exist in the roaming and the programdata folders and the simobject.cfg files that in addition to those locations also exist in the root folder of p3d.......

Is the simobjects.cfg file supposed to be in the root folder of p3d v3 or in the roaming/lm/p3dv3 folder or in the programdata\lm\p3dv3 folder?

Andreas Stangenes

The YouTube link you posted is a Guide to Install UT2 with the Migration Tool,   This tool actually makes something that is very straight forward to Install and makes it very complicated.

Remember

Using No Migration Tool. 

There is only 2 things that you need to see UT2 Traffic in Prepar3D

(1) To set up your exe.xml file (Hearing the Music)  I say this because when you hear the Music you have set up your exe.xml file correctly.

(2) To set up your Simobjects.cfg in ProgramData\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D V3

These are the only 2 things you need to see Traffic,  You do Not have to open or touch the UT2 control panel yet. 

When you have your exe.xml and your simobjects.cfg set up you can then set up the Control Panel.

Click on the link below and Copy and Paste your exe.xml file in AppData\Roaming and your simobjects in ProgramData and give me a peep at them 

http://www.avsim.com/topic/485133-how-do-i-install-ultimate-traffic-2-prepar3d-v3/page-12

*confused* Are you saying that we can install ut2 without the migration tool? It's been a long time since i last installed it, but I think I remember that it asks for fsx, and will abort the installation without the migration tool if you dont have fsx installed (which I do not).

Thanks so much for helping, Poppet! :) Here is the content of simobjects:

[Entry.0]
Active=True
Path=SimObjects\Airplanes
Required=True
Title=Default Airplanes

[Entry.1]
Active=True
Path=SimObjects\Avatars
Required=True
Title=Default Avatars

[Entry.10]
Path=SimObjects\IVAO_MTL
Title=IVAO MTL

[Entry.11]
Active=True
Patch=Simobjects\UT2 Aircraft
Required=True
Title=UT2 Aircraft

[Entry.12]
Path=SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft
Remarks=Automatically added from Prepar3D.cfg by Migration Tool. Set RepairConfig=0 in MigrationTool.cfg to disable.

[Entry.2]
Active=True
Path=SimObjects\Rotorcraft
Required=True
Title=Default Rotorcraft

[Entry.3]
Active=True
Path=SimObjects\GroundVehicles
Required=True
Title=Default Ground Vehicles

[Entry.4]
Active=True
Path=SimObjects\Boats
Required=True
Title=Default Boats

[Entry.5]
Active=True
Path=SimObjects\Animals
Required=True
Title=Default Animals

[Entry.6]
Active=True
Path=SimObjects\Misc
Required=True
Title=Default Misc

[Entry.7]
Active=True
Path=SimObjects\Submersible
Required=True
Title=Default Submersible

[Entry.8]
Active=True
Path=SimObjects\Weapons
Required=True
Title=Default Weapons

[Entry.9]
Active=True
Path=SimObjects\Countermeasures
Required=True
Title=Default Countermeasures

and here is the content of exe.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>exe.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Couatl</Name>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>as_btstrp_config_manager</Name>
    <Path>as_srv\as_btstrp_config_manager.exe</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>IvAp</Name>
    <Path>"C:\Program Files (x86)\IVAO\IvAp v2\ivap_fsx_bootstrap.dll"</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Name>UT2</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Flight One Software\Ultimate Traffic 2\UT2Services.exe</Path>
    <NewConsole>True</NewConsole>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

Andreas Stangenes

Yes,  Its actually very straight forward.

The Migration Tool was more relevant in Prepar3D v1.4 and V2,  Most of the Software Installers have been updated to run for V3 and those that haven't can be mostly and easily worked around.

Regarding Ultimate Traffic 2,  I highly suggest you Uninstall the Migration Tool as it can add all sorts of problems.

Ill be knocking around for another hour or so,  If you want me to talk you through it no problem,  But get rid of the Tool first.  Click on the link above,  There is a guide on Page 1.  

Like i said,  Copy and Paste them 2 files,  gives us a Gander :smile:  

Wow what a nice guide, Poppet! I'm afraid I dont have the brain power left to do it tonight. We will certaintly follow your guide to the best of our abilities tomorrow :) It's 1 am here (2 am where my friend lives) and we need our witts about us while doing this.

Andreas Stangenes

AVSIM is filled with talented people like Elaine!

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I remember when she couldn't even SPELL geek,  now she are one!!

:)

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Andreas Stangenes said

I have two questions:
2. If I need to adjust entries into either of these files, do I need to do the adjustments in both copies of the file?

...  AND in subsequent reply...

...trying to figure out how to get UT2 working in p3d v3.2 and 3.3."

Andy,

I would be very interested to find out how this turned out for you… I've been considering either UT2 or MT 6.

Currently, my problem is that I can't get EXE.XML to behave properly as;

1. trackIR5 will not launch at all, and;

2.Pilotedge will not execute as administrator..

EXE.XMLs Below

J:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\exe.xml, shows;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
 <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>as_btstrp_config_manager</Name>
    <Path>as_srv\as_btstrp_config_manager.exe</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

2. J:\Users\NewChas\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\exe.xml, shows;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>TrackIr5</Name>
    <Path>J:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TrackIR5\TrackIR5.exe</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ActiveSky 2016</Name>
    <Disabled>false</Disabled>
    <Path>J:\Program Files (x86)\HiFi\AS16_P3D\AS16.exe</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>PilotEdge P3d</Name>
    <Disabled>false</Disabled>
    <Path>J:\Program Files (x86)\PilotEdge\pilotedge_p3d.exe</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

is there anything obvious that I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks,
Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Ok, so I'm a bit confused about these files. I find two copies of each file, one in [c:\programdata\lockheed martin\prepar3d v3\] and another in [C:\Users\Andreas\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3]

I have two questions:

Backwards compatibility with FSX. All three locations are valid (program data, local and roaming) for cfg files and P3D searches each folder sequentially for valid files and entries. Inconsistencies can cause CTDs, though.

1. trackIR5 will not launch at all, and;

2.Pilotedge will not execute as administrator

The Entries in your exe.xml file are only Commands to launch the Programs,  If there was an issue with either Add On (Corrupt Install location)  they will never launch anyway.   You could try and Uninstall the Utilities and then reinstall them again.  Make sure no Entries are left in either exe.xml file and start again 

===================

You have an Entry for ASN in ProgramData 

as_srv\as_btstrp_config_manager.exe

And one for ASN2016 in AppData\Roaming,  I'm not sure can you run these 2 Add On  Entries simultaneous  ?  Maybe you can i don't know 

J:\Program Files (x86)\HiFi\AS16_P3D\AS16.exe

A fresh Install Of Prepar3D V3 (Default)  will Not have either a dll.xml or exe.xml file in AppData\Roaming\Lockheed\Prepar3D V3,  Programs like EZdok, FSUIP, GSX, Orbx Objectflow, Ultimate Traffic 2, Active Sky next and many more will automatically Create either or both files in this location to kick-start these programs.  (The Old way, but currently is still in very much use)

A fresh Install Of Prepar3D V3 (Default) will Have both of these files in   ProgramData\Lockheed\Prepar3D V3. This is the new way for Developers but the only program i have used that uses both of these files in ProgramData is Sode.

On a rare occasion you might get a program "Utility" that will Install Entries into both exe.xml and dll.xml files in both Locations, but this has never happened to me.

So for 99% of the programs and Utilizes I have used have only added Entries in the exe.xml + dll.xml files in the AppData\Roaming Path 

Your first sentence is incorrect. A fresh vanilla install does create those files.

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3296/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/RTX 4060ti/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

Your first sentence is incorrect. A fresh vanilla install does create those files.

The dll.xml and exe.xml are used to load add-ons.  What add-ons are installed by Lockheed?

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10