I'm thinking of buying this video card. What do you think about the GTX 1070? Is it worth?

Thanks!

What do you have today?

Your question is a bit like "thinking of buying a Porsche Boxster, is it worth"?

That depends on your circumstances..

Bert

Personally, I would say it depends on how much money you want to spend..

The GTX970 is a great card, if you do not need the "top of the line"..

The GTX1070 is brand new - and more money

Bert

I'd be curious if the performance gain justifies a 1070 or 1080, as opposed to say a 980ti, that can be had for about $450 now... Especially when both FSX and P3D are heavily CPU bound. 

The 1070 appears to be a great card,but if you're asking if it's worth paying $250 to $300 above retail just to have it now IMO that's a no go.

Jose A.

Core Components: AMD Ryzen7 7700X - G.Skill FlareX 32 GB DDR5 6000 CL36 (XMP)  - Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX  - Asus ROG Strix RTX3060 12gb

Storage: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB - AData sx8200 Pro NVMe 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB

WIN10 - P3D v.5.3 HF2 - XPLANE 11 - MSFS

1070 is supposed to outperform a 980ti by a decent margin.  If it was between the two, the 1070 would be the way to go.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

I'd be curious if the performance gain justifies a 1070 or 1080, as opposed to say a 980ti, that can be had for about $450 now... Especially when both FSX and P3D are heavily CPU bound. 

A bit of perspective here: http://techreport.com/news/30284/prices-fall-on-nvidia-maxwell-cards-but-deals-theyre-not  For me, the price of the 980Ti would have to be somewhat lower than it is today to make me call it a "great deal".  Just my 2 cents...

Regards,

Greg

People have achieved good overclocks with the 1070, almost to match the performance of the 1080. If you stay patient until non founders edition cards come out, it just may be worth the investment. This is my plan at least.

Whether its the 1070 or the 980ti ... you're spending a lot of money so might as well go big or home. 

That's exactly what i did. Got a second hand 980Ti which is about the same performance wise in P3D for half the price of a 1080.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Especially when both FSX and P3D are heavily CPU bound.

Not entirely true for P3D. On a flight last night while monitoring my setup, my CPU was running at roughly 33% usage while my GPU (970GTX) was maxed out almost constantly. As a result I've upgraded to a 980Ti which should provide more legroom.

Not entirely true for P3D. On a flight last night while monitoring my setup, my CPU was running at roughly 33% usage while my GPU (970GTX) was maxed out almost constantly. As a result I've upgraded to a 980Ti which should provide more legroom.

Good to know! Thanks!

1070 is supposed to outperform a 980ti by a decent margin.  If it was between the two, the 1070 would be the way to go.

Borrowed from another thread: https://www.youtube....h?v=myDYnofz_JE. It would seem that there's very little difference between the Founders Edition 1080 and a factory overclocked 980ti - the 1070 will perform worse than this. Wait for an OEM version of the 1070 and see how that compares.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

The CPU usage is closely tied to only one core of the CPU.. so 33% does not really indicate anything.

The main core could be at 100% and the other three cores at 10% for an average of 33%.

Bert