Sign in to follow this  
Vinny002

10 tank version of the DC-6

Hi, guys!

Question for you. Is there going to be a 10 tank version of the DC-6 which have a range of around 4,000 nautical miles? Thanks!

Cheers

Vincent Majerowicz

Hi, guys!

Is anyone here? I would like to know if the 10 tank version of the DC-6 which have a range of around 4,000 nautical miles will be in the update eventually? Thanks!

Cheers

Vincent Majerowicz

I cannot speak for PMDG, but since they put any effort into modelling one specific aircraft (V5-NCG if I'm not much mistaken) including mislabellings etc. as they occur in the real thing, I can hardly imagine they will just derive from that now.

ACH1506.jpg

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.” — Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

What IS the range of the DC6 ? Could it make it from JFK-LHR?

Peter Osborn

Depends on payload... most important when asking about range.  I think most operators had to carry payload to make money, so trips usually included stops at places like Goose Bay, Gander and Shannon.  My first trip across the North Atlantic was in a DC-8 from CHS with stops at BGR and SNN before getting to FRA. We were packed with GIs.

Dan Downs KCRP

The maximum range of this DC-6 is about 2,000 NM (no payload, full tanks, not too much headwind, only small reserve). CYQX - EINN is not a problem even with payload. JFK - LHR (>3,000NM) is too far even in ferry mode. Here's a rough approximation for estimating what's in and what not:

In cruise, each engine burns ~625lbs / hour => ~2,500 lbs total fuel burn per hour. Your tank volume is 20,000 lbs (technically a tiny bit less, but...). So that would allow ~8 hours of cruise, but of course you will need to subtract fuel for taxiing, takeoff and climb phase (and a reserve of course).

For a rough estimation, knock off two hours from cruise (climbing to FL200 will take you around 50mins, but only get you as far as ~120NM. Plus you're running @climb power, consuming more fuel than in cruise) => 6 hours x 270 NM (TAS @FL200) = 1,620 NM plus 100NM climb + 100 NM descend => ~1,800NM under normal conditions, maybe +100NM depending on payload and another +100NM depending on wind.

EDIT: The longest flight I did so far was PHX-BOS (a bit more than 2,000NM), but I had to do an intermediate stop at TOL; otherwise I would have arrived completely dry (~1,000lbs short of fuel for that, but I had a headwind, so...)

ACH1506.jpg

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.” — Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Hi, guys!

Question for you, is there a real DC-6 that have a range of 2,000 NM? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent