Sign in to follow this  
marty2756

Coming back to FSX (SE)

Hi

Having switched to x-plane a couple of years ago, mainly because of practically no ATC, no real good weather engine and lack of addons like fscaptain, fspassanger, etc... I'm now trying to return to FSX (I just bought FSX:SE Premium edition).

A couple of questions:

1) Weather: I used FSWX before, and it was good, algouth I'm looking now for ASN. (I understand if the best weather engine right now).

I read over there there's a new AS2016 coming. This will "replace" ASN ? if so, what differences are and will I have to "rebuy" the whole product ?

2) Anybody knows if EZDOK is really working on FSX:SE ? Or there is any new alternative ? (Looked videos of Opus camera effects and 3d cockpit effect but its not even near ezdok features)

3) I would like to add FTX: Global to refresh old textures.. but I was surprised for the price.. I saw it something like 75 u$s (99 aud) am I right? Is it worth it ?  Is it "on sale" anytime ? I couldnt find any less expensive alternative for global textures.

1. AS16 will be a whole new product to replace ASN and will be a new purchase but they have not indicated if and how much the upgrade path will be for ASN users. If you want to avoid paying and upgrade fee then wait for AS16.

2. Don't know, using boxed FSX.

3. You just missed the sale on all ORBX products that lasted the whole month of May. They are also going to have a price increase. The only alternative is GEX but you'll have to buy the regions. As far as is it worth buying, only you can decide that as many people like Global and many people like GEX.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

As for #2 yes EZDOK works fine in FSXSE. The only addon I find that don't work that I miss and it's freeware is FSRecorder. Some say they got an old version working, but so far, it don't work for me.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Besides FSRecorder, the only FSX addons who do not work under FSX Steam that I am aware of are Reality XP gauges. The WX radar is now nicely replaced by the Milviz/Rex one, though.

Thanks

Is there any tool currently to create phtoreal scenery ? (I'm talking for full regions, not airport photoscenery)

I've read about some old programs... tileproxy or fs earth tiles but some users report not to be working now.

Ref #3 - yes you did miss the Orbx May Sale, However, they in the past had had mid-year and end-of-year sales, you Nov-Dec might be a good time to check them out.  And for FSXSE there is an addon HD Airport Graphics that seems nice, Steam Store ofc.

Don't know about textures, but Freemesh X updates most of the world to LOD10 MESHES (same as the default USA I believe.) This might be useful to you if, as you say, you wish to create your own photoreal scenery.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

ASN is great. I use it along with REX4. Froogle just had a feature on the new release on his last news video.

https://youtu.be/zFOUKCO4w0I

As regards ORBX they do 2 sales a year. One in May and one at Christmas where they offer 30% off all their products.