Sign in to follow this  
Fiveholer

CS 130 AP Help.

Hey everyone....besides having to fly with the sound off to get rid of a 10 FPS difference. I am pretty happy with the plane. I just can't seem to grasp the IAS/ALT concept of the AP. I was going to copy/paste what the manual says but Acrobat is being buggy about what it wants to let me copy/paste. Anyway...the manual is not making sense on how operate both parts of it to me. How do I select an airspeed? Get the aircraft to that speed and press the button? I am guessing you can only press the ALT button when you manually climb to your desired ALT. The plane won't climb/descend to a pre-selected ALT like newer craft? I am just lost on how the dang thing operates. Please help, lol, it will contribute ALOT to how much I enjoy this aircraft. :)Danny AE%20Sig.gif[/a][a href=http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=root&SearchTerm=fritsche&Sort=Added&ScanMode=0&Go=Change+View]My paints...[/a][a href=http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?photographersearch=Danny%20Fritsche%20-%20Airplanespotters&distinct_entry=true]See me at Airliners.net...[/a][a href=http://www.airplanespotters.com]Also at airplanespotters.com...[/a]

Danny, You are right, the airplane won't climb to a pre-selected altitude, it will merely adjust pitch to maintain the altitude that you select when you place the knob on "Height" on the A/P and push to engage this function. You can use manual pitch in the climb and descent until you are closed to desired alt, then use the Height function to hold altitude. I have not been able to get the IAS function to operate correctly, though some others say they have. You need to move the knob around from Height to IAS. When you engage this function by pushing in the knob, the airplane will change pitch to maintain the IAS that the airplane is moving when the function is engaged (not pre-selected number). The autopilot then maintains an IAS and you use power (the throttles) to control your rate of climb or descent. I have tried with stable IAS, say starting a descent from cruise, disengage height, then engage IAS, bring the throttles back slightly. My result is that the airplane dips to 1,000 fpm descent, starts to overspeed, and then bucks up to 1,000 fpm to bring the airplane back to the IAS...this means the IAS function is way too ham fisted and the airplance follows a sine curve for climb/descent. What you should get is a smooth descent that follows the power reduction.Some say it works (I have similar, even worse probs in climb), but for me, this function on the A/P is not usable and I just use the pitch function and throttles. If others have a different procedure and have been able to get the IAS function to perform without making the aircrew reach for their airsick bags, I'm all ears.regards,

Hey, thanks, that makes a LOT of since...I couldn't figure out exactly how the knowbs worked. I will try with IAS and see what happens. Time to go play. Thanks again. :)AE%20Sig.gif[/a][a href=http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=root&SearchTerm=fritsche&Sort=Added&ScanMode=0&Go=Change+View]My paints...[/a][a href=http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?photographersearch=Danny%20Fritsche%20-%20Airplanespotters&distinct_entry=true]See me at Airliners.net...[/a][a href=http://www.airplanespotters.com]Also at airplanespotters.com...[/a]

Guest jboweruk

Height will climb/descend to a given altitude, but it does it weird.Here's how I work it:first hit height, then either let her settle out or use the 3 pos lever to pitch the nose up a little. Now set the altitude up, admittedly I'm not sure how to do this in the plane but I'm running FSPax so can enter altitude with the keyboard. Now she'll climb to that altitude herself with no more probs. Haven't worked out the IAS hold yet though, or as I say where to put the altitude in on the plane, but hey I got the w/end comin' up.

"Height" is only for maintaining the altitude you are at the moment you press the knob. If I remember right the moment you move the pitch knob, it kicks out of the "Height" mode.If you select "I.A.S" (Slide the triangular little pointer along the right side of the knob) it holds the current speed no matter how much power you have. Full power to climb and flight idle to descend (or ajust pitch by ajusting power). There's no way to preselect anything, you have to be awake ;). So you can't keep both current altitude and steady speed at the same time, it's either one. The moment you chose one, it kicks out the other. That's how it's supposed to work.Unfortunately the I.A.S. is very unstable at the time, you better bring a seasick pill and lots of paper bags for your crew and troops. Yesterday I had lots of fuel and cargo, and it seemed a bit more stable in this heavy state at I.A.S. climb, but I dumped most of the fuel and the descend was a terrible ride :-erks. Had to go to Pitch mode eventually ...Happy flying!Eagle