Sign in to follow this  
MarkHargrove

PMDG 737NGX-800 -- Keyboard Shortcuts Don't Work

Using Prepar3D v3.3.5 Professional Plus, I cannot get PMDG keyboard shortcuts to work.  Specifically, I'm trying to get the Engine 1/2 'Idle' and 'Cutoff' commands to work so I can map them to buttons on my Saitek throttle quads using FSUIPC.  I've got the mapping done -- that's pretty trivial -- but neither button worked.  I then tried the direct keyboard shortcuts (CTL-SHIFT-F1, F2, F3, F4).  They don't work either.  I made sure that any conflicting keyboard commands in the P3D 'Standard.xml' config file have been deleted (they have been).

Digging in a little more, it appears that NONE of the PMDG-specific assignments are working, and I cannot program new sequences via the FMC.  When I press a LSK to select any particular command I see a new screen that says "Press key sequence" (or something like that), but as soon as I press ANY key (including the CTL or SHIFT keys that are supposed to be key MODIFIERS) the display immediately switches to 'New combination' -- and that's it.  The only active option at that point is LSK6 - Return and the keyboard shortcut is unaffected.  Similarly, I cannot assign a new key-combo to an 'unassigned' command.

I'm a bit of a loss here - what else can I check?

-M.

I'm a bit of a loss here - what else can I check?

Do you have any keyboard software running in the background? Is FSUIPC or some other software intercepting the commands?

Kyle Rodgers

Yes I have FSUIPC running.  I have no key-press events being handled by FSUIPC -- only buttons and axes.  FSUIPC is actually issuing keystrokes in response to button pushes -- but those keystrokes are never seen by PMDG.

I have a bit of further information -- some keystrokes are getting through to PMDG and are working -- default FSX/P3D assignments such as the F1, F2, F3, F4 keys for controlling the throttle are working.

Later today I'll try disabling FSUIPC and trying again.

-M.

I have a bit of further information -- some keystrokes are getting through to PMDG and are working -- default FSX/P3D assignments such as the F1, F2, F3, F4 keys for controlling the throttle are working.

This suggests there is something intercepting those commands in between the key and the aircraft.

Kyle Rodgers

You need to preset the keycommand you set FSUIPC to send on a button push in the PMDG FMS options for keycommands.  You also need to ensure that key is not already assigned elsewhere in P3D.  I am using FSUIPC to trigger key presses on button pushes too, all works as expected.

Dan Downs KCRP