Sign in to follow this  
RamonB

How about a 1,000-core chip for our Simulators

It's an FPGA chipset for field controls and data collections. Not intended for PC programs.

Zicheng Cai

You are probably right.

But what amazes me is how far technology has come. (In a very short ~40 years)

My first PC had a single core Intel 8066 chip, running at 5-6 MHz.

This one potentially has 1,000 cores; each capable of running at 178 GHz.

It's an FPGA chipset for field controls and data collections. Not intended for PC programs.

This is not totally correct.  The article states that prior efforts had used an FPGA, but not so with this chip.   Though you are right about not for PCs.  Nice to see that they are working on the software compiler technology to exploit its capabilities too.  This sort of stuff is the harbinger of our future: making nearly everything "intelligent". 

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I wonder who will be the first one to tweak the affinity mask.

FSX was designed to run up to

unfortunately (according to Phil Taylor from MS). Watch the whole video if you want.  

Quote from NickN's bible:

#2 - Multicore and FSX: Although it is a fact that FSX will use up to 256 physical cores (if available) there is a diminishing return on investment past 6 cores. That is the part the MS marketing engine left out when it was announced how many cores FSX would run on.

Barry Friedman

Now you know how the govt can monitor every phone call....put them down for 1000....nevermind DARPA already had something better for 5 years.

LOL and still it will not run P3D smoothly with all the sliders to the right and heavy clouds!! :crazy:

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

I'd rather have a 10 ghz quad core...

Quote from NickN's bible:

#2 - Multicore and FSX: Although it is a fact that FSX will use up to 256 physical cores (if available) there is a diminishing return on investment past 6 cores. That is the part the MS marketing engine left out when it was announced how many cores FSX would run on.

It's puffery. 

each capable of running at 178 GHz.

I was shocking when I read this, but apparently you missed a decimal.

one day hopefuly we would have sim that can use all the newer hardware ...

Image removed as image is no longer available.

No the story says the University of Glascow and Massachusetts chip design was a FPGA not this one from Univ of California.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I need the affinity mask for cores 1-999! Leaving core 0 for the OS.  :lol:

James McLees