Sign in to follow this  
bobrbend

VAS Management

I run out of VAS on almost every PMDG 777 overseas flight.

I fly those with no add-on scenery (except UTX and FS Global 10 if that counts).

I have all traffic off, so that's not it.

I have a decent system: Intel 6700K running at 4.5, 16 GB of Trident ran, GTX 970, etc.

Prepar3D has its own SSD. Am currently running 3.5, but have had the same issue since I started using Prepar3D at 3.0.

I run Windows 10 64.

There's a lot of advice about how to set up Prerar3D out for respected sources such as Nick N., Ron Ainscough, etc. Which I've read and followed, but still have the issue.

My question is (finally), which setting (graphics, scenery, lighting, etc.) should I turn down. In other words, which one have the most dramatic effect on VAS.

Tanks much,

Dan Cole

Dan Cole

Dan, if you are using windowed mode try switching to full screen. This has a favorable impact on VAS use.

I use all of Orbx North America stuff and a few others.. I have a lot of add on airports.  I have found that the Orbx Vector has a big impact unless you turn off some of the eye candy you don't need at FL340 such as small streams and power lines. You don't see this stuff from up high.  I have found that some sceneries really kill VAS, for example overflying FlyTampa Montreal would bring my system to it's knees so I simply turned off the photoscenery BGLs and that problem when away.  I have played with many settings such as texture max load none to measurable impact so I leave it at 4096 and all my sliders are to the right (6700K at 4.7 and GTX980Ti).

I have not had to save and restart a long 777 flight since switching to full screen, taking care of housekeeping as mentioned, and moving to v3.3.5

Hope this helps.

Dan Downs KCRP

I second the orbx vector impact. I love the program, but it's effects on vas are dramatic when all options are ticked.

But the OP doesn't have Vector, only UTX and FS Global.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Does this repeatably happen when flying between specific airports?

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Dan,

Make sure that your Level of detail radius slider is not set to the max. Go with the middle option. Setting it to the last two options to the right (higher) will bring VAS problems up quite quickly. In my experience, this slider can have a huge impact on your VAS, maybe more than any other. In the 777 setting this slider above the middle position is unnecessary anyway when flying at FL350+ above the clouds and probably, at least sometimes at night.

Only crank this slider up when doing short scenic flights.

Hope this helps.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Does this repeatably happen when flying between specific airports?

No, the longer the flight, the more vas usage/leak, so KEWR to VHHH, for instance impossible.

Dan,

Make sure that your Level of detail radius slider is not set to the max. Go with the middle option. Setting it to the last two options to the right (higher) will bring VAS problems up quite quickly. In my experience, this slider can have a huge impact on your VAS, maybe more than any other. In the 777 setting this slider above the middle position is unnecessary anyway when flying at FL350+ above the clouds and probably, at least sometimes at night.

Only crank this slider up when doing short scenic flights.

Hope this helps.

Will try as well as full screen mode. I have been using windowed mode.

Thanks.

Dan Cole

To add one thing, just re-booted, started P3D and put the 772 at KEWR-no addon scenery othe than that mentioned above. Using the FSUIPC VAS monitor (which depicts VAS remaining instead of VAS used) and the number is 1.379732. I'll never make it to EGLL.

I did turn down level of detail radius, but can't go to full screen and see the monitor.

I am running ASN, which I forgot to mention.

I do have a parallel FSX installation on a separate SSD. When I start that up same way have almost 2GB's of VAS remaining.

I'll start playing with the sliders, I guess and see what happens.

Dan Cole

The only interesting thing I can add to this thread is that I usually start with roughly the same VAS remaining, around 1,3 Gb. Contrary to the OP it tends to stay above 1 Gb, unless I fly above "complicated" scenery, such as London in Orbx UK. In that area VAS remaining drops to around 800 Mb, sometimes a bit lower. I fly at least five flights per week and OOM's are rare, no more than once a month or so. Each OOM is annoying, but I must say I am very happy with P3DV3.

I also have Vector installed, use ASN and fly A2A Cherokee or C182 or Twin Otter Extended.

No, the longer the flight, the more vas usage/leak, so KEWR to VHHH, for instance impossible

I would still try a different airport than VHHH. Certain approaches into VHHH has been discovered to create VAS leaks for some PMDG 777 users when loaded into the FMS. I would begin by making sure to isolate it to something outside of specific airports.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I recently had also an OOM in new EDDF v2 in P3D V3, and I did the following that helped:

1. Lowered LOD from Ultra to High,

2. Autogen silders to dense or lower, Mesh resolution to 5m or higher, texture resolution 15 cm or higher, tesselation factor high (hardware tesselation enabled),

3. Make sure that texture display resolution in the sim is not 4096 but set to 1024 or 2048,

4. Reduce physical resolution of the aircraft texture files (requires image editing).

I realize that even the PMDG 777 comes with 4096 (4k) aircraft textures that will be loaded in memory regardless what resolution you have set in the simulator. I reduced the relevant 4k textures to 2048 and mipmapped them at the sime time. If you still have trouble you can reduce them even to 1024 without much visual impact.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

I would still try a different airport than VHHH. Certain approaches into VHHH has been discovered to create VAS leaks for some PMDG 777 users when loaded into the FMS. I would begin by making sure to isolate it to something outside of specific airports.

Thanks, but its no different at RKSI, ZBZZ or RJAA.

Dan Cole

No, the longer the flight, the more vas usage/leak, so KEWR to VHHH, for instance impossible.

Hi Dan,

Are you by chance programming the STAR and Runway at the departure airport or waiting until closer to the destination airport? Also, are you experiencing the OOM at about 8-10 hours into the flight?

23.png

Hi Dan,

Are you by chance programming the STAR and Runway at the departure airport or waiting until closer to the destination airport? Also, are you experiencing the OOM at about 8-10 hours into the flight?

Yes, I thought that issue was gone, but I'll give it a shot and program them when I closer to destination.

I would say closer to 5-6.

Dan Cole