Sign in to follow this  
Anxu00

FSX-SE Stability

All,

I have been on P3D 2 and 3.1 for a while, but recently the microstutters that were always there are getting on my nerve, so I am considering going back to FSX-SE.  If you have ran FSX-SE rock solid for months, I am interested in knowing what combination of add-ons you are using.  I had FSX-SE a year ago, with just the ORBX regions, UTX GEX but occasionally I still have crashes.  With P3D and the same combo, I rarely have any crash at all, but the microstutters and the lousy AA are pushing me back.

Thanks in advance.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Not sure what answer you are expecting. There are no documented crashless addon combinations. Every computer is different. If you have issues, there is lots of help to be had in the CTD forum.

Let me rephrase my question then, in general if you have your FSX-SE very stable, rarely seeing crashes, then could you share what you use with me?  I am just trying to see if there is a common thread.  

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I've run FSX:SE for well over a year, and it's terrific.  I wrote a post regarding FSX:SE just yesterday which contains some good information on using SE. including compatibility with addons. See post #34 on THIS THREAD.

These days I use FSX:SE pretty much only for Beta Testing, and I use P3DV3.3.5 for Beta Testing and regular flights.  I don't suffer any type of problem (including Microstutters) in either of them, but my feeling is that if you have them in one, you might well have them in the other. 

Feel free to post  your system specs, P3D.CFG, and the conditions (including addons) under which you have microstutters and I'd be happy to give things a look.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I am running FSX SE with ORBX,  ASN, REX, My Traffic, FSCaptain. No issues.

For the price, cannot go wrong.

These days I use FSX:SE pretty much only for Beta Testing, and I use P3DV3.3.5 for Beta Testing and regular flights. 

So you are using P3D V3.3.5 for day to day flights?  My system is an i7-2700K o/c to 4.8 Ghz paired with a GTX980.  The P3D cfg file contains only one tweak: FiberFrameFraction=0.01.  I am still on P3D v3.1 however.  I use ASN, ORBX regions, Global, FSDT, UTX and REX.  The microstutters are always with ORBX around airport scenery take-off and landing, in cruise I don't have stutters. I only use RealAir, A2A and Flight 1 aircrafts.

I am running FSX SE with ORBX,  ASN, REX, My Traffic, FSCaptain. No issues.

For the price, cannot go wrong.

Thanks

Vu Pham

So you are using P3D V3.3.5 for day to day flights?

That is correct. 

The only thing I have added to P3D.CFG is HighMemFix.  I don't use Affinity Mask because my processor handles threads better than I could and I don't have other software that requires thread adjustments - though using Process Lasso to remove P3D from core zero might be more beneficial... still, I'm not having and problems so I'll spend my time flying instead of tweaking.

The 2700K is a terrific processor, but I'd use the AF setting with it.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I'm also running FSX:SE since January, and I can only recall 1 CTD in that time.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

FSX:SE is rock stable for me. Using the DX10 Fixer, and a few minor tweaks, and I'm seeing excellent results. It's my go to sim for flying airliners, which leaves my P3D copy a little neglected.