Sign in to follow this  
brack4712

Split Scimitar

Personally I think a visual model only update would be a perfectly acceptable compromise. I understand the simulation realism and data arguments, but external appearance is also a realism issue, especially if you operate as an airline which has a lot of split scimitar aircraft.

• Upvote 4

ki9cAAb.jpg

I doubt PMDG would go that way... But who knows?!

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I hope they would consider it. People requesting the split scimitar wingtips seem mostly concerned with visual model appearance and could probably live with no difference to the drag and fuel burn. This is a desktop simulator and not a training device.

ki9cAAb.jpg

... This is a desktop simulator and not a training device.

Not to PMDG  :lol:

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Split Scimitar could be nice indeed, so before that, I just want to know where is the promised 900ER?? 

• Upvote 1

Fabian Fuchs  belgium-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gi

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Well, because everything I've come to know about PMDG, tells me, that they won't do anything 'half' - or the easy way... The only real example I can think of, was the 747-8i extension for their current 747 series, and I'm fairly certain, that they won't continue down that line...

Besides, I seem to recall, that they've already said, that they won't do an external update, without the correct performance data included (I could be mis-remembering, though)...

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

I don't see why not...

I knew this was going to come up, but this is actually a very poor reference.

Here's an explanation by RSR a while back in a similar thread, with a similar point being made:

The P-8 model was created by us back in 3Q12 for an altogether different application for which our work was invited by Boeing. 

Since we had the mdl laying around doing nothing, we figured you guys might enjoy having access to it because it is something new and different.  It cost us nothing to add the item to the base package as a nice gift for all of you, and we felt it would be enjoyed because it is yet another variant of the 737NG series airplane.

I probably shouldn't need to say this, but I will:  The performance data, operational data, data related to most of the military systems, the application, integration and operation of the sensor suites carried onboard are mostly classified and those that aren't classified are very sensitive in nature and information related to them is tightly controlled.  Any documentation related to those pieces of information are only available to people who need them and to companies that have classified information handling procedures in compliance with US Federal laws.

PMDG is not one of those companies, nor do we wish to be, and no we haven't been exposed to any of it.

Again, I point out that this model was created originally for Boeing at their request a couple of years ago- so it was not consuming development resources during this update cycle.

Why did we choose not to do a complete P-8 simulation or a BBJ or the SSW mod?  For all of the reasons above.  This update cycle was about P3D only originally, but then became about FSX-SE when it debuted.  This cycle had nothing to do with adding new aircraft to the simulation and we have stated that all along.
  • Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

I knew this was going to come up, but this is actually a very poor reference.

Here's an explanation by RSR a while back in a similar thread, with a similar point being made:

I remembered that. I was just pointing out that it isn't beneath PMDG to do something visual only. But it is rare.

Personally I'd rather not have it done just visually. The P-8 is fun to play with being in the Navy myself but in all honesty I don't fly it that much to really care about the performance differences. Split-Scimitar wingtips on a plane I fly a lot for a VA Id like the performance data to go with it. If I had a vote I'd rather have a proper PMDG 737MAX at some point, I know that would be WAY down the road but still cool.

Personally I would much rather see a second PAID expansion pack, for the NGX which incorporates both the -900ER, split-scimitar, BBJ and other items, all modelled with the correct performance data etc.

The weather radar as an example was a nice gift from PMDG and shows that they certainly have been looking at the NGX as an evolving product, so lets see what the future offers!

The change to performance data will be small. You probably won't notice it unless you look hard. If PMDG have to obtain more data the cost might make such an update uneconomic at typical expansion pack prices. Being pragmatic, a visual only update might be the only way we'll see these wing tips until a 737MAX sim is released.

• Upvote 1

ki9cAAb.jpg

I would rather have a Max version... so that I could build my cockpit around that.... Max Cockpit would save me lots of mip stuff, relegating most of the stuff to screens....mip and efis would be pratcically the same and apard from Gear lever and AFDS I would not need to buy much :D

I know it is probaby a project far far away!!!

Wow, that was like stepping on a dogs foot.  I've never heard such howling in my life.  From grown up adults, no less.  I'm really impressed.

• Upvote 1