Sign in to follow this  
JimJ

Where to begin?

Hi all,

I am completely new to the world of flight sims, and was wondering where the best place to start was. I know everyone has their own personal favorite, but that favorite may be partially influenced by a large existing investment in addons.

So I was wondering, if you were starting today, with no previous investment, what do you think the best route would be? FSX boxed, FSX Steam, P3D, xPlane, or something else? I am mainly interested in general aviation planes,

with some day trying out airliners. I am completely content with a program that takes a more structured approach to learning.  My only interest in combat planes would be in the form of classic warbirds flown for recreation, not in combat.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. ---- thanks --- Jim

If you could get FSX boxed at a reasonable price, that is where I would begin..

In today's world, FSX SE is a more practical choice.

Then add a quality plane like the a2a Cherokee and some nice scenery for where you want to fly, and you are on your way.

Bert

Each has their pros and cons.  I happily use multiple sims side-by-side.

Bert's suggestion of FSX Steam isn't a bad idea, since it quite regularly goes on sale for barely anything. That, and there's a wide selection of GA aircraft to fit nearly any taste. In my opinion however, it does take a significant investment for your surrounding environment to look good.

I personally lean towards X-Plane; the overall investment in scenery is quite a bit lower since a good amount is available as freeware / donationware. Areas that are covered in OSM (OpenStreetMap) data are about as good as you'll see in any simulator, areas that don't have good coverage are just okay.  My home region has excellent OSM coverage, so that largely influences why I prefer it as a platform (not only is my house visible, but so is my detached double car garage...).  Much less selection of aircraft, but lately more and more quality GA releases have been showing up.

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I would agree with Jimmy on this point. Without the shackles of FSX, the X-Plane learning curve will be all the better for it.As for Night-flying, well it speaks for itself.

14sigm1.jpg

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Thanks guys. The more I have been reading, it looks like FSX actaully has some flight training missions built in to help you get started, while X-Planes kind of expects you to have at least a little experience.

So, I am thinking FSX at least until I can take off and land reasonably well, then decide if I want to add more stuff to FSX or try X-Plane. Everything I read seems to agree that X-Plane has a more realistic

flight model, but I am starting to think that ultimately I will end up with both. Thanks again --- Jim

Jude --- that is one magnificent picture!!! Not sure what you mean by "Without the shackles of FSX, the X-Plane learning curve will be all the better for it," however.

FSX Steam Edition will be on sale for $7.49 starting June 23rd.

Peter

FSX Steam Edition will be on sale for $7.49 starting June 23rd.

Peter

Cool -- thanks

Everything I read seems to agree that X-Plane has a more realistic flight model

I wouldn't put stock into that. Either platform is capable of decent flight models, just as either platform is also capable of pure rubbish.

Not sure what you mean by "Without the shackles of FSX, the X-Plane learning curve will be all the better for it," however.

I think he means that there is a bit of a learning curve to using and setting up X-Plane, and it can be harder to learn how to use one simulator after becoming accustomed to another.

Either way, good luck and remember to have fun. :smile:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Welcome JimJ!

I dont know if you use YouTube very often, but if you want to learn something for Flightsim, it is a great tool for Learning new stuff, Preview products, Have fun, Discover new.... in the Flightsim world.

The big names in Flightsim world are (for search and so on) - FSX, Xplane, DCS World, A2A Simulations, PMDG, Aerosoft, Carenado, Alabeo ... just a few of them.

I wish you a good start into the awesome world of flying! ...You can get addicted very fast (this is important if you are in an relationship)  :P

The community is a great one, dont hesitate to ask and have fun!

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Thanks, I did see those tutorials, but I was actually thinking more along the lines of the AI instructor coaching you through those exercises. I did actually find a program called FSFlightSchool that does seem to provide that kind of coaching in X-Plane. The nice feature of that program is the instructor can talk you through landing any powered plane at any runway in X-Plane. Of course you do have to get to the place where you have some control over the plane to follow his directions.

Either way, good luck and remember to have fun.

I have a strong feeling that if I manage to learn how to land half way decently, I will ultimately end up with both programs. There are planes exclusive to each platform that I would love to play around with.

To start off, I'd also recommend FSX:SE. It's cheap and it's a bit better optimised for today's hardware than standard FSX. It also has a lot of tutorials and missions for someone just starting out in the world of simming and you'll learn quite a lot about flying. P3D is quite a bit more expensive, and while it runs and looks a lot better than FSX, if you decided that simming isn't really for you, you're down a lot more money.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

To start off, I'd also recommend FSX:SE. It's cheap and it's a bit better optimised for today's hardware than standard FSX. It also has a lot of tutorials and missions for someone just starting out in the world of simming and you'll learn quite a lot about flying. P3D is quite a bit more expensive, and while it runs and looks a lot better than FSX, if you decided that simming isn't really for you, you're down a lot more money.

You have a good point there. One thing I noticed the other day, not only is P3D more expensive, but so are the addons for it. I happened to see one of the planes I would like to use, and the same plane for FSX cost half of what it did if it was ported to P3D. Same plane, same company, twice the cost :)

Interesting that no one suggested DTG Flight School.  I would have thought for the low price point and it's main focus being for new budding pilots, more people would have brought it up. :)

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit