Sign in to follow this  
Cat_Dad

FSX Stops Running in Windows 10

For almost a year, I have been running FSX in windows 10 with very few problems. Now I am lucky to get FSX to stay running maybe once or twice out of a dozen starts. Nothing has changed in my system except for NVIDA driver updates  (GTX 980) and the automatic Microsoft updates. I have zero add-ons and run default aircraft. Have added the MS  FSX SP1 and 2. 

FSX runs on it's own SSD as it always has. Have reloaded FSX several times with no fix to the problem. Even tried running FSX on the C drive and still the same results.

The computer is a I 7 4790 @ 3.6 GHZ, 16 MB ram, GTX 980, Win 10 Pro 64, Ver 1511, build 10586.420.

Again the FSX use to run just fine up until  about a month ago. Even tried rolling back two or three versions of the vido drivers just to see if they might have changed something. The answer was no.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Terry

When FSX quits running, does it freeze or does it CTD?  If the latter, can you please use AppCrashView (see the AVSIM CTD Guide) and provide a copy of the report here?

Thanks.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Are you getting error codes?  Have you check your Events Viewer for FSX errors?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

For almost a year, I have been running FSX in windows 10 with very few problems. Now I am lucky to get FSX to stay running maybe once or twice out of a dozen starts. Nothing has changed in my system except for NVIDA driver updates  (GTX 980) and the automatic Microsoft updates. I have zero add-ons and run default aircraft. Have added the MS  FSX SP1 and 2. 

FSX runs on it's own SSD as it always has. Have reloaded FSX several times with no fix to the problem. Even tried running FSX on the C drive and still the same results.

The computer is a I 7 4790 @ 3.6 GHZ, 16 MB ram, GTX 980, Win 10 Pro 64, Ver 1511, build 10586.420.

Again the FSX use to run just fine up until  about a month ago. Even tried rolling back two or three versions of the vido drivers just to see if they might have changed something. The answer was no.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Terry

Anytime you upgrade to Windows10, you should check your hardware for driver updates.  Windows updates Windows and some hardware like video cards but not everything.  USB Ports, SysBus, SATA Controllers, are usually update to fix bugs found for the hardware.  I use Driver Booster which is freeware.  It just has a lot of nags to get you to purchase a license.  Still you can find out if you have any outdated drivers and you can have the program download and install them for you. 

I would also check the AVSIM CTD Guide (see link in my signature)(an excellent suggestion by Dave above!!).  It has the suggestion above about updating your drivers.  There are many other things you can do to search for the reason for your CTD's and freezes.  For instance, another suggestion would be to run the system checker to look for corrupted or missing files in Windows. 

There's also a program you can download called AppCrashView which is discussed in the AVSIM CTD Guide.  It sometimes gives a clue as to the cause of crashes.  Charliearon's suggestion above is excellent too.  The AVSIM CTD Guide shows you exactly how to find the Event Viewer, what to open, and how to search for errors.  It has a lot of images to help you figure it out.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

This is an updated version of my first post of the error log below. Basically, is the log telling me it cannot find FSX files on my F drive and the config files that get placed on the C drive? As stated in the first initial post, The program has worked fine in this config up until now. Even when I completely removed all of FSX to include the setting files and reloaded it all on the c drive, I still was getting the same program halts.

Hope this helps.

Terry

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          6/21/2016 10:13:27 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      User-PC
Description:
Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e17d3
Faulting module name: uiautomationcore.dll, version: 7.2.10586.212, time stamp: 0x56fa2107
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0004d233
Faulting process id: 0x1c94
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1cc2b1aa3eedc
Faulting application path: F:\FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\uiautomationcore.dll
Report Id: 5d8b65cf-221c-446a-a839-5decd610f331
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-06-22T02:13:27.985099900Z" />
    <EventRecordID>19227</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>User-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>10.0.61472.0</Data>
    <Data>475e17d3</Data>
    <Data>uiautomationcore.dll</Data>
    <Data>7.2.10586.212</Data>
    <Data>56fa2107</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>0004d233</Data>
    <Data>1c94</Data>
    <Data>01d1cc2b1aa3eedc</Data>
    <Data>F:\FSX\fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\uiautomationcore.dll</Data>
    <Data>5d8b65cf-221c-446a-a839-5decd610f331</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

PS:Most of the program halts come when trying to move the aircraft from one airport to another. Sometimes when switching aircraft. Also unable to view data in the call sign flight number box when selecting a aircraft. Going to reload FSX on the C drive. Was on my F drive with tons of open space and C is getting over half full Even though they are SSD's do not want to overload the C drive. and hurt computer performance. Also updated about 10 drives with the drive update program. 

I seriously doubt it is a video driver issue unless you are seeing crashes in Windows10 and not just when you run FSX.

So the faulting module of this error is the Microsoft.net module, uiautomationcore.dll, which is located in your System32 folder.  It has an issue with your installation.  If you have another version of the uiautomationcore.dll in your main FSX folder, then it could be conflicting with the one in the Windows folder.  Move the one in your fsx folder (if one is there) to a temporary folder and try again.  The uiautomationcore.dll handles memory management for your application.

So, you have a Microsoft.net problem.  FSX with SP1/SP2 uses Microsoft.net 1.1 or 2.0.  For the most part, Microsoft.nets are not backwards compatible, however, doing a Google search, I found that the latest version of Microsoft.net 4.6 will work for most applications and is backwards compatible for the most part.  However, there could have been something a developer did while programming FSX that dotnet 4.6 does not like.  I don't know.  Just thinking out loud.  In any case, the uiautomationcore.dll in your main fsx directory is possibly conflicting with the version of the uiautomationcore.dll in your system32 folder.  If you do not have it there, then I would run the run the setup dotnet verifier - https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebner/2008/10/13/net-framework-setup-verification-tool-users-guide/ to make sure your dotnets are properly installed.

There's also a dotnet repair tool your can try too - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135.  This info is all in the AVSIM CTD Guide.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

Did as you suggested and removed the ui dll from FSX. Doing so it would not even start so put back and program starts again but dies when aircraft is taking off.

Also ran the MS Dotnet repair tool. Looked like it did something but sill stops program after running that program too.

This is the latest error msg data.

Date:          6/22/2016 9:18:58 AM
Description:
Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61355.0, time stamp: 0x4643ee0a
Faulting module name: uiautomationcore.dll, version: 7.2.10586.212, time stamp: 0x56fa2107
Fault offset: 0x0004d235
Faulting process id: 0x10e0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1cc8859cf4ffb
Faulting application path: F:\FSX\fsx.exe
Report Id: 1609bc38-6dba-4a6a-a799-df2dbe5896c6
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-06-22T13:18:58.671367200Z" />
    <EventRecordID>19607</EventRecordID>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>10.0.61355.0</Data>
    <Data>4643ee0a</Data>
    <Data>56fa2107</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>0004d235</Data>
    <Data>10e0</Data>
    <Data>01d1cc8859cf4ffb</Data>
    <Data>F:\FSX\fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>1609bc38-6dba-4a6a-a799-df2dbe5896c6</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

From the control panel uninstall window, I have only Net framework 1.1 showing. Also have MS Visual C++ 2005 through 2013. Also a MS ASP.Net MVC 4 Runtime.

Supposedly, Win10 is up to date when I went to the update window and did a manual forced update. Would not the Net framework be part of that and or the monthly Tuesday updates?

Almost ready to go back to Win 7 pro except I would have to wipe the entire computer and then put up with MS nagging to update  or now possible buy Win 10. 

I have limited vision and this does not seem like fun at this pres tent time. Thanks for helping out and hope I can find a more simple fix short of going back to Win 7.

Terry

PS: When I reloaded FSX this morning, I was not able to move it to the C drive as planned. When I deleted it the last time, using the uninstall feature only uninstalled the SP2 and not the entire FSX program. Since I could not remove it any further, I removed the folders which appears to have been the wrong move. Think I will try to remove FSX this time via the installation disk program  of fix/remove. Then at least I can put everything on one SSD and maybe I will stop getting the above error?

Update:

Jim,

Thought maybe the problem was gone after doing a complete remove and replace the FSX program. Moved it from the F drive to the C drive. Every thing still is default except changed Wide Screen from False to True and added HighMem.Fix =1. Flew bothe the default C-172 and taxied the 737. When I tried to move the terrain mesh from default to max and then the terrain res from 38M to max then that is were it died and gave me the same old report.below.

Date:          6/22/2016 12:59:55 PM
Description:
Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.60905.0, time stamp: 0x44fd0a92
Fault offset: 0x0004d233
Faulting process id: 0x2724
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1cca521cbeeaf
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Report Id: 707ebc01-1d16-445d-af53-7bab10a21aeb
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-06-22T16:59:55.079900400Z" />
    <EventRecordID>19749</EventRecordID>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>10.0.60905.0</Data>
    <Data>44fd0a92</Data>
    <Data>56fa2107</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>0004d233</Data>
    <Data>2724</Data>
    <Data>01d1cca521cbeeaf</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>707ebc01-1d16-445d-af53-7bab10a21aeb</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Does the ui dll in FSX have to match the one in Win10 and if so where do I find it in win10?

Terry