Sign in to follow this  
lennie

Windows 7 problem

Hi folks

Not sure if this is the right forum, and if not maybe someone can direct me. I recently wiped the HD and started a complete re-install in W7 for FSX. I don't have all of the aircraft yet installed, but have most of the scenery object: ORBX, and several payware airports.

Problem I am experiencing on about every 3rd flight is a complete 'windows dump" where the computer freezes and I have to shut it down. Just tried the same flight twice, and same thing happened when i attempted to adjust alt with Saitek. However it happens also without touching any control, sometimes in a cruise setting, no inputs of any kind, and suddenly i get the windows dump.

Can anyone suggest what is causing this, or a possible solution? have never had this problem before.

Thanks!

Start by checking your Events Viewer for FSX errors and look for faulting modules.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hi folks

Not sure if this is the right forum, and if not maybe someone can direct me. I recently wiped the HD and started a complete re-install in W7 for FSX. I don't have all of the aircraft yet installed, but have most of the scenery object: ORBX, and several payware airports.

Problem I am experiencing on about every 3rd flight is a complete 'windows dump" where the computer freezes and I have to shut it down. Just tried the same flight twice, and same thing happened when i attempted to adjust alt with Saitek. However it happens also without touching any control, sometimes in a cruise setting, no inputs of any kind, and suddenly i get the windows dump.

Can anyone suggest what is causing this, or a possible solution? have never had this problem before.

Thanks!

Anytime you do a complete reinstall of Windows 7 or an upgrade to Windows10, you should check your hardware for driver updates.  Windows updates Windows and some hardware like video cards but not everything.  USB Ports, SysBus, SATA Controllers, are usually update to fix bugs found for the hardware.  I use Driver Booster which is freeware.  It just has a lot of nags to get you to purchase a license.  Still you can find out if you have any outdated drivers and you can have the program download and install them for you. 

I would also check the AVSIM CTD Guide (see link in my signature).  It has the suggestion above about updating your drivers.  There are many other things you can do to search for the reason for your CTD's and freezes.  For instance, another suggestion would be to run the system checker to look for corrupted or missing files in Windows.  Anytime you use a controller like Saitek and you have issues you think are caused by the controller, you should move the USB plug (if any) to another port.  The one you have it plugged into may be defective.

There's also a program you can download called AppCrashView which is discussed in the AVSIM CTD Guide.  It sometimes gives a clue as to the cause of crashes.  Charliearon's suggestion above is excellent too.  The AVSIM CTD Guide shows you exactly how to find the Event Viewer, what to open, and how to search for errors.  It has a lot of images to help you figure it out.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Add this to the fsx.cfg:

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

See if it helps

Don Nelson

It's worth upgrading to Win 10 as I am doing tomorrow.  I was advised it will no longer be free when the end of June gets here?

I've been running Windows 10 for about 8 months and I've been very happy with it.  Sim's are FSX:SE and P3DV3.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thanks Jim!

My son is coming over tonight and we'll try for some solution. He actually wants me to go with P3D but i want to give FSX another try. Actually my original problem was that I took someone's advice and upgraded to W10 - then nothing worked at all. So we wiped the drive and started over with W7.

Will see how it goes tonight.

Lennie

Hi Lennie,

I'm staying with Windows 7.  I have always upgraded to the latest and greatest OS and tech but this time I'm staying with Windows 7.  Although Windows 10 is still free to upgrade, it won't bother me one bit to purchase a new OS in the future if I feel it will be required.  I have Windows 10 on my Laptop so I can learn things about it but IMHO think Windows 7 works best with the simulators.  Just too much security in Windows 10.

I have FSX/Acceleration on my PC and continue to install add-ons and use it regularly.  The bad thing about FSX is the fact it is not being updated and is limited to DirectX10 Preview whereas P3D is being further developed to use the latest technologies, like DX11 and 12, and maybe some years from now the 64 bit OS.   I was thinking Microsoft would get back into flight simulation but they only make a million or two at the most and that's pocket change for them.  Still, it would put a lot of people to work and they don't see that.  Just the bottom line.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

JIm,

Greatly appreciate your advice. I am sticking with W7 Pro. My system seems to be working fine now. Only an occasional quick blink in my left monitor [running 3] and my computer tech recommended changing the connecting cord first to see if that would be the problem. Just haven't been to the store yet.

cheers

Lennie