Sign in to follow this  
joelpacheco

ATC: "Flight the RIIVR2 arrival"

I have a question, when ATC says "Flight the RIIVR2 arrival" is that a clearance to descend via the STAR or just for lateral navigation? I assumed I was cleared to descend but then I got instruction to descend and maintain xxx feet. ATC didn't complained but I wasn't sure what to do.

Joel Pacheco

X-plane 11.5, i7 4790k OC 4.8GHz (1.330V) - Nvidia GTX 1080ti - Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 - Corsair Hydro Series H115i - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 - Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500Gb  - Windows 10 Pro - HP Reverb G2 

Personally when flying online or Real world, I have never had a controller tell me to "Fly XXXXXX arrival". I have been told by controllers to descend via the XXXXXX arrival. I am not too familiar with Pilot2ATC, however my personal take on it is to fly the STAR as published if that is what you are being told.  

Yeah, I even replied "Descending via the RIIVR2 arrival [callsign]". But after getting instructions to descend and maintain I knew something wasn't right.

I went to Pilot2ATC to see what exactly ATC said: "Fly the RIIVR2 arrival with the HEC transition Altimeter is Two Niner Niner Four at LOS ANGELES INTERNATIONAL".

Joel Pacheco

X-plane 11.5, i7 4790k OC 4.8GHz (1.330V) - Nvidia GTX 1080ti - Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 - Corsair Hydro Series H115i - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 - Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500Gb  - Windows 10 Pro - HP Reverb G2 

You will hear, "Descend via the RIIVR2 arrival" or "Comply with restrictions" you will rarely hear "Descend and Maintain" on a Lateral / Vertical RNAV SID / STAR. Even IFR clearances are read, Climb via Sid, expect maintain FLxxx.

Pilot2ATC uses the standard terminology which is:

If told to Descend via xxxx arrival, then you are to fly both the lateral and vertical aspects of the STAR.  This would be the most common clearance and you would not get further altitude clearances during the STAR.

If told to Fly the xxxx arrival, then you are cleared to fly the lateral aspects of the STAR and will be given assigned altitudes by the controller.  In the real world, this might be to provide vertical spacing with other traffic.  They might then clear you to "Continue Descent via the xxxx arrival" at which time you are cleared to follow the vertical restrictions of the STAR as well as the lateral.

Dave

• Upvote 1

Thanks Dave, next time I will pay attention to the specific instruction given and not make assumption.

Joel Pacheco