Sign in to follow this  
HondaJet

Lear 35A Yaw & Bank Trouble above FL300

I just did my first flight in the Lear on a 1.5 hour flight and it rocks.  However, once I got above 30,000' it started with a huge yaw back and forth even though the yaw damper was on.   It would do that to the full ball deflection right and left.  Then once it got violent enough the bank would also start going up to about 30 degrees each direction.  With both going it would almost stall.  I had cruise set at FL370 and once I got back down to about FL300 it stopped and was rock solid again.  It did this over and over until I descended to FL300.   I tried it without the autopilot and it was even worse.  I also tried the secondary yaw damper system but it didn't help either.   Does anybody know how to fix this?

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?  I searched the forums here but found nothing on it.

Nice flying airplane so far other than this awful yaw problem. My pax wanted their money back, hehe.  :smile:

Thanks for your input,
Jerry

Jerry Hayman

Never head about that. Flies perfectly here up to FL450.

Check your weather settings. Do you use any weather addons?

What is your TAT and OAT up there?

My guess is that you don't have correct temperatures at FL300 and higher. Typically, temperature is too high which makes the airplane struggle because of lack of lift and thrust output from the engines.

Or, you're flying in a heavy jetstream or hurricane with turbulence the aircraft cannot cope with.

Dave P. Woycek

I use ASN with current version and live weather.  I will check the temps on the next flight.

I am running P3D v3.2 in case it helps to know.

No hurricane and it was normal turbulence at the time going from North Caroline to Florida.

Jerry

Jerry Hayman

Weird. I use the current ASN version with live weather as well. However, I'm on FSX SP2.

What does the aircraft do without ASN? Have you tried without ASN and P3D clear skies weather (which should roughly equate to ISA conditions)?

Just to rule out ASN as the culprit. I gather that the ASN guys did have some issues with P3D v3.x but I don't know if that has been ironed out in the meantime.

Dave P. Woycek

It is a little more severe with ASN on but I still get the Yaw movement and all I described above with ASN OFF and Clear Skies weather through P3D.  It will take some more testing to figure out if I can make settings changes in ASN to stop this.

The odd thing is with ASN running with the settings I have been using for at least a year I have no problems like this with any other addon aircraft.

Jerry Hayman

A VA buddy and I found the problem.  Here is the fix for anyone that may run into this issue.

I had A2A Accu-feel running and had never had problems with it until now.  There is something about the Lear that Accu-feel has a conflict with.   When I turned it off for the Lear it no longer causes the problem.

I have done a test flight up to FL430 and one VA flight at FL330 and it has been rock solid at all altitudes.

Jerry Hayman

A VA buddy and I found the problem.  Here is the fix for anyone that may run into this issue.

I had A2A Accu-feel running and had never had problems with it until now.  There is something about the Lear that Accu-feel has a conflict with.   When I turned it off for the Lear it no longer causes the problem.

I have done a test flight up to FL430 and one VA flight at FL330 and it has been rock solid at all altitudes.

Thanks interesting. I also use A2A Accu-feel and have not had a yaw problem. I do not use ASN, however, and I can understand how Accu-feel might amplify an exiting yaw problem.

Glad to hear you found a solution that works for you. The Lear35A is a fun a/c to fly.

Al