Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

Is it safe to upgrade to 10.5b?

I have a bunch of add-on airports and airplanes. Some add-ons and plugins are CRM activated and I do not want to ruin my current XP.

Should I wait or is it beneficial to try now?

Thanks.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Hi Jose,

I haven't done it yet either, but may I suggest if you have the hard drive space, copy your X-Plane main folder and create a new folder called X-plane 10.50beta. Paste the copied folder into that. Then open the copied version of X-plane and update that. This way only that copy is the new beta and you can always go back to using your older version if you are not happy with the results. Most importantly, preserving your installation and add ons etc. That's what I do always. Hope this helps!

Best, Jeff

• Upvote 1

I haven't gone to the beta yet. Myself, But from what I read there is a problem with the lights on all planes being on all the time.  I would hold off for now.

There may be a new beta in a day or two (maybe longer) that may be better. I would wait for that and even then, read the posts from the brave souls who jump on the new betas and read what's still broken before updating.

I think by next week it will be a lot safer to jump into the beta's.

Rob

• Upvote 1

Not that I have the ability to test the betas (Steam user), but the advice to simply make a copy of your XP folder and run the update on that copy is by far the best suggestion, especially if you desire a stable, 100% working version to fly in.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Save? Never! Otherwise it wouldn'd be a beta version.

beta2 is not stable and serious bugs (like all lights on) are inside. If you want to actually fly, stay away. This is probably true for some more weeks. Beta is testing, not for using.

• Upvote 1

you can make a copy, and to safe space, make a link to global scenery and customer scenery from 10.45 to 10.50.
No need to have those 2 times. (There are some updates in global scenery, but it should work?)

• Upvote 1

As others have suggested, making a copy of the X-Plane folder first is the best way.
10.50 is still in early beta so bugs are expected and add-ons might break.

• Upvote 1

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

If you want to play it safe, then never even consider jumping on board during betas. Wait at least until the RC (release candidate) phase.

Only if you are willing to accept that everything might blow up (or are at least willing to make a copy as suggested  above) might you consider using it.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the responses. This is why I love this community. :wub:

I no longer have a desire to be a beta tester. I just want to plan a flight and go fly. I'll wait for the RC release and now I have a back-up of my entire XP 10 folder on a separate drive, just in case I need it.

Best regards.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I no longer have a desire to be a beta tester. I just want to plan a flight and go fly. I'll wait for the RC release and now I have a back-up of my entire XP 10 folder on a separate drive, just in case I need it.

That's an extremely wise decision.  I think there's many people who have no desire to beta test, but are so eager to play with any new goodies that they update anyways - becoming quite disappointed when things in the beta don't work.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Abort! Abort! I love the new static aircraft and tall buildings, they truly look fantastic! But there are some "superbugs" that came along also...

Baron_58_3.png

These (awful) lights don't turn off! Other aircraft suffer this problem in a variety of ways in this version.

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

Yes, lights 'always on' is a known bug, it should be fixed in b3.

I'm wondering about the size, though.

Our web site: http://ats-simulations.com/

Our MD-82/83 Project Youtube channel: A.T.S. Aircraft Training Solutions

Video development preview created by Thomas Rasmussen: Aircraft Training Solutions (A.T.S.) MD-82 for X-Plane 10 - Preview

I'm wondering about the size, though.
The size of the beacons is a "known" issue and will be fixed at a future date.

That's an extremely wise decision.  I think there's many people who have no desire to beta test, but are so eager to play with any new goodies that they update anyways - becoming quite disappointed when things in the beta don't work.

That's why the ability to make a copy of the X-Plane folder is so great. No registry entries or messing with Add/Remove Programs like certain other sims.. Just update, play with the new features, and switch back to the latest stable release any time you encounter serious bugs. :smile:

• Upvote 2

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP