Sign in to follow this  
whoispankaj

777 training?

Hi Pankaj, we're working on it as we speak. Even though the filming is complete, we also have bunch of 777 pilots on the team who act as 'consultants' for the production side of things and unfortunately the summer is a busy time for them. So blame the flying schedules of Qatar, United and Emirates!

It'll be worth the wait, I promise :)

• Upvote 2

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Hi Ben,

No worries. I wondered if i had missed the news. With oculus rift, I am just quite excited to learn from the 777 training.

Thanks,

Pankaj

Hi Pankaj, we're working on it as we speak. Even though the filming is complete, we also have bunch of 777 pilots on the team who act as 'consultants' for the production side of things and unfortunately the summer is a busy time for them. So blame the flying schedules of Qatar, United and Emirates!

It'll be worth the wait, I promise :)

Any updates still? Filming is completed? So any prior previews of any sort or sampling? How does this compare to the Angle of Attack Productions PMDG 777 training videos? Specifically the Flightwork (they only had three flights) videos? That other guy Chris was only like a Cessna pilot or something, he was doing a lot of things wrong. Am I correct in understanding that your 777 product is done by a real 777 pilot?

Any updates still? Filming is completed? So any prior previews of any sort or sampling? How does this compare to the Angle of Attack Productions PMDG 777 training videos? Specifically the Flightwork (they only had three flights) videos? That other guy Chris was only like a Cessna pilot or something, he was doing a lot of things wrong. Am I correct in understanding that your 777 product is done by a real 777 pilot?

All the filming was competed in the Spring but we took some time out over the summer due to other commitments and the detailed previews we did of the IXEG 737 and the FSL A320-X.

However we are back on the trail now and will have some previews over the coming weeks. All the videos will be 'flight work' and will also cover systems at the same time. I believe the trainer of the Angle of Attack videos was Nick Collett who at the time was an ATPL holder but hadn't flown the 777.

Our trainer is Capt Myron Ashcraft, who recently retired after a 37 year career with United and 12 years as a 777 Captain.

We're very excited about it, fingers crossed you will like it too!

• Upvote 1

All the filming was competed in the Spring but we took some time out over the summer due to other commitments and the detailed previews we did of the IXEG 737 and the FSL A320-X.

However we are back on the trail now and will have some previews over the coming weeks. All the videos will be 'flight work' and will also cover systems at the same time. I believe the trainer of the Angle of Attack videos was Nick Collett who at the time was an ATPL holder but hadn't flown the 777.

Our trainer is Capt Myron Ashcraft, who recently retired after a 37 year career with United and 12 years as a 777 Captain.

We're very excited about it, fingers crossed you will like it too!

Yes, my mistake it was Nick, not Chris Palmer. When they started with the 737NGX, initially what was offered for the Captain's package was direct download of the videos from ftp or http (not via Vimeo) and I think it was hosted on Amazon S3/AWS at the time. Those videos were 1080p in HD. Then for business reasons, they (AOA Media) decided to stop giving option to download the videos and made people pay a subscription for the privilege to download them, one month at a time. Add insult to injury, he purposefully capped them to 720p, and only way to watch 1080p was to stream it online, even with the download package addon. The justification given at the time was that AOA might have a business plan to come out with blu-ray versions (disk) in the future for sale, and they didn't want to cannibalize their own sales, but many years later, that hasn't happened and never materialized. There is no disk/boxed version available. In fact they haven't even added a single video not even to their 777 training, and after PMDG came out with the sp1b update with broken backwards compatibility with the followfiles that the AOA 777 training included, they didn't even bother to fix it by reconverting or reuploading working flight saves. There is no Line Works for the AoA 777, and flight works only has three videos. Unlike their 747 videos, there are no tips on how to actually fly the aircraft (funny that Nick's 777 videos were all made/filmed pre- PMDG 777 sp1b update, and he never mentioned anything wrong with the FBW/trim; guess since he wasn't a real 777 pilot he couldn't have known better one way or the another) and absolutely no abnormal procedures were shown or taught at all. I remember back in the day they were advertising on Avsim left and right, now they haven't even updated a single video for years. Natural progression of things I guess.

Here's to hoping Airline2Sim doesn't go the same route.  

I remember the debate over the streaming/downloading of AoA videos rather well as it was much discussed here at the time. I'm sure Chris had his reasons for doing it the way they did but in his defence going back a few years there were fewer options to host and stream large video files than there are now. We are planning to release future courses in 4K resolution and have them as download or stream, something that would have been unthinkable even a couple of years back.

AoA were pretty fast out of the trap with their 777 course, which of course made sense at the time. The passage of a couple of years has given us a chance to see what they left out and where the gaps could be filled in terms of knowledge, so things like RNAV, ETOPS, some non normals etc will all be covered. I hope you enjoy it!

• Upvote 1

It is Dec already. possible to preorder this?

My wife says yes! But joking aside - no, it's still incomplete and if we run into a disaster it won't be finished in time for our Dec 30th date. I'm not taking money off people until it's literally on the plate ready to serve. However, we are on track so far and it's shaping up to be our biggest and best yet and I am quietly confident we should be good with the first 23 (yes, 23 videos, many an hour EACH) showing off some of the goodies of the 777 sneaking into the release date. We're now at the point where we need to decide what to leave OUT. The long haul ETOPS stuff is pretty involved and I want to do it properly - it might be that we release those as a 3 or 4 video pack add-on included with the Cadet Program late in Jan or Feb rather than pay it lip service within the existing videos. But, it's coming, I hope you like it. 

Desperately waiting for 30th December to get 777 cadet training. One question, any plans to do 737NGX cadet programme?

Ash

Ash Nerurkar

Desperately waiting for 30th December to get 777 cadet training. One question, any plans to do 737NGX cadet programme?

Ash

Not long now Ash! Yes, we will do something for the 737 but we've not figured out quite what the plan is yet. We will wait until PMDG release V3 of the NGX before we do it, the question for us is how to amalgamate some training for folks using the excellent IXEG 737-300 in XP, especially as XP is making a big splash right now. But Jonny who appears in our 'first look' for the IXEG also flies the NG, so we're looking forward to taking the 737 to some fun places like Corfu, Chambery, Funchal and Dubrovnik!