Sign in to follow this  
FlavioSSA

Estonia migration tool still works?

Is EMT (ver. 3.2.0.1011) still valid with P3D v3.3.5?

I´m asking here because their forum is down some time now and they don´t answer support tickets anymore. I´m trying to know this before installing EMT. Any hint would be great.

Thanks.

Flavio Cardoso - P3Dv4.5 HF3

Win 10 Pro 64Bits - i74960X 4.5ghz - ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed. - Corsair H150i Platinum - 32gb  Ripjaws Z - ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER SC - MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics

I've used it with 3.3, but not had to use it with 3.35 as of yet. I don't see any harm in you're trying it though, shouldn't hurt anything.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I was a little afraid to use it in the new P3D version. But i think ill giive a try. Thanks Dave!

Win 10 Pro 64Bits - i74960X 4.5ghz - ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed. - Corsair H150i Platinum - 32gb  Ripjaws Z - ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER SC - MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics

I'd advise AGAINST using the tool. Rather install applications with a dedicated P3D installer, your guarantee of compatibility. Maybe P3D v1 & v2 wouldn't give issues,  but P3D v3 is becoming far removed from FSX in terms of installation paths and installing non-compatible applications will only lead to distress and frustration! I think the tool has had it's time..

• Upvote 1

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Certainly using installers built specifically for P3DV3 is the best way to go, however developers have been slow to add this capability to software which would otherwise work in P3D.  Where developers have upgraded software and are charging addition fees for those upgrades, using the tool to at least test older software in P3D is a cost consideration.

I'm sure there will come a day where we don't need the Migration Tool, and of course it's always better to use a P3DV3 installer, but sometimes there is a need to install software which does not have a P3DV3 installer and that is what the tool was created for. 

Best wishes to all.

• Upvote 4

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Certainly using installers built specifically for P3DV3 is the best way to go, however developers have been slow to add this capability to software which would otherwise work in P3D.  Where developers have upgraded software and are charging addition fees for those upgrades, using the tool to at least test older software in P3D is a cost consideration.

I'm sure there will come a day where we don't need the Migration Tool, and of course it's always better to use a P3DV3 installer, but sometimes there is a need to install software which does not have a P3DV3 installer and that is what the tool was created for. 

Best wishes to all.

Yes, I fully understand your point...It's just that I'm very protective over my beloved P3D... :smile: . And I just believe that P3D v3 has moved on..and unfortunately some software will fall behind the times...The point is, I would never know whether such software would work in P3D unless i tried (with the migration tool) and personally, I wouldn't like take that chance now...I still have the migration tool and used it with P3D v1...., but then P3D was basically "FSX reworded" at that time...

Regards..

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

I've used it with UT2 and a few older FSX aircraft that don't have P3D 3.35 Installers yet without any issues. But Instant Scenery 3 doesn't seem to be compatible with 3.3 right now even with MT.

-- tazz

I'm amazed at the negative attitude to the migration tool that I often read here and elsewhere. Given that we've spent the whole of the past decade using oddball tweaks in an often fruitless effort to get our sim running smoothly when fully loaded with addons, why not use this excellent utility to wedge old add ons into P3D and actually get some decent use and performance out of them, rather than mothballing them and simply reflecting on the usually unsuccessful 10 year fight we all endured with FSX.

One major addon supplier I could mention is SO far behind with P3D updates that I wonder if they'll ever catch up, that's if they are even trying to. In those circumstances the migration tool is indispensable.

• Upvote 2

It's not the negative attitude towards the tool itself. It's just that IF something does go wrong, it can be disastrous. I've had to repair several systems where the ultimate cause was a problem with the EMT. Whether is was user error or program error the fact remains that the possibility still exists of trashing your system IF something goes wrong.

If you are comfortable with that, and many people are, then go for it. Just be aware of the possibilities.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

It's not the negative attitude towards the tool itself. It's just that IF something does go wrong, it can be disastrous. I've had to repair several systems where the ultimate cause was a problem with the EMT. Whether is was user error or program error the fact remains that the possibility still exists of trashing your system IF something goes wrong.

If you are comfortable with that, and many people are, then go for it. Just be aware of the possibilities.

Vic

Exactly....it was a great tool..used it a lot in earlier versions of P3D..not being negative..just being cautious now with P3D v3 with it's new file structure and only making use of dedicated installers..The originator of the topic is specifically referring the P3D v3.

Peter Webber

Yes, i need to use it to install A LOT of addons (Mainly scenerys) that don´t have p3d installers and work perfectly in p3d v3.2. Of course, all the addons that has a dedicated p3d installers, i will use them. I installed a fresh v.3.3 version and asked if someone had a previous experience with it. After all that´s the main purpose of the forums. But i like the tool and i think i´ll continue to use it for a long time, at least until it works. My only situation with this tool right now is the lack of support from the developers that seems to had vanished from earth.

Edit:

Wow, the timing was amazing! Just after replying this tread i finally recieved a reply from the developers:

Hello,

Yes, Migration Tool v 3.2.0.1011 supports Prepar3D v3.3.5. Last spring we implemented changes in program code that do not require the program to be updated after each update to Prepar3D.

Support forum will be back by the end of this week.

Best regards,

Paavo Pihelgas

So, it´s ok to use it still! Thanks for all the messages!

I use the migration tool to install several dozen of my favorite FSX planes and sceneries into P3D v3.35 without a single hitch. 

"Knock on wood"!

Perhaps there are some scenarios that it will not work upon, but if so, I have not tried installing such yet.   

That has been my experience so far.

Kind regards,

I had a serious issue caused by the tool which required a full reinstall of P3D some time back, having said that I have used it successfully on a few occasions on v3.3.5 without any problems, mind you I always uninstall it after each use. Still touching wood.......

EMT doesn't always work, though.  I used it yesterday to install Tongass Fjords (and still had to relocate the terrain.cfg to the correct folder), and several older aircraft without current installers.  It worked on some (Classics Hangar Taifun, Aerosoft Mitchell Wing), but not on others that really should work (Aerosoft Wilga and Huey for instance).  

I'm able to install most aircraft without current v3 installers without using EMT, just pointing them in the right direction.  I prefer this method where it works (as it does for all RealAir and Sibwings aircraft).  

Scare posts about the tool messing up one's "system" and being outdated seem more partisan that informative.  I suppose you could mess up your sim install, but I find it hard to imagine how using the tool would harm your "system," if that means your OS and other software.  

A backup at the appropriate time solves most issues I have found.  Regards.

M.

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy