Sign in to follow this  
avgaskoolaid

Constant crashes with P3D v3.3.5 "faulting module name: unknown"

I just bought v3 to upgrade from v2.5, and I'm getting more instability than I ever had in 2.5. I'm running the same hardware as before and same addons in P3D, so I doubt it's an issue with my computer. Here are the event logs from the crash, one for P3D and the other for .NET runtime, as these happened simultaneously so I'm thinking they're connected (I have .NET framework 4.6.1 installed). Can anyone help me? Crashes occur completely randomly. Sometimes they happen on startup, sometimes when I'm using the menu setting up a flight, sometimes during loading, sometimes a minute after I start flying and sometimes 15 minutes after. I tried reinstalling the FSDT addon manager as recommended by the CTD guide, but beyond that I'm not sure what I should do. 

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Error

Date:          6/22/2016 8:58:56 AM

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      Owner-PC

Description:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 3.3.5.17625, time stamp: 0x5758bb31

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0xffb201b7

Faulting process id: 0x16ac

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1cc858e2b26df

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 1394eece-3879-11e6-990a-6c626d46f7e2

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-06-22T12:58:56.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>31122</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>Owner-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>Prepar3D.exe</Data>

<Data>3.3.5.17625</Data>

<Data>5758bb31</Data>

<Data>unknown</Data>

<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>

<Data>00000000</Data>

<Data>c0000005</Data>

<Data>ffb201b7</Data>

<Data>16ac</Data>

<Data>01d1cc858e2b26df</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D.exe</Data>

<Data>unknown</Data>

<Data>1394eece-3879-11e6-990a-6c626d46f7e2</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Log Name:      Application

Source:        .NET Runtime

Date:          6/22/2016 8:58:54 AM

Event ID:      1026

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      Owner-PC

Description:

Application: Prepar3D.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address FFB201B7

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-06-22T12:58:54.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>31121</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>Owner-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>Application: Prepar3D.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address FFB201B7

</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

I just bought v3 to upgrade from v2.5, and I'm getting more instability than I ever had in 2.5. I'm running the same hardware as before and same addons in P3D, so I doubt it's an issue with my computer. Here are the event logs from the crash, one for P3D and the other for .NET runtime, as these happened simultaneously so I'm thinking they're connected (I have .NET framework 4.6.1 installed). Can anyone help me? Crashes occur completely randomly. Sometimes they happen on startup, sometimes when I'm using the menu setting up a flight, sometimes during loading, sometimes a minute after I start flying and sometimes 15 minutes after. I can't seem to think of anything that could be causing this. 

I just bought v3 to upgrade from v2.5, and I'm getting more instability than I ever had in 2.5. I'm running the same hardware as before and same addons in P3D, so I doubt it's an issue with my computer. Here are the event logs from the crash, one for P3D and the other for .NET runtime, as these happened simultaneously so I'm thinking they're connected (I have .NET framework 4.6.1 installed). Can anyone help me? Crashes occur completely randomly. Sometimes they happen on startup, sometimes when I'm using the menu setting up a flight, sometimes during loading, sometimes a minute after I start flying and sometimes 15 minutes after. I can't seem to think of anything that could be causing this.

So, you have a Microsoft.net 4.0 problem (not v4.6).  I would run the run the setup dotnet verifier - https://blogs.msdn.m...ol-users-guide/ to make sure your dotnets are properly installed.

There's also a dotnet repair tool your can try too - https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=30135.  This info is all in the AVSIM CTD Guide.

I do not know what you have installed but I have a feeling you have some products installed that are not compatible.  You had to use the EMT tool to get them installed.  Those products are really, really old and they don't like the recent dotnets.

I can guarantee you that installing P3D v3.3.5 will not cause these problems if installed alone with no addons. When you start installing addons that are incompatible (but compatible via an EMT Tool), then you are asking for issues.  If you have any addons installed, remove them.  Most are not compatible with P3D v3.3.5.  Even FSDT/FlightBeam, the fsuipc, etc., etc. are not compatible with this version.  You have to go to the software sites and get an updated version or a hotfix.  Going from v2.5 to v3.3.5 is the same as upgrading from FS2004 to FSX.  There are so many code changes.  Many leave the old version on their system or, like me, I leave FSX on my system so I can use the really old stuff.

In the CTD Guide here at AVSIM, we have ways to fix problems like yours.  That's in the first few pages.  You move the P3D.cfg, the dll.xml, the exe.xml, and the scenery.cfg to a temporary folder.  You rerun P3D and the P3D.cfg and the scenery.cfg are rebuilt.  If there are no crashes, then you can try moving the dll.xml and exe.xml over.  If no crashes, the move the old scenery.cfg back.  You do this until the crash returns.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you very much for your suggestions Jim, but I think I've found the problem. Instead of reinstalling couatl/addon manager, I removed them completely, and after a few days of testing I haven't had another crash. I'll try reinstalling it so I can use my FSDT airports and cross my fingers that all runs smoothly. Oh, and also:

I do not know what you have installed but I have a feeling you have some products installed that are not compatible.  You had to use the EMT tool to get them installed.  Those products are really, really old and they don't like the recent dotnets.

Don't worry, EMT has never and will never touch my 3.3 installation. I really wish I could get a refund for that awful payware virus! What a terrible little tool. 

Don't worry, EMT has never and will never touch my 3.3 installation. I really wish I could get a refund for that awful payware virus! What a terrible little tool.

I agree but I had to make my comments as I was not sure whether you had used it or not. Good luck with the reinstall of the FSDT stuff. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10