Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Advice on upgrade from SB2500k

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice based on their personal experience with an upgrade. Has anyone gone from a SB2500k OC to 4.6Ghz to an I7 4790 @ 4Ghz. I'm looking at making an upgrade within a few months and don't want to spend a load of dosh on an upgrade which won't show me anything. So actual experience of this upgrade would be preferable, rather than supposition.Cheers.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Google NickN FSX Bible

Their is a hardware guide in their

Edit

I am running a 4770 OC 4.7 with a GTX 980 16 GB of mem on a SSD

I am not sure what you are looking fore ,,, I can tell you that the HW has more to offer such as more cycles per clock then the SB  NickN FSX Bible explains a lot of info on a new build

as for FPS their is no real way to answer that ,, will you see a improvement ,, YES  ,, how much all depends on other hardware and Addons  and slider postion

I can tell you I push my system to hard sometimes with UTX GEX Free Mesh X and other Airport and scenery addons and the sliders all the way to the right and real weather I get around 12-20 FPS at KJFK and NYC area,  I do get some Ground Blurry(ie seeing the textures fill in) and stutter/pause some but that is do to UTX

I hope  this helps you some

Hi Howard,

There is a shortage of hard data for usage in FSX based (FSX-SE, P3D) and X-Plane flight simulation for fast Sandy Bridge vs. the latest crop of CPUs. Any data I have seen has shown fantastic performance for Sandy Bridge chips that partner with high end graphic cards.

Here is a look at some of the non-fs numbers. As you can see, the latest GPU technology has demonstrated how good the overclocked Sandy Bridges really are:.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/490317-3dmark11-comparitive-samples-and-analysis/

Will there be a compelling reason to change Sandy Bridge to the latest? Yes, but not for the products currently available imho. When the flight simulation platforms make much more use of multicore platforms, and/or new superchips make a real jump that positively change flight simulation at the core, then it will be time.

But for me at least, that is certainly not yet. However, I can see a 1080 GTX finding a home plugged into this Sandy Bridge beast.

Everything is relative!

Good to see you again Howard.

You look just the same!

Kind regards,

Google NickN FSX Bible

Their is a hardware guide in their

Edit

I am running a 4770 OC 4.7 with a GTX 980 16 GB of mem on a SSD

I am not sure what you are looking fore ,,, I can tell you that the HW has more to offer such as more cycles per clock then the SB  NickN FSX Bible explains a lot of info on a new build

as for FPS their is no real way to answer that ,, will you see a improvement ,, YES  ,, how much all depends on other hardware and Addons  and slider postion

I can tell you I push my system to hard sometimes with UTX GEX Free Mesh X and other Airport and scenery addons and the sliders all the way to the right and real weather I get around 12-20 FPS at KJFK and NYC area,  I do get some Ground Blurry(ie seeing the textures fill in) and stutter/pause some but that is do to UTX

I hope  this helps you some

Thanks, I am aware of Nick's uning guide, but was hoping someone may have a similar upgrade to what I am considering.

Hi Howard,

There is a shortage of hard data for usage in FSX based (FSX-SE, P3D) and X-Plane flight simulation for fast Sandy Bridge vs. the latest crop of CPUs. Any data I have seen has shown fantastic performance for Sandy Bridge chips that partner with high end graphic cards.

Here is a look at some of the non-fs numbers. As you can see, the latest GPU technology has demonstrated how good the overclocked Sandy Bridges really are:.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/490317-3dmark11-comparitive-samples-and-analysis/

Will there be a compelling reason to change Sandy Bridge to the latest? Yes, but not for the products currently available imho. When the flight simulation platforms make much more use of multicore platforms, and/or new superchips make a real jump that positively change flight simulation at the core, then it will be time.

But for me at least, that is certainly not yet. However, I can see a 1080 GTX finding a home plugged into this Sandy Bridge beast.

Everything is relative!

Good to see you again Howard.

You look just the same!

Kind regards,

Hi Stephen, thanks for the kind words, good to see you around still. I've been a little absent for the past year due to new business commitments. I'm still simming though. Good advice from you as always. When I have a minute I will try your suggestion. I want to avoid making a costly decision based purely on a perceived notion that a new chip will improve my simming performance. My rig is pretty fast by most standards OC to 4.4Ghz, 16Gb RAM, 2 x SSDs and a GTX 770. I just pander for a little more headroom with some of the larger payware airports. Cheers.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776