Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Any solutions for poor performance around large cities?

I know this is an issue that many of us have...Seattle, Toronto, San Francisco.  Trouble is, large cities is, often, where the nicer airports are, right?  (Most of the worst ones are around large bodies of water and I wonder how much that has to do with it.)  I'm guessing I'm reaching here but I think it's worth at least talking about.  I typically do very basic things.

• turn sliders down some.
  • turn some traffic down.
  • turn off Vector.
  • I always run 512K clouds.

I wonder what else, if anything, people do to make performance/VAS better. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Are you using ORBX regions around those airports?

Yes.  Norcal is tough(!) around KSFO...but the default land is horrible.  I think what we're looking for is to find a way to fly into an area where it looks reasonably like the city and be able to make it in without stuttering along all the way to an OOM.  In one sense, it's not too much to ask, is it?  In another sense, it's not.  Trying to find the balance is the tougher part...turn this down...turn that off...all done manually.  I often think that LM could help by automatically cutting back some things as framerates/VAS drops...load radius isn't so significant on the airport or a mile out on final...stuff behind you isn't needed as much on final...car traffic two miles away is harder to even see. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

It's much better to arrive into the Addon KSFO, Addon KSEA or similar with the region off and just utilizing FTX Global. It does make a difference in performance.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

I know this is an issue that many of us have...Seattle, Toronto, San Francisco. Trouble is, large cities is, often, where the nicer airports are, right? (Most of the worst ones are around large bodies of water and I wonder how much that has to do with it.) I'm guessing I'm reaching here but I think it's worth at least talking about. I typically do very basic things.

• turn sliders down some.
  • turn some traffic down.
  • turn off Vector.
  • I always run 512K clouds.
I wonder what else, if anything, people do to make performance/VAS better.

Prepar3D RFP - "Adaptive Smoothing"

I think one of the best boons for high CPU/GPU scenery/traffic/aircraft areas would be some sort of adaptive algorithm that automatically turns down key settings and sliders like;

Traffic

Frame rate

MAximum ANYTHING;

Here after to be termed "Adaptive Smoothing", AS would automatically kick in predicated upon YOUR CURRENT SLIDER SETTINGS/FpS/AND...

...Some as yet magically derived scale, universally used, and agreed upon metric, say, on a scale of 1-255...formed by consensus, a New Property... Called "Smoothness", One of whose functions, would be called "Adaptive Smoothing"

It would, upon sensing sustained CPU/GPU clipping, automagically, gradually RESET TO YOUR ACCEPTABLE MINIMUM VALUES in order to sustain not necessarily a high frame rate but high smoothness .

The transition should take place over long enough time as not to be jarring...

When leaving the graphically demanding area/Situation, the reverse procedure should ensue.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

If you're flying default big cities with harbor areas you'll need to get rid of the cranes... those are really bad for some reason.  I guess inefficient modelling.

Orbx makes it easy to do I think there are instructions for NCA and you can do it automatically with the config in SCA.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If you're flying default big cities with harbor areas you'll need to get rid of the cranes... those are really bad for some reason. I guess inefficient modelling.

Orbx makes it easy to do I think there are instructions for NCA and you can do it automatically with the config in SCA.

Nice tip.

EDIT:  Wasn't able to find anything on how to remove them though.

Gregg Seipp