Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Slewing in XP

I'm one of those that never gets time to fly an entire route (other than very short), and am wondering how what the best way might be to take off and climb to cruise, then slew the a/c to a point prior to TOD at an arrival airport that may be a long way away.

I tried this last weekend by going to the map and dragging the plane, however I eventually reached the edge of the scenery tile that was loaded and couldn't drag the a/c any further. So I assumed there must be a better way?

Thanks for any ideas. I know that not flying the entire route is frowned upon by many, so apologies in advance for that.

Thanks, Bruce

Bruce,

You can always use Ctl-T to advance time, time will advance based on how high or low your rendering settings are.

• Upvote 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Hm, I think that's not possible.

You could select an airport near your TOD and start your flight there 10nm away in the air (then dragging to get to the actual TOD). But that would be an entirely new flight.

Bruce,

You can always use Ctl-T to advance time, time will advance based on how high or low your rendering settings are.

I agree this is probably the best way.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

One noteworthy mention is that the Aerobask Victory (perhaps the new Epic does it too) has a feature where you can 'slew' to the next waypoint in your flightplan. I can't speak to how well it works because I haven't tried it, but it did catch my attention.

Not sure how they do it, or if it translates into something that can be replicated outside of that particular aircraft.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Thanks for the ideas. The Victory feature sounds interesting. I might try the Ctl-T function first and see how that works.

There's a slew plugin which I use, cant paste the link but it's in the .org library. Just do a google search. :)

I tried this last weekend by going to the map and dragging the plane, however I eventually reached the edge of the scenery tile that was loaded and couldn't drag the a/c any further. So I assumed there must be a better way?

You can actually drag the plane on the local map outside of the loaded scenery, but in this case you won't have the map as reference to see where you're placing the plane. Maybe you can try this: in the local map, drag the aircraft towards your destination until it is outside of the loaded scenery, then exit from the map, wait until the new scenery is loaded, and repeat (local map, drag the aircraft toward destination, etc.).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

XPUIPC also has a slew mode, which allows you to move the aircraft with the joystick in a top-down view. It used to be activated by pushing "y" on the keyboard in older versions, but that used to be a problem when entering something in the sim which contained a "y".

So the author instead made it an offset (0x5DC) which needs to be assigned to a button or key in order to get active. Just don't ask me how to do it, as I don't have a clue. :smile:

I believe Plan-G has an option "slew aircraft to here" when you right-click on the map, though I don't recall using it myself.  Anyway, Plan-G is highly recommended as it provides much better mapping features than X-plane's internal map view.

Thanks for the replies. I have never used Plan-G, I must go look at it. Also found the slewing tool but have yet to try it. Great community here!

My bad, just checked and Plan-G does not have slew for X-plane, only FSX.  Still recommend it though!

I'm one of those that never gets time to fly an entire route (other than very short), and am wondering how what the best way might be to take off and climb to cruise, then slew the a/c to a point prior to TOD at an arrival airport that may be a long way away.

Thanks for any ideas. I know that not flying the entire route is frowned upon by many, so apologies in advance for that.

Thanks, Bruce

Hi Bruce,

A developer called Vita Zenisek has produced a plugin for X-Plane that allows you to slew your aircraft:

http://goo.gl/O0xiYY

It was originally developed for the Czech Virtual Air Rescue service to assist in mission building, maybe you'll find it useful.

Cheers,

Jerome

No worries on the Plan-G, and the plug-in by Vita looks promising-- thanks.

The only issue I have with the slew plugin is that when you exit it the plane becomes uncontrollable for a few seconds. Maybe something is wrong the way I use it if nobody else reports that.

Hans

I usually press the downward button to make sure the plane is sitting on the ground after slewing, otherwise, if there's elevation changes slewing from A to B you can bounce a bit because the plane is off the ground, even if only by a few feet.