Sign in to follow this  

I just received a Lenovo Y900. It is the best I have ever owned. The question is this, it has one drive of 256 G and a 2 TB drive. Which drive should I put FSX? I just haven't used a computer with two drives before. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,RLJR

Put it on the 2 TB drive

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

with all  your  other  fsx  addons ,  the other  drive  for  you  o/s and  other  programs

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

It's probably a 256GB SSD and a HD or Hybrid disk of 2TB. FS will run a lot smoother from the SSD. If you can spare the space there for all possible addons you might add, I'd put it there. Rather put movies or pictures to the HD.

The old advice about putting FSX on a separate drive from the OS and other programs was only really relevant when just using hard drives (because of fragmentation). Although FSX in flight will not be any quicker from an SSD, it will certainly load much quicker than it would from a hard drive. I have Windows and FSX on my 256Gb SSD and my whole system seems much more snappy as a result. I have most of my other programs that don't need to load lots of data (word processors, and so on) on a hard drive along with some FSX aircraft which I don't use very often (using a folder junction to connect them to the main FSX folder on my SSD).

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

If one of the drives is an SSD, then that's the one to install FSX on.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Just a  slight correction. The drives are 2TB+8GB SSHD with 256GB SSD.

Just a  slight correction. The drives are 2TB+8GB SSHD with 256GB SSD.

I would still put the OS and FSX on the SSD.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I want to thank everyone for the feed back. I will put FSX on the SSD drive. After I get all of my add ons installed and running I will get back with a report.

Thanks again,

RLJR