Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

HTC Vive + P3D + Flyinside = Mind Blown!

Wow... I was really rootin for you untill you derailed there on the last paranoia piece.... Somebody call the looney bin...

And what supercomputer will you push these 11k with...?

When I tried 3 28" Acer XB280K 4K G-Sync Monitors with my 2 980ti's and skylake 6700K it held its own. A pair ofr GTX 1070's would handle 11K no problem. 

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

Curious if any of you VR folk may have ran into micro stuttering when looking out the left side of the plane.. staring at the ground, it micro stutters every 2 seconds.. i swear it wasnt doing this a week ago..  (i'm with rift however)

I used a clean version of 3.4.9 and the roaming and programdata folders.. reinstalled flyinside.. 

Same issue.. still there.. super frustrated.Only thing i havent tried was going back a driver version for nvidia.. though with aerofly fs2, i see no stuttering.. seems to be strictly a flyinside thing.. i also tested native p3d vr.. i'm not really seeing it, or not as much anyway.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

i also tested native p3d vr.. i'm not really seeing it, or not as much anyway

I was wondering about the native P3d support for VR. If you are not seeing it as much why stay with flyinside? Is there a difference? I am waiting for my rift now. Should have it this week. I was going to go with the native p3d VR.

Thanks,

realkewl

see if you are touching max usable vram, if so try lowering settings (resolution, AA, texture size, etc) to have more headroom

I was wondering about the native P3d support for VR. If you are not seeing it as much why stay with flyinside? Is there a difference? I am waiting for my rift now. Should have it this week. I was going to go with the native p3d VR.

Thanks,

realkewl

Native P3D VR support is extremely limited while Flyinside VR for P3D has a lot of really useful features. Virtual windows inside the cockpit for one. In Flyinside, you can manipulate the cockpit very well with the mouse. In native you can't. List goes on and on.

Curious if any of you VR folk may have ran into micro stuttering when looking out the left side of the plane.. staring at the ground, it micro stutters every 2 seconds.. i swear it wasnt doing this a week ago..  (i'm with rift however)

I used a clean version of 3.4.9 and the roaming and programdata folders.. reinstalled flyinside.. 

Same issue.. still there.. super frustrated.Only thing i havent tried was going back a driver version for nvidia.. though with aerofly fs2, i see no stuttering.. seems to be strictly a flyinside thing.. i also tested native p3d vr.. i'm not really seeing it, or not as much anyway.

Try deleting your config file, and make sure to also delete the config file that FlyInside has created. After that reset your FlyInside settings its in FlyInside options in the windows start menu. That cleared up any stuttering I was getting.

VR has been a game changer for me. The immersion I experience is incredible and well worth the downgrade in resolution. I tried going back to 2d screens and simply couldn't. I am sticking with VR for the duration. 

Native P3D VR support is extremely limited while Flyinside VR for P3D has a lot of really useful features. Virtual windows inside the cockpit for one. In Flyinside, you can manipulate the cockpit very well with the mouse. In native you can't. List goes on and on.

Ok, well that makes a lot of sense. I would need the mouse using VR. So did you ever get your shutters fixed? I was wondering if it had something to do with the native VR support from P3D, since they say it turns on once it detects your VR headset. Anyway to keep it from turning on?

-realkewl

Ok, well that makes a lot of sense. I would need the mouse using VR. So did you ever get your shutters fixed? I was wondering if it had something to do with the native VR support from P3D, since they say it turns on once it detects your VR headset. Anyway to keep it from turning on?

Native VR hasn't interfered with Flyinside 1.62. I did have some small panning stutters as I shifted gaze across the virtual cockpit with Flyinside. Fixed it now. It wasn't Flyinside's fault. It was a problem with how I set the affinity mask for my hardware. Mouse manipulation works well. If I really need to zoom in I use MCE (Multi Crew Experience) and say the word "magnify" and the view zooms in (I set up some custom Voxkey commands for VR). If you are thinking VR, think seriously about investing in voice recognition. Rift has a mic built in.

Have tried Native P3D VR. There is nothing to gain from using it but it does give you a useful first glimpse into VR without having to pay for Flyinside. Honestly though, Flyinside is a revolutionary product. It offers a virtual desktop for free built in, and the virtual windows inside the cockpit are amazing once you get used to using them. I fly with adobe acrobat open for viewing PDF's have Google Chrome in another window and Google Earth for maps. It works well and doesn't cause a frame rate hit for GA flying, but I am on a 1080 and i7-6700k overclocked to 4.7. The really tricky bit is learning how to manipulate the windows inside the virtual cockpit without blocking your view outside. I think I've heard rumours that there is a VAS footprint with the virtual windows. It doesn't affect me but keep it in mind.

I just realised this is a HTC thread. I'm on Rift. If you are going to go ahead with VR and want to use ORBX scenery, get a GPU that is fast enough to run 4xsupersampling inside the Flyinside options.

Native VR hasn't interfered with Flyinside 1.62. I did have some small panning stutters as I shifted gaze across the virtual cockpit with Flyinside. Fixed it now. It wasn't Flyinside's fault. It was a problem with how I set the affinity mask for my hardware. Mouse manipulation works well. If I really need to zoom in I use MCE (Multi Crew Experience) and say the word "magnify" and the view zooms in (I set up some custom Voxkey commands for VR). If you are thinking VR, think seriously about investing in voice recognition. Rift has a mic built in.

Have tried Native P3D VR. There is nothing to gain from using it but it does give you a useful first glimpse into VR without having to pay for Flyinside. Honestly though, Flyinside is a revolutionary product. It offers a virtual desktop for free built in, and the virtual windows inside the cockpit are amazing once you get used to using them. I fly with adobe acrobat open for viewing PDF's have Google Chrome in another window and Google Earth for maps. It works well and doesn't cause a frame rate hit for GA flying, but I am on a 1080 and i7-6700k overclocked to 4.7. The really tricky bit is learning how to manipulate the windows inside the virtual cockpit without blocking your view outside. I think I've heard rumours that there is a VAS footprint with the virtual windows. It doesn't affect me but keep it in mind.

I just realised this is a HTC thread. I'm on Rift. If you are going to go ahead with VR and want to use ORBX scenery, get a GPU that is fast enough to run 4xsupersampling inside the Flyinside options.

Thanks and you are way ahead of me...I just got my Rift, but I'm waiting on another piece, because I'm trying to run it on my laptop with a 980M graphics card. But since the boards HDMI slot is a by-pass it keeps flashing the screen, so did some search and another person got it to work by using the mini DisplayPort to HDMI. I hope it works!! 

Thanks,

realkewl

Have tried Native P3D VR. There is nothing to gain from using it but it does give you a useful first glimpse into VR without having to pay for Flyinside. Honestly though, Flyinside is a revolutionary product. It offers a virtual desktop for free built in, and the virtual windows inside the cockpit are amazing once you get used to using them

I just made my very first landing using Oculus Rift and Flyinside. Wow!

First, the not so good:

- I put my contacts in to see if it would help with getting the headset on. It did, but then I noticed I had to wear the headset far down my nose in order for things to be focused.

- Flyinside you get 15 trial. So, first getting the headset center and getting you seat adjusted just right, took several 15 minutes trials. 

- I flew the lancair legacy, with flight1 GTN 750 at night from Latin VFR RDU. The mouse movement inside the plane takes some getting use to, because when you have the mouse active, your head movements move the mouse (took me a minute to figure that out)

- The pop up for the GTN 750 is not really that good. It pops up and then it's really close, and curved. So, I just left it for now, maybe you can help me. But once you're close enough and you lend forward you can make out some of the items. 

Now, the good:

- taxiing was great, i can look for traffic left and right...man that felt good.

- taking off you can really feel the speed.

- I was finally able to fly a traffic pattern, I was a little high, because i little hard to read the gauges, but felt really really good. You can tell when you are a beam the numbers. (again, this was at night)

- The landing was great, felt just like a real landing, meaning if you look at the ground it get that funny feeling, speed sensation. However, since this was my first time really landing the lancair in 3D, I need to now adjust for the height perspective. I cannot recall the term, but it was the samething when I was transitions to the Cirrus SR20, I tended to land flat, because the plane seat higher then I was use to. Man, that felt good.

Questions:

- Do you have to adjust your seat before ever flight?

I guess I should read the manuals now :-)

Thanks,

-realkewl

I just made my very first landing using Oculus Rift and Flyinside. Wow!

And that is on a laptop now that does deserve a wow. Would not have thought a laptop would be capable. Must be amazing to take a laptop and a rift whereever you want to go in the world and fly a pattern. Take a cold shower though. You are going to be limited in what is achievable on only a 980m GPU. EDIT: (Forget ORBX scenery for one, except FTX global texture replacement which should be fine).

When I start a flying session, I click the option to startup flyinside to center my position where-ever I am sitting at the time. Now I am at the scenario screen and know that when I enter the plane I will be roughly in the cockpit seat. Then I load the scenario and immediately switch to avatar virtual cockpit and take a first person walk around the plane and may be even a stroll of the local field. Then I walk up to the plane, physically stand up off my chair and with the rift on, walk to about the distance I would expect to open the cockpit door of the plane still in the avatar. Then I switch to the airplane virtual cockpit. You will find yourself outside the plane. Open the door with mouse or keyboard then get into the plane sliding along the virtual seat. Once seated, you will not be in the exact right spot. Get yourself comfortable and align your seating position by tapping on the side of the Rift to register a new re-centering. If it is still not right, I either wiggle my physical seating position in reality to realign my seating position or change the seating position slightly with the CTRL-ENTER, CTRL-BACKSPACE, SHIFT-ENTER, SHIFT-BACKSPACE etc which can be assigned to a joystick, mouse or even verbally spoken with voice recognition. If you want to get it exactly perfect, you have to modify the aircraft.cfg file. I personally don't bother. There are other ways to go with getting yourself seated in the cockpit.

Cheers

And that is on a laptop now that does deserve a wow. Would not have thought a laptop would be capable. Must be amazing to take a laptop and a rift whereever you want to go in the world and fly a pattern. Take a cold shower though. You are going to be limited in what is achievable on only a 980m GPU. EDIT: (Forget ORBX scenery for one, except FTX global texture replacement which should be fine).

When I start a flying session, I click the option to startup flyinside to center my position where-ever I am sitting at the time. Now I am at the scenario screen and know that when I enter the plane I will be roughly in the cockpit seat. Then I load the scenario and immediately switch to avatar virtual cockpit and take a first person walk around the plane and may be even a stroll of the local field. Then I walk up to the plane, physically stand up off my chair and with the rift on, walk to about the distance I would expect to open the cockpit door of the plane still in the avatar. Then I switch to the airplane virtual cockpit. You will find yourself outside the plane. Open the door with mouse or keyboard then get into the plane sliding along the virtual seat. Once seated, you will not be in the exact right spot. Get yourself comfortable and align your seating position by tapping on the side of the Rift to register a new re-centering. If it is still not right, I either wiggle my physical seating position in reality to realign my seating position or change the seating position slightly with the CTRL-ENTER, CTRL-BACKSPACE, SHIFT-ENTER, SHIFT-BACKSPACE etc which can be assigned to a joystick, mouse or even verbally spoken with voice recognition. If you want to get it exactly perfect, you have to modify the aircraft.cfg file. I personally don't bother. There are other ways to go with getting yourself seated in the cockpit.

Cheers

Ok, I have a lot to learn...thanks for all the info and help. 

-realkewl

Anyone looking forward to the next gen of VR?  The HTC Vive Pro has a nice resolution upgrade and is promised for Q1 2018.  

I've been at this VR thing for more than a couple of years, and with a direct PC connected HMD for about a year.  I have 6 VR headsets, a hunk of cardboard, a Homido (1st gen ... these first two are cardboard based), a Gear VR with a note 8, a Pimax 4k, a Pimax 4k BE, and Samsung Odyssey.  They ALL have enough pixel density to be able to read gauges in Prepar3d.

I can highly recommend the Odyssey.  However, this guy is a leading VR reviewer on Youtube, and he saying that the Lenovo is a pretty good thing too, better than Oculus Rift.  Tracking will be good enough for Prepar3d, but more importantly, So Will Resolution.  You will need Fly-inside to get optimal performance.  And Fly-inside is rushing to get the Windows Mixed Reality compatibility going as I write this.

So Sebastian is saying WMR Head Mounted Devices are going for $200 on Amazon right now.  And I say if you're interested in trying it out Go For It.  You won't regret it at that price.

Do Not buy the current HTC Vive (there is a new version coming out in months, Vive Pro, with higher resolution) or an Oculus for Prepar3d at this time.  They Do Not Cut It for resolution, and you'll be disappointed if your thing is Prepar3d.

After you are hooked in VR with FOV topping out at 110 and resolutions topping out at 4k (upscaled from QHD), Hold on until the Pimax 8k is released.  It will have 200 FOV (just 20 short of a full FOV horizontal) and 8K pixels across the horizon (and full FOV verticle). 

They are delayed a little bit, so I'm guessing April before the general public can get one, but if they deliver what they promise That is the VR HMD you're going to want to get.  My experience with both Pimax versions out now, the 4k (upscaled from QHD signal) to BE (QHD, same as All WMR HMD, better than Vive or Rift ... Vive Pro will be slightly better at 1600)  is that they didn't have the partnerships they needed in the past for good screens in the 4k and usb hardware..  The BE is an excellent product, but had no controllers ... and I broke mine :( (My Fault, I opened it cause I'm stupid).  That's how I arrived at the Samsung Odyssey. 

Anyways, I believe they've found their partnerships for the Pimax 8K.  So far many of the testers are excited.