Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

HTC Vive + P3D + Flyinside = Mind Blown!

So, my HTC Vive arrived yesterday. I didn't have alot of time to try out p3d, but I promised myself that that would be one of the very first things I would do. Today I sucessfully took a trip in the Aerosoft A321 in full 3D. No words can really explain the sensation. My stomach even felt it when I banked to the right..! I got an increadibly smooth landing due to the new hightened perception of height.

The level or realism cant really be compared to anything I have experienced in simming before - the only thing that it can be compared to is sitting in the real aircraft. It's no joke!

The downside as we all know by now is that the graphics are pretty bad. Everything looks like it's on fire due to all the shimmering, but I will of course investigate this further in the next few days (and probably weeks). What helped me cope with this was using a camera addon like OpusFSI (I would have preferred EZDOK but it keeps on faulting). Just turn off Dynamic Head Movement (DHM) and you can use your cameras like normal, and I have my cameras set close to all the typical spots you need to input data in the FMS. That way I can clearly see what I'm doing. One thing I hope to figure out sooner rather than later is how to make the headset use my right eye as my primary eye. It uses the mouse on the left eye on clickspots, and I have to squint with my right eye to make out where exactly my mouse pointer is pointing.

MIND TOTALLY BLOWN! I have absolutely no doubt about VR becomming the future of simming.

• Upvote 6

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Welcome to the world of Virtual Reality. I agree 100%. I have the Rift. A thread was already started here where we're all sharing tips, tricks, and experiences with VR.:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/488700-htc-vive-vs-rift-vr-for-p3d/

The experience of flying now has taken a real dimension of immersion unlike anything which has preceded it.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

So, my HTC Vive arrived yesterday. I didn't have alot of time to try out p3d, but I promised myself that that would be one of the very first things I would do. Today I sucessfully took a trip in the Aerosoft A321 in full 3D. ...

MIND TOTALLY BLOWN! I have absolutely no doubt about VR becomming the future of simming.

FYI....I SOLD MY Oculus Rift CV1 because I could not/Dev could not get FlyInside to work in P3d....if you check out frooglesim's YouTube on OR/P3d/FlyInside....He too got it to work...I asked his viewers, Froogle, and the Dev for help...none was forthcoming...thus the my decision to sell.

I very well might still have it if I could get P3d to work...glad your rig works.

Chas

• Upvote 1

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

...well, I've got Google Cardboard and a Galaxy Note ...lol... is there a program that can get Flyinside working in P3D with these.... I realise that the resolution would be poor but would be nice to try it....

mustang_banner_newstar2777.png

Someone would have to record a mirrored view with flyInside and put it up on YouTube... you might be able to enjoy a SBS view of it there.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

...well, I've got Google Cardboard and a Galaxy Note ...lol... is there a program that can get Flyinside working in P3D with these.... I realise that the resolution would be poor but would be nice to try it....

There are a very few recorded SBS videos of p3d/fsx on youtube.you could enjoy those using cardboard.i had a cardboard too..and when i was convinced i graduated to oculus rift

Got my Vive yesterday too. Have to agree about the sensation of flight. Using the Dodosim and taking off from a rooftop in Dubai is mind blowing. Ditto landing PMDG777.

Word of caution with the resolution, as others have said. Digits on gauges are only just readable when seated in the correct position. Pixels are easy to see. Doubt that this is fixable with any software adjustments on the current generation of headsets. Cant be worn for long periods due to eye strain and comfort.

I now cant decide whether to use 4k TV or headset.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

I now cant decide whether to use 4k TV or headset.

I predict you'll be back to 4k, as many of us have done, after about a week of eye strain with the HMD.

I'm bummed to be back on the sidelines and "waiting" yet again, but Gen 2 and higher resolution is what's needed for full comfort in this application sadly.

Might be a long wait - No idea.  :-(

I predict you'll be back to 4k, as many of us have done

With all due respect, that is way to filled with assumptions.

Not everyone flies heavies. Some of us fly small GA, helicopters and gliders!

Whether you can adapt to motion sickness depends on many things like age, eyesight, health, whatever.

Not everyone is on luxury 4K monitors! 1K monitors are pretty blurry too.

Not all of us have a lot of luxurious room to plonk a big flat screen down.

If you do fly heavies, of course you don't need a headset.

Flying heavies is mainly about planning and pressing buttons in the right sequence at the right time.

You don't need 3D for that.

3D is for all the pilots out there that are already thinking full 3D in their minds and vision.

For us, 3D headsets make real what we have imagined all along - raw 3D flying.

The only thing I would agree with, is that yes our minds are blown with 3D headsets,

but not just blown, but washed, which is exactly what the corporations and government want us to be.

That is why 3D technology is coming to the masses.

But then again, a big flat screen tv does a pretty good job at that too.

• Upvote 2

Also invested in a VIVE.  I was going OR but then changed my mind.

Only just downloaded FlyInside - it seems pretty good.  Still on the free trial version but so far it seems good and polished.

Will prob buy the full version over the weekend.

The immersion is just crazy with HMD and although its lacking resolution at present its not that far off being very useable.  For me its just for fun but with a small step up in resolution of say 25-35% I think it will be suitable for most. 

I think my only issue at the moment is my 970 is struggling in p3d with the vive as its quite choppy if I move my head quickly but I plan to get a 1080ti as soon as its out.

Last night flying some fast jets through the hills was really amazing.

Lucky I don't really suffer from motion sickness unless I do something stupid and my ears don't like it but on the whole I feel fine for 2-3 hours gaming.

The other games that come with the vive are almost more impressive than flight sims!

Everywhere I read, the #1 complaint about VR is the low'ish resolution.

I would love to try VR for a few days but then return it and wait for the Gen2 or Gen3 version with improved resolution in 10 years time. Oh well.

The initial experience of VR really is mind blowing.  

I want to say a heartfelt "Thank you" to all you early adopters.

I'm imensly interested in VR but after reading so much about it, I have made my mind that I will wait until the next generation with better resolution displays comes out.

And that will only happen if there are enough early adopters.

• Upvote 1

With all due respect, that is way to filled with assumptions.

Not everyone flies heavies. Some of us fly small GA, helicopters and gliders!

Whether you can adapt to motion sickness depends on many things like age, eyesight, health, whatever.

Not everyone is on luxury 4K monitors! 1K monitors are pretty blurry too.

Not all of us have a lot of luxurious room to plonk a big flat screen down.

If you do fly heavies, of course you don't need a headset.

Flying heavies is mainly about planning and pressing buttons in the right sequence at the right time.

You don't need 3D for that.

3D is for all the pilots out there that are already thinking full 3D in their minds and vision.

For us, 3D headsets make real what we have imagined all along - raw 3D flying.

The only thing I would agree with, is that yes our minds are blown with 3D headsets,

but not just blown, but washed, which is exactly what the corporations and government want us to be.

That is why 3D technology is coming to the masses.

But then again, a big flat screen tv does a pretty good job at that too.

Wow... I was really rootin for you untill you derailed there on the last paranoia piece.... Somebody call the looney bin...

samsung says its working on an 11k display. This would be the solution for vr :smile:

And what supercomputer will you push these 11k with...?