Sign in to follow this  
Anderscn

What Skylake MB´s are you using?

Hi,

I am about to start simming again after a couple of years pause.

I am going to build a new Skylake PC around a 6600k CPU, a GTX980 and a couple of fast G.Skill Trident Z sticks.

My previous PC´s have been built with Asrock boards, that served me well - somehow I have sweet spot for Asrock.

What are you using? As I like longhaul flights with the CS 777 for instance, longevity/durability is important for me.

I will be using FSX/DX10.

BR,

Anders

I'm running the asrock z170 pro4s with the i6600k and a gtx 970, same ram you've selected as well.   Pretty speedy little machine in my book.  I can never afford the top o the line when I build so this put me in a good spot $$ wise and got me pretty solid performance.

I was originally intending the Asus Z170 Deluxe. But decided the extra features of the Deluxe wouldn't be used, so opted for the Z170-A. 

I always favor Asus. Great boards, great UEFI and a nice software bundle. Overclocking really easy.

Asus have been reliable for me, the only issue I've had over the years was a previous board that failed, and years ago, a system I built for someone else had a dodgy board from new, RMA'd it. Apart from that, no issues.

Failure rate is something that's difficult to quantify as Manufacturers don't quote any figures, so all we can do is consider our own experiences with a product and consider reviews on sellers websites.  

ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming.+ 6700k+ G.Skill Ripjaws V Red DDR4 2400 (2X8GB)

Perfect combo.

Best

Miquel.

ASUS Maximus VIII impact, recently changed to the bigger Maximus VIII GENE sibling because i'm switching from my 3x SATA SSDs to 2x PCI-E NVMe versions (less cables, faster speed).

Intel Core i7 6700k (4.8GHz) and 16GB DDR4 CAS16 at 3733Mhz.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Asus maximus viii hero, pushing my 6700k @ 4.7ghz

Great board.

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

Hi,

I am about to start simming again after a couple of years pause.

I am going to build a new Skylake PC around a 6600k CPU, a GTX980 and a couple of fast G.Skill Trident Z sticks.

My previous PC´s have been built with Asrock boards, that served me well - somehow I have sweet spot for Asrock.

What are you using? As I like longhaul flights with the CS 777 for instance, longevity/durability is important for me.

I will be using FSX/DX10.

BR,

Anders

Whats your budget, and what sort of features do you require? Motherboards range from dirt cheap to mega expensive.  :smile:

Hi

Thank you for the input. I really want a no-nonsense solid motherboard with a strong VRM for the CPU to keep it cool with a decent OC. As FSX only can benefit fron one GPU, I don't need 4 pci slots. As I also plan to get one big SSD for the OS and sim+addons, I don't need 8 sata connections either.

The more I think of it, the Asus Sabertooth comes into my shortlist.. Or maybe the Asus Maximus Gene.

Best regards

Anders

Lifelong Asus junkie here. Always had great reliability and fantastic performance with Asus MB's. My last build on a Asus MB lasted over 6 years on a OC'd system that was on 24/7 for most of that time.

On my most recent build I went with a Asus Z170A but the board came DOA. Took it back to Micro Center to exchange but they were sold out of the Z170A's. Was gonna go with the Hero but I got a fantastic deal on a ASRock Extreme6. I've been quite impressed with this board so far. Coupled with GSkill DDR3400 ram it's humming along very nicely and stable at 4.7ghz. 

Still an Asus fan but nice to find success with other brands too.

AMD 7900X  |  ASRock Steel Legend X670E  |  G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 6000  |  MSI 6950XT  |  Noctua NH-D14  

EVGA Super NOVA 850W  |  Cooler Master HAF932  |  Hisense 43" 4K UHD  |  Win11

Asrock z-170 K6 running a 6700K  @ 4.7GHz  32 GB GSkill RAM running solid as a rock for 4 months now.

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

ASUS Z170-A here. It offered plenty of USBs, and fan connectors (i think like 6 of them). Easy to overclock in bios, and I prefer to do it manually. It's been solid for the $140 range, as I found that anything pricier included hardware that I didn't need. 

I was anxious about the number of negative reviews on a lot of Skylake boards but I was reminded by friends on this forum that most people who have good experiences don't bother rating the products, it's mainly the ones who have problems. Good luck with whatever you choose, the important part is to make sure that everything is compatible (i.e. check the qualified vendor lists for DDR4 compatibility and such).

Jim Schroeder

i9 9900k @ 5.0ghz | Gigabyte GTX1080ti | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3600 

ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming.+ 6700k+ G.Skill Ripjaws V Red DDR4 2400 (2X8GB)

Same as mine, except I got the Z170I Pro Gaming (the mini-itx version).  I've used all the major mobo makers and ASUS has been my go-to for about the last 10 years.  This board has been perfect for all my needs.

Andrew Farmer

My flight sim blog: Fly, Farmer, Fly!

Asus Z170 Sabertooth Mark 1 win 7 ultimate 64 bits with no Windows update whatsoever. I didint even install sp1

6700k Overclocked @4.6 at 1.35 vcore, at that vcore 4.7 freezes when runnning cinebench.

4.8 an blue screen upon Windows start.

At 4.6 completely stable running Aida64 for more tan 3 hours max temps in the 60´s.

Ill think ill try 1.325 see how it goes.

I went for this: EVGA Z170 Classified K 142-SS-E178-KR LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Interestingly, this motherboard supports up to 8 drives!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188181

13-188-181-08.jpg

13-188-181-06.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Very nice board. And of course EVGA support is second to none.   :smile: