Sign in to follow this  
planenut

P3d Regrets

I'm fixin to get a new computer and am curious about P3d.  I have always used FSX and have been more or less satisfied with its performance.  I see where more and more people are switching to P3d and am wondering if anyone has any regrets about switching from FSX.  What are some of the drawbacks or limitations in P3d that didn't occur in FSX.

Thanks for any advice that would be useful before I select which to use in the new puter.

Jim

No regrets. Only limitation is where an addon is not supported in P3D (eg. Coolsky DC9). Also be wary of addon replacement costs - it adds up!

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

No regrets at all.  As a matter of fact I have FSX on a WD Raptor drive....I am thinking of formatting the drive as I can't remember

the last time I ran FSX.

CK

• Upvote 1

No regrets. I haven't had a single OOM, CTD, I've been simming for about a year. I have A LOT of add-ons from many developers. Granted, there aren't as many add-ons as FSX. One thing I do is I keep it clean, meaning, if an add-on isn't certified for the version of P3D that you are using, I don't install it, as much as I would love it. There's this rule of thumb out there that if it's good for P3D V2, it's good for V3. Maybe I am too strict on this, but I don't go by that. I am happy with what I have, and many mainstream add-ons are compatible with V3.

One thing I do miss is AI traffic, which I refuse to purchase, again, becuase I couldn't find a satisfactory add-on. I got used to it, but, I am still hoping that MyTraffic will release something for P3D.

To sum it up, GO FOR IT!

• Upvote 1

So far, no regrets. I stepped in with version 2.2 and back then I wished I would have had made the switch earlier.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

In the beginning, I regretted not having access to several aircraft that are not functional in P3Dv3 because I'm OCD about my sims and will only have one MSFS-family sim installed at a time. Then I took a step back and realized that I really never actually flew those airplanes anymore - I was only regretting not having access to them. Simply knowing I couldn't use them was enough to build in some angst.

If I'm not flying those planes, I have no real need to be so cranky about it. So, I pretty much got over it and have no regrets as of this point. If you're getting/building a new PC, you're in a prime position to move yourself to Prepar3D.

Worst case scenario? You buy it and run it for 60 days and should you have serious regrets, you can take advantage of Lockheed Martin's return policy. I don't think you will, though!

One thing I do miss is AI traffic, which I refuse to purchase, again, becuase I couldn't find a satisfactory add-on. I got used to it, but, I am still hoping that MyTraffic will release something for P3D.

MyTraffic 6.0a is fully compatible with P3Dv3,

MT60a.jpg

• Upvote 1

Poppet went to a lot of trouble putting this together -  it will help. I've been running MT6 with no issues at all.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/483116-how-do-i-install-my-traffic-60a-for-prepar3d-v3/

Vic

• Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Biggest issues for me is that one of my airports is not compatible with version 3, and also, PMDG addons need to be repurchased, at a higher price than their FSX counterparts. P3D itself is also more expensive than FSX but it gives you a lot more stability and nicer eyecandy so well worth the extra money.

Other than that, it's well worth going down the P3D route.

• Upvote 1

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

I, too, gave up my PMDG aircraft.  Also gave up RealityXP and had to repurchase GTN750.  Other than that, the lighting, the dense clouds, the shadows.  it is really nice.

• Upvote 2

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

No regrets at all, but be advised it may be a costly transition, depending on the aircraft/sceneries/publisher you already have.

Some publishers provide free P3D versions when you have FSX version, some charge (again) the full price, and some even charge (again) the full price + a substantial extra amount.

So depending on your current add-ons, do the math.

Is P3D perfect? No it isn't

Is P3D substantially better then FSX? Yes, it is

• Upvote 1

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Being one of a handful of pilots who use a laptop, I can say with all honesty that P3D has run a whole lot better with LM's progressive developments.  With FSX, even with tweaks and DX10 fixes, still never ran as fluid or looked as impressive as P3D.  I'm currently running v3.2 (cannot be had anymore as I am told), and I still find it extremely hard to upgrade to v3.3.  A good example to keep note of, when I was invested 100% in FSX (later to FSX:SE), I would fly maybe once a week, likely due to bad stutters, OOMs and the like but with a complete 180 to P3D, I fly about once a day.  I've purchased more for P3D now and have had no regrets of what I have spent in the past.  It's a progression and a hobby and still money well spent.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit