Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

New TrackIR 5...hurts my eyes

Try your scenario again only this time, when you press F9 again to turn on, press F12 immediately after and you will center your view again.

Oh...hmmm.  I'll try again tomorrow.  Another road trip today. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Here is the default profile I'm currently using:

5f5891c378fc86758a1cd2f7d77329ab.jpg

Be aware of the "Trap" checkbox, if checked it will block your sim from responding to the assigned hotkey (in my case that's by design, F9, F7, F12 -- but also made sure my add-ons are NOT set to the same keys and or P3D.

Cheers, Rob.

Once you set up you view and hit F9  to turn off - unless your head is in the EXACT same place when you press f9 again,the view will move in relationship to where your head was last centered.

It doesn't work that way for me! Pause and un-pause work just as you'd expect them to. Maybe this is a problem with the P3D version of EZCA.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

You mean that if you look straight ahead and then pause TIR, then look left and unpause TIR, the screen is still showing the straight ahead view? Shouldn't be - when you unpause TIR reads the reflectors and would move the view left.  It is possible though that there is some interaction with EZDOK - I didn't care for it so I don't use it.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

when you unpause TIR reads the reflectors and would move the view left

Yes, of course that's how it's supposed to behave. I misunderstood your previous description as saying yours didn't do this. I still don't know what you mean by having to use F9 and F12 together.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Yes, of course that's how it's supposed to behave. I misunderstood your previous description as saying yours didn't do this. I still don't know what you mean by having to use F9 and F12 together.

ok - I mean one right after another. If I'm flying with TIR and someone comes in, I hit f9 and look away to talk to them - then look back at screen hit F9 immediately followed by F12 and I'm centered straight ahead. Having them on the rocker switch makes it a quick flick of the thumb - almost like pressing them together.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Okay, I think I have it figured out.  I think it was partly me and partly EZDok messing up.  I'll say it's not as 'comfortable' as using EZDok but that's probably because it's what I'm used to.  Also, there are some 'stutters' in the movement from time to time but I'll work on that.  At least it makes sense setting it up and better than it was when I started.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Track IR is one of my most exspensive addons for FSX but stopped using it some years ago due to many of the issues outlined above.  The hat switch combined EZCA is a much more satisfactory way to pan around the VC for me.

Bruceb

Funny, everytime I read one of these threads on Track IR, I turn mine on, and within 10 minutes turn it off again...Much prefer the hat switch. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Different strokes. Some people just don't like it and vice versa.

Vic

I spent some time optimizing the TIR axis curves and adjusting the eyepoint in my aircraft o complement my monitor and seating position. I now find it so natural and liberating that I couldn't imagine flying without it.

Regrding the OP, I've adjusted my axis curves so that it's essentially dead around the center with an acelerating response as I move toward the edge of my screen (with is Large). This allows small head movements (for scanning the core gauge cluster for instance) without the image moving around on the screen. Keeps your eyes from hurting!! :-)

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Using the hat switch, the head remains in one position regardless whether you look to the left or right. With TrackIR you need to move the head which is a little closer to reality.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Another option that I use is mouse look ... map "space bar" to a button and move the mouse.  The original GoFlight flight Yoke with a mouse hat was actually a pretty good idea but it's implementation was bad just too much mouse hat sensitivity.

TrackIR is a compromise, in real world flight I turn my head and my eyes stay centered and I don't have to look out the corner of my eye to see what I'm looking for.  So TrackIR certainly isn't a perfect solution, but it's a relatively cheap compromise.

I would much rather have a 360 degree monitor setup (actually I'd settle for 220-240 degree) ... this is viable now with P3D multichannel.

Cheers, Rob.

I agree with those that point out the various drawbacks of using TrackIR. But it's still a lot better than all the other options. Using a keyboard or mouse to move your viewpoint around like an owl swiveling its head, it just kills the immersion, unless one is flying all the time in dense IFR soup. And if that's your game, then  one could probably just use a 2D cockpit view. Assigning buttons on a joystick to various views is just a hair better. And then there's the promise of Oculus Rift and other VR devices. Most hardware can't run  with them and then there's the whole problem of not being able to see your hands. Give that technology another year, maybe. Then we'll be able to tell either if it is a reasonable option or it's just another intermediate technology like 3D televisions.

and then there's the promise of Oculus Rift and other VR devices.

There is also eye tracking technology but that has it's compromises too.

I don't see how VR devices that you strap to your head is going to be "the future" ... it has it's initial "oh that's cool" factor, but when it comes day to day flying or long haul flights it's just a no go ... resolution is still too low, units are heavy and fatigue sets in quick making it uncomfortable.  VR when applied to flight sims seems like technology one spends some money on, desperately wants to make it work ignoring the many compromises, then the reality of day to day usage sets in and the device ends up on the shelf or ebay.

And that's coming from someone that just loves new tech ... hopefully technology finds better solutions for the long term.  I seem to recall there was some tech demo'd where the monitor would move in an arc based on head motion and the view point would match the arc ... this would solve the TrackIR limitation of looking out the corner of one's eye to see.

Cheers, Rob.