Sign in to follow this  
Tyrion

Future of the J41?

First of all, I want to say I'm not really asking for an official response here. Just putting my thoughts out there.

That being said, I just went through the arduous process of setting up a new PC, and installing all my flight simulator software.

One of the pieces of software being installed being the PMDG Jetstream 41.

Having installed FSX:SE instead of the disk version, got me thinking about what might be the future of the J41.

It was the first PMDG aircraft I ever flew, the aircraft on which I learned to do some semi-realistic fuel planning, the first add-on for which I got FS2Crew... And I still love it dearly. But it isn't available for P3D. It has a (admittedly minor) issue in FSX:SE. And it still has some issues that were going to be fixed in the never released SP2.

But even with all that, it's a small propliner which keeps me entertained, and has given me hours and hours of enjoyment.

Thinking about all that made me decide to throw my thoughts out there.

I would love for the J41 to have a sustained future... Official support for FSX:SE, a version for P3D, the legacy issues being fixed. Maybe even some general improvements being made.

In short, I'd love to see a small patch being created... Or that SP2 appearing after all... Or maybe even a PMDG J41 V2... I can dream, can't I? :wink:

Now, before anyone answers, I'm aware of the economic realities of these ideas.
No company can survive by just keeping old projects alive which no longer bring in money. And service packs don't bring in money, certainly not for an old project.

PMDG is most definitely a company which I'd prefer to see survive and thrive.

I hope I can voice this opinion without this topic resulting in demands being made or a bunch of name-calling...

Thanks...

• Upvote 2

Regards,

Lars Domen, aka Tyrion

My FS projects: http://larsdomen.tumblr.com/

Here, here!

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I agree... very much so.  My hope is that they return to the modifications for FSXSE when able and at the same time port her over to P3D.  I would love to be flying her into Orbx Rocky Mountains or up in Alaska to Cold Bay. I consider her the most enjoyable airplane to fly in the flight simulation world.

Doesn't hurt to let your interest show.

• Upvote 3

Dan Downs KCRP

I would pay double for a P3D compatible version of the JS41, still my favorite PMDG aircraft. Like you OP, it was my first, and still my favorite.

• Upvote 1

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

If this was a survey or petition to show interest in an updated jetstream or P3D version, I'd sign it. Like the previous post, I too would pay double. Even half upfront if it goes towards updating the current version to fsx:se while we are waiting.

• Upvote 1

No company can survive by just keeping old projects alive which no longer bring in money. And service packs don't bring in money, certainly not for an old project.

Would it be fair to say that it will in the long run? Continued support of older products that are not yet replaced by newer versions would strengthen confidence in the company that provides it and thus achieve higher sales with future products?

Your plea is very well put by the way.

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Would it be fair to say that it will in the long run? Continued support of older products that are not yet replaced by newer versions would strengthen confidence in the company that provides it and thus achieve higher sales with future products?

Your plea is very well put by the way.

Thanks.

Yes, you are most likely right in saying that continued support strengthens confidence in a company. That being said, I think a reputation for quality sells more products than continued support for old products. I also think that in the end, it's a matter of return on investment: developer time and effort (and thus money) being spend on a product that's past much of its shelf life, or on new products which have their entire shelf life (and thus revenue) yet to come.

Now I know I'm arguing against my own initial wish here... But it's how I see things. Also, I don't have any internal knowledge of PMDG or any other company for that matter. This is just my reasoning, which may be right or wrong. :wink: (Still wishing for that J41 update I wished for in my initial post though  :wink: )

Regards,

Lars Domen, aka Tyrion

My FS projects: http://larsdomen.tumblr.com/

Hi,

Call me crazy, but I love these big white switches on the overhead and there specific "clac" sound!  :wink:

• Upvote 2

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

...maybe just little update for Steam Edition compatibility :Praying:

Count me in. Not too many prop aircraft that have the quality the J41 has that handle a decent amount of PAX. I can live with the bugs. Just need a P3D installer. And yes, I'd pay again.

I would also pay for a P3D version ... as I did already for the PMDG 737-800/900 ​and -600/700.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Would also pay for a fully fsx:se and p3d compatible aircraft. The j41 is in my opinion one of the best payware aircraft on the market.

vafs_status.php?cs=AMA141&c=1&w=1

Would also pay for P3D compatability...really miss flying the Eastern Air J41 to & from Scotland

Rgds, Shaun

I wish people would stop going on about how good the J41 is. They keep making me want to buy it :smile: , and I already have the Q400, Metroliner and Fokker F27 in that space. If I ever did take the PMDG plunge, though, that's probably where I'd start...however, buying it again if I switch to P3D at some point doesn't have much appeal.

(I was a passenger on one twice between Dublin and Newcastle.)