Sign in to follow this  
captain_adf

Best practices for reducing VAS usage

Hi folks,

Yet another OOM thread (sorry!)  I'm hoping to find a checklist of best practices for reducing VAS that's up to date for p3d v3.

I got greedy with my new install and pretty much maxed everything out so I'm not surprised I ended up with an OOM.  So now I am wondering where I should start to nudge things back down to reality.  I'm thinking clouds, vector, and road traffic are probably the 3 best places to start, but what would be the best way to get rid of the worst VAS offenders?

NGX sp1d

Departure airport:  FB KSFO HD

Destination:  FSDT KLAX

These are the only 2 add-on airports installed at the moment.  ASN weather was active and quite a bit of cloud cover on approach at LAX.  VAS warnings appeared around T/D, hit OOM about 10DME from runway 24R.

Here's my setup:

i7-6700k, 16GB, GTX 970, win10 64-bit, 1920x1200x32

p3d 3.3.5:

• LOD: Ultra (one step below Max)
  • Tesselation: Max
  • Mesh resolution: 5m (2 steps below Max)
  • Texture resolution: 15cm (1 step below Max)
  • Water: High
  • Reflections: only user vehicle
  • Scenery complexity: Very Dense (1 below Max)
  • Autogen vegetation: Very Dense (1 below Max)
  • Autogen building: Dense (2 below Max)
  • Special effects: High and High
  • Lighting based on Rob's Medium settings:  http://www.robainscough.com/P3DV3_Settings_Medium.html
  • Weather: cloud draw: 80 miles, coverage High
  • Traffic:  0 aviation, 10% Road, 23% Ships, 19% Leisure boats
  • The only change I made to prepar3d.cfg is to add "AlwaysFullLoad=1"
  • Link to prepar3d.cfg:  http://pastebin.com/s0k8Fiwi

Orbx:  FTX Global, Vector, NCA, SCA, PNW

• NCA and SCA:  all options checked
  • Orbx trees and Vector road lights on
  • Vector:  All options checked

Rex 4 TD + SC

• all textures checked
  • clouds: 1024
  • runways/taxiways: 4096
  • clouds and wave:  32 bit

ASN SP5 (build 6010)

Andrew Farmer

My flight sim blog: Fly, Farmer, Fly!

Deactivating ORBX Vector and setting the LOD radius to High (2 steps below max) should give you a considerable VAS relief (over 500 MB in some critical regions from my experience). Try that out!

Deactivating ORBX Vector and setting the LOD radius to High (2 steps below max) should give you a considerable VAS relief (over 500 MB in some critical regions from my experience). Try that out!

+1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

There is no need to deactivate Vector just reduce some roads and turn off the lights when you fly in day light. It would be a shame to lose all that vital terrain information. However LOD radius is most important. Stay with the middle notch (I think this is high), use DXT5 clouds. You don't have to reduce scenery complexity. Leave it on Ultra.

I've always been curious, is there a gain from increasing the tessellation level to max? Does it further offload CPU rendering of terrain, does it just increase GPU workload, does it hold some sort of benefit?

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

There is no need to deactivate Vector just reduce some roads and turn off the lights when you fly in day light. It would be a shame to lose all that vital terrain information. However LOD radius is most important. Stay with the middle notch (I think this is high), use DXT5 clouds. You don't have to reduce scenery complexity. Leave it on Ultra.

That is true. I would start with deactivating Vector completely and gradually activating desirable features while keeping an eye on the VAS consumption. The impact by Vector on VAS obviously depends on the location. For example, if you fly over Siberia, you will hardly experience any VAS impact as opposed to the Washington D.C. or New York area.

I have the same exact system config and that seems like very moderate settings. It's a shame that VAS usage just keeps increasing at the same settings with v3.

Don't deactivate Vector completely. IMO that is silly considering you have paid good money for it and it does have a significant positive effect on the scenery over stock.

Go into the Vector control panel and be very selective about what you tick. I have deselected most everything except main highways and primary roads and traffic. Deselect tunnel exits and underlays (what is an underlay anyway?). Here is where Vector can really eat up VAS.

Flying from/to two "mega" airports can be just as much to " blame" for OOM as Vector. It's the combination of all these factors that cause you to OOM.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

UTX is a viable alternative to Vector with less VAS effect.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

My formula for never getting an OOM, is to use UTX in all the areas that I fly, and nothing by Orbx except  their trees, and staying away from add on airports. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

UTX is a viable alternative to Vector with less VAS effect.

Vic

Just wish it was world-wide. I fly a lot over in the southeast Asia area of the world and it's nice having realistic Vector data for that area.

Eric 

Does FTX Vectors really eat up a lot of VAS? I never really paid attention because I never have OOM'ed in P3D, and I've had FTX Vectors on the whole time.

Perhaps, it's just the airports eating up all the address space?

+1

Doesn't the autogen effect become very obvious at LOD high?

After the last reinstall of P3D I left FTX Vector away - never had any OOM issues again afterwards. And I can barely see a difference.