Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

Removing trees from SimHeaven OSM scenery?

So I downloaded W2XP America from SimHeaven to get some more variety of the autogen etc.

Unfortunately after all these years of development, it still has the same problem with trees. The coverage is way too dense, and they cover airports and runways. Is there any way to just pull out the trees from the scenery package, since I only really need the custom buildings?

I'm not sure how to generate scenery on my own. Numerous times, I've tried to find guides, but they're either outdated or the links are invalid. If anyone has a good guide (including how to actually get the OSM data for North America), that would be helpful too.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

So I downloaded W2XP America from SimHeaven to get some more variety of the autogen etc.

Unfortunately after all these years of development, it still has the same problem with trees. The coverage is way too dense, and they cover airports and runways. Is there any way to just pull out the trees from the scenery package, since I only really need the custom buildings?

I'm not sure how to generate scenery on my own. Numerous times, I've tried to find guides, but they're either outdated or the links are invalid. If anyone has a good guide (including how to actually get the OSM data for North America), that would be helpful too.

Your problem is very easy to fix...use Airport Design Editor.  You exclude trees on the airport property.  Once you do that, they will not appear within the bounds of the airport.  Do some research and it will become easy for you to correct this.

Unfortunately after all these years of development, it still has the same problem with trees.

There has been no development on W2XP since March last year, so unfortunately definitively not years of development  :wink: . As suspected, the issue can be resolved if you generate the scenery yourself and configure the tree density and where to place them. However, I pulled the application, blog, etc so the only tutorials left are those on YouTube (and they're pretty good). The rules I created and included in the application are for the UK, and if this rule was used for the US then I'm not surprised there are too many trees.

Exclusions will only work for airports and not the entire tile (you'll have no trees full-stop if you do this).

You could pull out just the buildings, but you'll need to open each DSF file up in a text editor and edit it by hand, removing all the entries for the trees. It would honestly be easier just making the scenery yourself. 

Your problem is very easy to fix...use Airport Design Editor.  You exclude trees on the airport property.  Once you do that, they will not appear within the bounds of the airport.  Do some research and it will become easy for you to correct this.

This would have to be repeated for every airport, though, which would be way too tedious. The problem isn't really the airports, but the W2XP scenery, since the airports appear fine with stock X-Plane scenery or the HD Mesh only.

Exclusions will only work for airports and not the entire tile (you'll have no trees full-stop if you do this).

That's a bit of an issue. I guess it's not possible to mix the tree coverage from the HD mesh with the buildings from W2XP, then? Anyway I'll check out some Youtube videos, didn't think about searching Youtube for tutorials, so that's a good suggestion.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP