Sign in to follow this  
Blaze

Will running the P3d "Repair option" restore original Shader Files?

Trying to use PTA_32.exe but I have 4 not original P3d shader errors in my log...

Cloud.fx

GPUTerrain.fx

General.FX

HDR.hlsl

Will doing a "repair" of P3dv32.2 restore them?

I am running P3Dv3.2 and don't wish to update yet.

RE Thomason Jr.

Hello 

By running a repair on the Prepar3D_Setup.exe it will restore all default files and folders.

The files you have posted are in the ShadersHLSL folder,  You could just Repair the Client   

Right click on Install_Client.msi and click repair 

Good to know! There's a repair option on just the client installer I'm going to try that route.

Thanks!

RE Thomason Jr.

Interestingly enough neither of the repair options Client.msi or main P3D repair seem to have restored my shader files however, uninstalling and then reinstalling/reactivating the client.msi as Elaine suggested did the trick. 

RE Thomason Jr.

The PTA backup/restore of the default shaders didn't work the first time that I tried it. I ended up with no clouds (nice haze but no clouds).

Using the uninstall/reinstall of the client.msi as Elaine suggested got everything back to default without disrupting any other functionality.

I manually emptied the ShadersHLSL folder and repaired Prepar3D 3.2, and it restored the original shaders.

The PTA backup/restore of the default shaders didn't work the first time that I tried it. I ended up with no clouds (nice haze but no clouds).

At fisrt start, PTA should automatically find proper P3D installation directory, shaders cache directory, and create backup of used in tweaks shaders to \SHADERS_BACKUP subdirectory in main PTA directory.

But if any shader at PTA first start is not original, it will be completely ignored: no backup for it, no tweaks for it, no restore from backup.

And every start PTA will try to find that original shader in ShadersHLSL folder of sim. If it will be found, tool start to work with this shader - backup, tweaks, restoring from backup.

Menu command "Restore original P3D shaders" restore  only those shaders that have been successfully stored at backup from your copy of Prepar3D. It's not a method to restore all original shaders (otherwise it seems to be distribution of copyrighted content.)

Best regards,

I thought that if you just deleted them P2D would rebuild them.

Jeff Callender

If you delete the shader cache P3D will rebuild it, but it rebuilds the cache from the currently installed shaders.

On 6/26/2016 at 2:41 AM, Buziel-411 said:

I manually emptied the ShadersHLSL folder and repaired Prepar3D 3.2, and it restored the original shaders.

This will work no problem,  But when you run a full Repair it will revert all files that have been Modified by 3rd Party Software back to Default,  This is Ok, as in most case you can Inject your Precipfs or Rex Texture Theme again,  You can just open your FTX Control Panel and it will Automatically Modify your Autogen files again and so on,  Some other Software you have to run the Installers again,  The 1 software that comes to mind is FTX Global Base,  These also modify a large amount of the Textures in  Prepar3D ► Scenery ► World  ► Textures. 

On 6/26/2016 at 3:15 AM, jbcallender said:

I thought that if you just deleted them P2D would rebuild them.

Jeff Callender

If you Delete the Shader folder Located below, Yes it will generate again when you launch Prepar3D  

Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► you ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin ► PreparD v3 Shaders 

But if you Delete the ShadersHLSL folder located below it Will Not generate again you launch prepar3D   

Prepar3D ► ShadersHLSL

The correct Shader folder to Delete and where and how to find it   http://www.avsim.com...older-prepar3d/

At fisrt start, PTA should automatically find proper P3D installation directory, shaders cache directory, and create backup of used in tweaks shaders to \SHADERS_BACKUP subdirectory in main PTA directory.

But if any shader at PTA first start is not original, it will be completely ignored: no backup for it, no tweaks for it, no restore from backup.

Thanks for the explanation. This was a fresh install of P3d v3,3 so not sure why the cloud.fx did not get backed up on initial run of PTA.

It was fairly easy to get sorted out.

Love PTA by the way!

That's what I did too, but for reasons unknown PTA still showed the non-default shader error?  I double checked versions to make sure I had not made some sort of mistake but near as I can tell I didn't.  I mean really, it's not a complex procedure but, the end state for me was having to uninstall the client and reinstall it, then I was set.

RE Thomason Jr.

This was a fresh install of P3d v3,3 so not sure why the cloud.fx did not get backed up on initial run of PTA

Maybe REX was installed with "Cloud size algortithm" option is on?  In that case REX modify cloud.fx shader.

That's what I did too, but for reasons unknown PTA still showed the non-default shader error?  I double checked versions to make sure I had not made some sort of mistake but near as I can tell I didn't.  I mean really, it's not a complex procedure but, the end state for me was having to uninstall the client and reinstall it, then I was set.

I'm trying to reproduce error situation with no original and original shaders and can't do it. In my case PTA run as described: error in log if non-original shader and when original shader placed in sim, found it, and make backup.

What is exact error message in log?

Just FYI table of original shader files sizes for different P3D versions:

Shader file name | Prepar3D version | Shader file size (bytes)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Cloud.fx         | 3.1              |  21690

Cloud.fx         | 3.2              |  21301

Cloud.fx         | 3.3              |  20578

GPUTerrain.fx    | 3.1              |  51019

GPUTerrain.fx    | 3.2              |  51029

GPUTerrain.fx    | 3.3              |  50854

General.fx       | 3.1              |  35841

General.fx       | 3.2              |  33360

General.fx       | 3.3              |  33360

GPUTerrain.fxh   | 3.1              |  14723

GPUTerrain.fxh   | 3.2              |  14723

GPUTerrain.fxh   | 3.3              |  14519

HDR.hlsl         | 3.1              |  6252

HDR.hlsl         | 3.2              |  6252

HDR.hlsl         | 3.3              |  6252

FXAAResolve.hlsl | 3.1              |  1077

FXAAResolve.hlsl | 3.2              |  1077

FXAAResolve.hlsl | 3.3              |  1077

I am using ASN with Rex Soft Clouds. Could that cause a similar issue? I have not use the "Cloud Size Algorithm" in any of the presets I tried.

Not seeing any log files in the PTA install location and no PTA folders in appdata(s). Where would the log files be located?

Not seeing any log files in the PTA install location and no PTA folders in appdata(s). Where would the log files be located?

Henry, PTA doesn't have a permanent log in file. Only current session log on bottom of main window.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.