Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

Thunderstorms with blue sky?

Noticed this when there is lite thunderstorms.

I have my settings as rob ainscouphs

But I have checked enhanced overcast and major thunderstorms in asn

Ditched 4x/sgss on nvidia inspector even tried dsr .Was crippling my performance

refresh rate 30hz

Pretty smooth through really heavy thunderstorms now.

Have to deal with slight jaggies and shimmering at airports an ut2 aircraft

Until I get a 4K

With 2 Titans sc in sli

Cheers

Mike

+1 on this. There isn't anything wrong with the weather engine in my opinion. If you were to have a decent lvel of "cloud layers" selected in ASN, plus "high" cloud coverage density in P3D, plus detailed clouds etc...you would not have a problem. 

Max out the weather settings you will get realistic overcast and thunderstorm depiction. But it will absolutely cripple your frames.

I am sacrificing weather at the moment to run 4xSGSS, but I may adopt your approach Mike.

Regards,

Dom

+1 on this. There isn't anything wrong with the weather engine in my opinion. If you were to have a decent lvel of "cloud layers" selected in ASN, plus "high" cloud coverage density in P3D, plus detailed clouds etc...you would not have a problem. 

Max out the weather settings you will get realistic overcast and thunderstorm depiction. But it will absolutely cripple your frames.

I am sacrificing weather at the moment to run 4xSGSS, but I may adopt your approach Mike.

Regards,

Dom

Hi Dom

I am running 3 cloud layers.

AA needs to be addressed somehow for clouds.

Or we all just get a 4K lol

Cheers

Mike

Thunderstorms can and do occur without overcast skies. In fact thunderstorms surrounded by blue skies is far more common in nature than "embedded" storms. Such that if you see a storm up ahead you should give it a wide berth of at least 20nm.

What does the METAR tell you? It will tell you the cloud cover at various levels and include TCB's etc. So from the METAR you should ascertain whether the expected storms are embedded or not.

Always when there are broken clouds and there is rain I see lighting in the distance.

Someone knows how to stop this ?

The only way I've been able to stop this is when I setup the weather manually via P3D's UI.  There does seem to be something very different between ASN weather reporting and the weather one can setup via P3D UI.

I love ASN, but I've also noticed there seems to be some "randomness" with how ASN depicts the weather ... a simple test is to use historic weather, go back 1 day take a screenshot, then go forward 1 day, then go back 1 day again (back to original date/time) and notice the difference.  As another test, use ASN, save the flight, exit ASN, then load the saved flight (without ASN running) ... the weather will be exactly the same.  Now repeat this test with ASN running (making sure times/dates are the same) and the weather will be different.

I use Google Earth with weather option enabled to locate nasty weather and then load a flight at an airport in the middle of it ... but when ASN loads using same date/time I get a different depiction from what Google Earth shows.

I can understand there will be some variance between actual and reported, but I'm a little puzzled at the variance from loading same date/time with ASN active.

Not complaining as ASN still does an outstanding job, but there does seem to be something "missing" or a little too much "random".

Here is a link to the P3D Weather System PDK and the METAR data format.  Quick look at the FSX/ESP SDK docs and I don't see a Weather System PDK so I'm assuming this functionality is exclusive to P3D.

Cheers, Rob.

I have used FSGRW for weather but switched to ASN due to the weather radar working in PMDG aircrafts. However, due to the above reasons, I more and more use FSGRW for VFR flights and ASN for IFR flights. At least in Europe, FSGRW is often closer to the real weather situation. Both apps are still far from being perfect.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Always when there are broken clouds and there is rain I see lighting in the distance.

Someone knows how to stop this ?

maybe try flipping the "prevent thunderstorms when CB reported" option?

i think this is in there because of the issue you describe. i remember reading somewhere (maybe on avsim) where it is common to use this suffix in europe even when there are not thunderstorms but not common in the usa. hmm, or it might be the reverse of that.. i recall it was recommended to set it one way or another depending where you are flying. my recollection is foggy but if you search for that you will probably find the thread. i always leave it off because i am lazy and i don't mind a bit of extra lightning

cheers

-andy crosby

As stated above my personal belief is that unless your weather settings are nearly maxed out, the depiction of the METAR from ASN is not neccessarily going to match up.

Rain cannot fall directly from a blue sky of course. It's highly likely that the volume of clouds depicted in P3D is lower than reality.

ASN might be saying OVC with rain but your only getting FEW/BKN in P3D + rain because your cloud layers or coverage density isn't set appropriately to model OVC layers.

Turn everything up to max you will get your cloud coverage and correct depiction of thunderstorms.

Cloud density is always at Max

CDD 120

Max Vis 135

3 cloudlayers

Mult Vis Layers

Vol Fog Enabled

Pretty good it seems to me

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Hi,

the problem is how the sim understands what we consider a specific coverage. That is for example if the metar specifies -TSRA FEW CB, we'd expect to look at the sky and see mostly clear skies but some areas of the sky (eg 2/8) would have a large CB.

Now, try setting in FSX/P3D manually (with user defined weather) a single CB with 2/8 coverage. You'll immediately understand what I'm talking about. The sim will insert many "tiles" of few cumulus clouds with several very small "pseudoCB". And you'll get lightning out of blue skies too often, due to the way the sim calculates the area the effect should be activated.

So, in ASN what we did to circumvent this is we added the High detail thunderstorm option, which will essentially skip the metar and try to create a more believable thunderstorm depiction by adding several cloud layers. This however has a significant performance hit and I believe now we've set the option to false by default for this exact reason. So, to resolve the OP issue, try enabling this option.

In AS16/ASCA we have completely redesigned the cloud models used to depict thunderstorms trying to improve the depiction and at the same time trying to avoid too much overdraw (leading to a performance hit). You'll soon be able to test all this :)

BTW: @Rob, we do ackowledge that in ASN one of the ways we used to provide variance in cloud depiction lead to non-reproducible test cases. This has also been addressed in AS16 by using a new hash generating algorithm.

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Rain cannot fall directly from a blue sky of course.

It can actually. Blue sky doesn't necessarily mean that temperature and dew point within 5 degrees of each other at a specific altitude cannot cause precipitation to form. In other words clouds are not a pre-requisite of precipitation per se. The precipitation forms more quickly than the formation of cloud.

It happens a lot in the UK!

Hi,

the problem is how the sim understands what we consider a specific coverage. That is for example if the metar specifies -TSRA FEW CB, we'd expect to look at the sky and see mostly clear skies but some areas of the sky (eg 2/8) would have a large CB.

Now, try setting in FSX/P3D manually (with user defined weather) a single CB with 2/8 coverage. You'll immediately understand what I'm talking about. The sim will insert many "tiles" of few cumulus clouds with several very small "pseudoCB". And you'll get lightning out of blue skies too often, due to the way the sim calculates the area the effect should be activated.

So, in ASN what we did to circumvent this is we added the High detail thunderstorm option, which will essentially skip the metar and try to create a more believable thunderstorm depiction by adding several cloud layers. This however has a significant performance hit and I believe now we've set the option to false by default for this exact reason. So, to resolve the OP issue, try enabling this option.

In AS16/ASCA we have completely redesigned the cloud models used to depict thunderstorms trying to improve the depiction and at the same time trying to avoid too much overdraw (leading to a performance hit). You'll soon be able to test all this :)

BTW: @Rob, we do ackowledge that in ASN one of the ways we used to provide variance in cloud depiction lead to non-reproducible test cases. This has also been addressed in AS16 by using a new hash generating algorithm.

Thanks Kostas for the explanation...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0