Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

Thinking of switching my PMDG stuff from FSX to p3dv3

Ok before I drop like $200 (NGX&777)on this I'd like to know how my performance will be in p3dv3 compared to FSX,most of the time I can maintain atleast 30 fps in V3 save for some of the Carendo jets at Orbx airports.

My specs

I7-4790k @4.5ghz

Gtx980ti

16gb ddr3 1866mhz

120gb SSD for Windows

512gb SDD for prepar3d.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Ok before I drop like $200 (NGX&777)on this I'd like to know how my performance will be in p3dv3 compared to FSX,most of the time I can maintain atleast 30 fps in V3 save for some of the Carendo jets at Orbx airports.

My specs

I7-4790k @4.5ghz

Gtx980ti

16gb ddr3 1866mhz

120gb SSD for Windows

512gb SDD for prepar3d.

I have almost the same setup but a slower card.  I7-4790k , GTX 970, 256GB SSD running  win10 and a 500GB for P3D. I find P3D runs a lot better then FSX. Never get any OOM crashes and it much smoother!

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

I have almost the same setup but a slower card.  I7-4790k , GTX 970, 256GB SSD running  win10 and a 500GB for P3D. I find P3D runs a lot better then FSX. Never get any OOM crashes and it much smoother!

Thanks for the quick reply,I haven't had an OOMS in FSXSE with PMDG stuff but I've quit flying heavy metal as FSX's graphics are disappointing after flying Biz jets in p3dv3. Looking forward to getting back in some big planes

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I personally use a Skylake CPU and the performance is stellar. With your hardware, you should have no issue running p3d. If you never had OOM's in FSXSE then you should be ok in P3D as well as long as you set the correct settings. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

I'd like to know how my performance will be in p3dv3 compared to FSX

Regardless of system, you will see better performance and superior graphics in P3D compared to FSX. The only caution is a reminder that they are still making improvements and each upgrade takes a couple of days for HiFi, Orbx and Couatl engine to catch up but so far they've been very quick. All my legacy sceneries work... a few freebies from AVSIM had to have a minor tweak done but that was insignificant.

Dan Downs KCRP

Regardless of system, you will see better performance and superior graphics in P3D compared to FSX. The only caution is a reminder that they are still making improvements and each upgrade takes a couple of days for HiFi, Orbx and Couatl engine to catch up but so far they've been very quick. All my legacy sceneries work... a few freebies from AVSIM had to have a minor tweak done but that was insignificant.

I have 3.2 and am extremely happy with it so unless they make a major breakthrough I'll be sticking with it till 64bit

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I tried running the Aerosoft bus and Ifly747 in 3.2 tonight the fps was horrible compared to FSX. Like down in the teens leaving FSDT KLAX where as in FSX I never drop below 30. Guess I'll keep FSX around for the heavy stuff as I'm not gonna risk spending $200 and have unusable planes.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I tried running the Aerosoft bus and Ifly747 in 3.2 tonight the fps was horrible compared to FSX. Like down in the teens leaving FSDT KLAX where as in FSX I never drop below 30. Guess I'll keep FSX around for the heavy stuff as I'm not gonna risk spending $200 and have unusable planes.

One big hint that broke my FPS loose - I turned off hyperthreading in the bios and removed affinitymask from my P3D.CFG.

Setup=i7 6700k @ 4.4 w/ GTX 970.     P3D 3.3 is  running at max settings except with LOD @ 4.5. FPS is 40-unlimited in almost every geo w/ FTX Global/Vector and tons of other stuff. 

5 cloud layers in ASN.

FPS in the cockpit: http://prntscr.com/bl92mp

FPS outside the cockpit: http://prntscr.com/bl92hn

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World

I tried running the Aerosoft bus and Ifly747 in 3.2 tonight the fps was horrible compared to FSX.

To each his own, but I'm not sure how much of a test you conducted. Did you seek help in the LM P3D forum? I mean just visually the improvement from FSX to P3D is major and my FPS stays locked at my 35 limit except with ASN overcast/undercast. Of course, the tweaks you are used to in FSX in general do not apply to P3D, and since v3.0 much of the display work has been put on the GPU.

I've tried it with/without hyperthreading and it seems to depend on the system because I didn't see an advantage, and my AM setting that works best is 85 but each box is different. My box is an i7-6700K 4.7 GHz GTX 980Ti with a 2K monitor... very happy with things as they are.

Dan Downs KCRP

My specs

I7-4790k @4.5ghz

Gtx980ti

16gb ddr3 1866mhz

120gb SSD for Windows

512gb SDD for prepar3d.

That is the exact same setup I am running.  Well worth the $$$, what amazed me the most is how much shadows (with DX11) contributes to the sim.

Kevin

-.- . ...- .. -.
Kevin Conlon
Pharmacist, Pilot and Parrot Head

I9-9900K  4.9GHz | RTX 2080 TI FE | 27" Asus Monitors x 3| MSI Z370 | Crucial M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x 2 | Toshiba HDD 2TB | WDC HDD 2TB | 32 GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10