Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

“Godless” apps, some found in Google Play, can root 90% of Android phones

Just a heads up........ 

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/06/godless-apps-some-found-in-google-play-root-90-of-android-phones/

Researchers have detected a family of malicious apps, some that were available in Google Play, that contain malicious code capable of secretly rooting an estimated 90 percent of all Android phones.

In a recently published blog post, antivirus provider Trend Micro said that Godless, as the malware family has been dubbed, contains a collection of rooting exploits that works against virtually any device running Android 5.1 or earlier. That accounts for an estimated 90 percent of all Android devices. Members of the family have been found in a variety of app stores, including Google Play, and have been installed on more than 850,000 devices worldwide. Godless has struck hardest at users in India, Indonesia, and Thailand, but so far less than 2 percent of those infected are in the US.

Once an app with the malicious code is installed, it has the ability to pull from a vast repository of exploits to root the particular device it's running on. In that respect, the app functions something like the many available exploit kits that cause hacked websites to identify specific vulnerabilities in individual visitors' browsers and serve drive-by exploits.

• Upvote 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thanks for that. But in all honesty I wish I knew how to root my Android and get rid of all the nefarious crap apps that Google installs by default and cannot be got rid of, most of it virtually all junk.

Thanks for that. But in all honesty I wish I knew how to root my Android and get rid of all the nefarious crap apps that Google installs by default and cannot be got rid of, most of it virtually all junk.

If your really serious http://forum.xda-developers.com/  and it is usually not too hard.

I've done some rooting and it was worth it, but lately I have been satisfied with them as is.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

I knew how to root my Android and get rid of all the nefarious crap apps that Google installs by default and cannot be got rid of, most of it virtually all junk.

Easy, buy a Nexus or a Motorola, pure Android without bloat

Easy, buy a Nexus or a Motorola, pure Android without bloat

Good suggestion as the Samsung Galaxy I got via Virgin Media came pre-loaded with bloat.

There may be more but those were the two I found that delivered stock Android when I was in the market for a new phone, I specifically did not want anything that put its own customised UI over Android

I rooted my current tablet, but it was more out of curiosity than anything, and honestly I would probably leave well enough alone in hindsight, as nothing amazing came of it........

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I've always been fearful of Rooting my Android tablet, just because I don't want to brick it.

After reading through the different Android Forums, it's also very dependent on the particular Mod and the Device; some built in features you originally had may be lost if one tries to Root, so read carefully.

Alan   :smile:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg