Sign in to follow this  
bbilly05

Prepar3d v3.x - GTX760 or GTX970?

Hi All,

I'm looking to make the transition from FSX to Prepar3d.  

I'm currently running a GTX760 on my i4670K rig.  Do you think a GTX970 is worth it or required?  I thought with the release of NVIDIA's new cards, and the corresponding price drop it might be worth the investment.

Cheers,

Mark B.

WW1294.png

970 is a great card !

Why not save ur pennies a little longer and get a 980ti?

Cheers

Mike

$469 Aussie for GTX970 & $799 for the GTX980Ti - so half as much again is a bit of a stretch (if we are now in the margins for performance)???

WW1294.png

I'd probably wait for the 1070 or see what the AMD RX480 looks like. The latter seems to be the price/performance king in waiting.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I'd probably wait for the 1070 or see what the AMD RX480 looks like. The latter seems to be the price/performance king in waiting.

Cheers!

Luke

I have never liked AMD cards for flight sims. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I have never liked AMD cards for flight sims. 

AMD has traditionally been weak on the price/performance/efficiency ratio, but the RX480 at $199 is starting to look like a very interesting mid-range card. At half the 1070 it might be a good bargain.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

+1 for the 1070. I'm using a 760 4GB now, minor compromises, with great results! Even with all the add-ons we all seem to like.

James McLees

I just took a different approach to Prepar3d performance. I just picked up a 980TI Classified from new egg and just happened to run into a great deal on a new Samsung 4K 28" monitor (UE590D) for nearly half off the retail price. I am not as big a fan of the really big monitors as others are. I had a dell 24" and GTX 780. Only was able to mess around with it a couple hours last night. All I can say is Wow!. Very smooth with very high settings and no more need for the Nvidia inspector. My plan is to hold out for a year or so and see what comes along. I have yet to see anyone on the Flight Sim forums with a "You gota have this 1070 or 1080" post. That leads me to think there is a lot more smoke than fire here with this version of the new GPU. I do think the future does look bright in the coming year or two. Only time will tell.

Edit....I should add that this approach works for me since I don't fly the tubeliners ...only GA types.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

I got the GTX1070 yesterday and I went from the GTX670. I saw awesome perfmance increase in my 4 monitor setup (3 X 24" surround view) + 1 monitor. where the GPU was the bottleneck.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

OP/Mark

As you appear to be in the UK, have a look at CEX's website. They had a 980 on sale for around £320.

I got the GTX1070 yesterday and I went from the GTX670. I saw awesome perfmance increase in my 4 monitor setup (3 X 24" surround view) + 1 monitor. where the GPU was the bottleneck.

With that set up I bet you did see an awesome increase! LOL like going from C150 to a mustang!! Life is good when a plan comes together. :good:

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

like going from C150 to a mustang!! Life is good when a plan comes together.

Yeah..with respect to GPU..but if you only have a single monitor, then the GTX670 is pretty good, in that case, it may help to up the CPU  instead. Just a thought.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

@saywhuut0627

At what resolution? 1 Asus Strix 970 is enough to handle dense clouds for me @4x SGSSAA@1080p paired with 16gb Ram and an i5 4690k@4Ghz. I lock the framerate to 30fps with dxtory. Smooth as silk.

My 2xMSI 970 in sli paired with 16Gb Ram and an i7 4770k@4.4Ghz outputs @3840x2160p to a 55" Sony Bravia 4k HDR tv and I only use 2xmsaa at this resolution as anything more Antialiasing wise isn't really required. I use unlimited frames in the sim as it seems to stop any stuttering and don't use an external frame rate limiter when using sli.

Frames are at worst 25-30 and normally around 45-60+ depending where I am in the world. This is with a LOT of addons and active sky next running with maximum cloud coverage and rex soft clouds in sim.

Both the above were both obviously running from ssd, I use the awesome traffic optimizer that is here in the avsim forums to give me 5-10fps back when using mytraffic.

The only tweak to my .Cfg file on both the above is FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION 0.01

Not to hijack the thread, but would a dual GTX 970 be able to handle 4x SGSSAA in dense clouds?

Thanks

No!!

I have 2 Titans sc in sli and cripples with 4xsgss

Not even if u had 10 1080 running lol

AA needs to be addressed somehow.

Or just get a 4K

Cheers

Mike