Sign in to follow this  
bbilly05

Prepar3d v3.x - GTX760 or GTX970?

Not to hijack the thread, but would a dual GTX 970 be able to handle 4x SGSSAA in dense clouds?

Thanks

See my post #8 above. I think for now 4K is the only thing that is going to give a good image and handle the weather performance problem.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Hi All,

I'm looking to make the transition from FSX to Prepar3d.  

I'm currently running a GTX760 on my i4670K rig.  Do you think a GTX970 is worth it or required?  I thought with the release of NVIDIA's new cards, and the corresponding price drop it might be worth the investment.

Cheers,

Mark B.

Well I've gone from a GTX 770 to a GTX 970 and the ulra wide screen route worth every euro great card ;-)

André

@saywhuut0627

At what resolution? 1 Asus Strix 970 is enough to handle dense clouds for me @4x SGSSAA@1080p paired with 16gb Ram and an i5 4690k@4Ghz. I lock the framerate to 30fps with dxtory. Smooth as silk.

My 2xMSI 970 in sli paired with 16Gb Ram and an i7 4770k@4.4Ghz outputs @3840x2160p to a 55" Sony Bravia 4k HDR tv and I only use 2xmsaa at this resolution as anything more Antialiasing wise isn't really required. I use unlimited frames in the sim as it seems to stop any stuttering and don't use an external frame rate limiter when using sli.

Frames are at worst 25-30 and normally around 45-60+ depending where I am in the world. This is with a LOT of addons and active sky next running with maximum cloud coverage and rex soft clouds in sim.

Both the above were both obviously running from ssd, I use the awesome traffic optimizer that is here in the avsim forums to give me 5-10fps back when using mytraffic.

The only tweak to my .Cfg file on both the above is FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION 0.01

I don't know what I'm doing wrong then, b/c I basically have the same setup.  I have the i5 4670K OC to 4.5ghz, Gigabyte G1 GTX 970, 16gb ram and am at 1080p.  I was using REX and maybe that has something to do with the FPS crippling with the 4x SGSSAA?

I have never liked AMD cards for flight sims. 

I couldn't wait....and I am NOT a happy camper with my new MSI GTX 1080 Gamer....was I expecting too much?...

Exactly, Rob, et al, what does the fastest Video Card extant buy me with P3d v3.23 (3.35 dl'd but not yet installed)?

...should I sell this on ebay?.

...wait for p3dv4 with DX12??

...get that MSI gaming MOBO with that I-7 6700K and 16GB of ram???

....this is gonna be the last major purchase I can afford...lest I win the lottery...

granted I only have an I-7 2600K OCd to 4.3Ghz...and most sliders maxed and UTX v2 or FtxSCA almost sputters at 12FPS

....guess I shot myself in the foot

Chas

this screenshot is from my 3 monitor setup with FTXSCA and UTXusaV2 unchecked in Scenery Library

DgcRL7I.jpg

...lots of blur mid screen back....but...pretty cool on three monitors...short of getting a 30Hz monitor...any way to kill the blurries?

...where

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2