Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

Anyone else see the new lighting engine coming to XP?

I was watching a video of the Flightsimcon and toward the end they showed the new rendering engine all I can say is wow,I hope this comes out soon.

• Upvote 1

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

It sort of bugs me this developer doesn't simply flash hire 15 people for 2 years and put out a complete, full featured sim. If they did, I feel it would simply eclipse everything else out there in sales and bar none dominate.

• Upvote 5

Yes, really looking forward to this. I don't like the external plastic look of the aircraft in X-Plane and this should add an entire new level of realism. The real-time ambient occlusion is another feature which will change the look of the scenery in a subtle but nice way (but for those who have it baked into their own textures for airports, will likely need to be edited)

It sort of bugs me this developer doesn't simply flash hire 15 people for 2 years and put out a complete, full featured sim. If they did, I feel it would simply eclipse everything else out there in sales and bar none dominate.

It's not that easy. 15 new developers aren't going to know how to code on the new system and will need training and a lot of time. Some products are so huge (with source code) that getting familiar can be quite a task.

But hiring 15 texture and 3D artists to spruce up the landscape, yes :-)

• Upvote 6

Yes, really looking forward to this. I don't like the external plastic look of the aircraft in X-Plane and this should add an entire new level of realism. The real-time ambient occlusion is another feature which will change the look of the scenery in a subtle but nice way (but for those who have it baked into their own textures for airports, will likely need to be edited)

It's not that easy. 15 new developers aren't going to know how to code on the new system and will need training and a lot of time. Some products are so huge (with source code) that getting familiar can be quite a task.

Austin probably can't afford to,thanks to patient trolls, think how far XP could have come if those resources had been devoted to development vs legal fees.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

It says X-Plane 10.50!  Is the new lighting coming in this Update?    I seen it at the end so i guess it must be

• Upvote 1

It says X-Plane 10.50!  Is the new lighting coming in this Update?    I seen it at the end so i guess it must be

Xplane-11

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Ah rite, thank you.  Thats what i get for speed reading videos :smile:  

• Upvote 1

I asked Austin at the end of the presentation about the UI and lighting and he said no comment.

• Upvote 1

Technically, it's a new rendering technique, not a lighting engine.

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I think it will also certainly need more powerful hardware. HDR lighting was and still is and absolute killer but it makes a big difference.

• Upvote 1

I asked Austin at the end of the presentation about the UI and lighting and he said no comment.

They never talk about what's coming to next major versions until a few monthe before release.

But I guess if they already have working demos , and a major version should have some new big features , it makes sense that those stuff are going into V11 , but it's a pure speculation by me :-)

BTW , in one of the betas in 10.40 IIRC , they included by mistake a folder called interface11 and in the next update they removed it , this can be a hint LOL

I think it will also certainly need more powerful hardware. HDR lighting was and still is and absolute killer but it makes a big difference.

Well I guess they'll also optimize stuff in the rendering engine to make performance better (use more cores on the cpu for rendering calulations etc..)

• Upvote 1

They never talk about what's coming to next major versions until a few monthe before release.

But I guess if they already have working demos , and a major version should have some new big features , it makes sense that those stuff are going into V11 , but it's a pure speculation by me :-)

BTW , in one of the betas in 10.40 IIRC , they included by mistake a folder called interface11 and in the next update they removed it , this can be a hint LOL

Well I guess they'll also optimize stuff in the rendering engine to make performance better (use more cores on the cpu for rendering calulations etc..)

Like Vulcan and DX 12 etc. but I don't even think Ben really even started working on it yet. SO either those probably won't be in XP11 or it's still another 2 years away.

Like Vulcan and DX 12 etc. but I don't even think Ben really even started working on it yet. SO either those probably won't be in XP11 or it's still another 2 years away.

Vulcan and DX 12 are on a totally different level. They are responsible for the event handling and how to reach the GPU. PBR is simply a different kind of shader. For Vulkan, DX12 and OpenGL this is simply a different payload.

Guess you're not in the IT business and never heard that adding more people to an existing project does not reduce the time to complete a project...

• Upvote 4

I like X-Plane 10's autogen, especially in 10.50, but it only gets you so far. By not having famous landmarks and other iconic buildings somewhat diminishes the overall presentation of the sim.