Sign in to follow this  
muskrat

PMDG MD11 engine cut out problem

I really want to get this bird in the air. I think I have lost a start up procedure somewhere although I believe I have followed the manual. Due to mega PC problems, I haven't flown it for some time
This is the problem. 
I manage to start all engines ok with the start up instructions and they are running well until I push my throttles for taxi..and the engines cut out.

Is there something I am missing here in the start up ?

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

Donald

Fuel?

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

have you calibrated your throttle lately? What you think is power could actually be cutting out fuel.

Scott Robinson

Definitely not fuel.

However, re calibrating my FlightSim Yoke seems to have solved the problem, Thanks for the tip.

Fingers crossed now for the future

Donald. 

Having solved the engine cut out on taxi problem, thanks to another member's advice .....today all three engines faded and wound down three times whilst in cruise.

There are no failures programmed and plenty of fuel. Not overloaded nor too high in altitude.

When I first installed this product years ago, it had no problems at all. I have since uninstalled it twice and re installed again having downloaded it from the PMDG site

Can any member offer some advice as to why this is occurring....perhaps something I am not initiating on startup perhaps?

Thanks

Donald.

Was your fuel freezing? PMDG accurately simulated the affects of very cold temperatures on the fuel system of the MD11. Were you able to relight the engines after descending to a lower altitude? A Google search of "PMDG MD11 fuel freezing" will bring up loads of threads on the topic and how to resolve it pre-flight. Hint, you can change the "freezing point" of the fuel on the "FUEL INIT" page 3/3 while on the ground by using Jet A1 or by directly changing the fuel freeze temp by entering a ower number.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if there is more than one axis mapped to the throttle.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Does your throttle or joystick have controls for prop and fuel mixture? Make sure they're both fully pushed in (or turned up or whatever).

At the cutoff setting, the MD11 engines will shut down when you try to apply the throttles for the first time.

Charles Nadeau

• Upvote 2

Charles Nadeau

Hi Charles   and thanks for your tip regarding adjusting the throttle controls.

It is really unusual to adjust the prop/mixture controls on my flightsim yoke for a PMDG jet aircraft but my recent flight went well with no cut outs.

I'll report back after a few flights using this method and let you know if this is the cure encase other members have the same problem.

Donald Leaton 

at least 7 flights now with no engine failures.  This a world record now, for me, with the MD11. 

Thanks again Charles

Donald

Do you have FSUIPC?

And, or, do you have a second controller or joystick? I.e. you have a yoke + a joystick, connected at the same time?

If you have a second joystick, disconnect it while you're flying. This will probably stop the problems.

If you are using FSUIPC, make sure that you have not got an axis bound to throttle in FSUIPC as well as having the axis bound in FSX.

PMDG recommends you bind throttle ONLY via the FSX controls menu, not via FSUIPC, due to "issues"

Besides that, make sure that you have no mysterious buttons bound to "fuel cutoff" switches which could result in your problems. I can't think of many other switches that would result in all 3 engines shutting down other than a switch that has been mistakenly bound to "cutoff".

FWIW I had similar issues with the 777 until I learned to disable or disconnect my joystick when I was flying with my yoke.

Hi all,

How  are the test flights going?

It does sound at first as if you have somehow managed to get a fuel cut off command and some other button connected. Donald you never said if you used FSUIPC, if you do maybe you have a "global" button assignment on the same button as an "MD11" button, which could cause issues. I am just in the process of redoing all my assignments in FSUIPC to remove any "global" axis or buttons just for that reason and making  everything "Profile" only.

You can also get fuel freezing on the MD11, as Adam said above, I came foul of this myself over Greenland one winter many years ago............Even with failures disabled it is something that is still modelled in the MD11 which didn't have fuel heaters like a Boeing. having said that you would see a "Low Fuel Temp" warning light before anything happens on the Fuel display.

Oh one other thing, make sure you keep a copy of your MD11 download, I am not sure but as you can't buy it anymore from PMDG, can you still download it from your orders page, maybe someone else might know that question.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

can you still download it from your orders page

Yes. It can still be downloaded from the orders page.