Sign in to follow this  
19dcavscout

SIA 777-300 Catches Fire

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Luckly  he was close  to  a  airport to land, hate  to think  what would  have happened  if  it  were further out  to sea

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

:(

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Remain on the plane when it's on fire?  ...Waited 5 minutes... Lucky, there wasn't an explosion or that black smoke filling the cabin.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Tough old bird that 777, glad to hear everyone is fine

Matthew Kane

Luckly he was close to a airport to land, hate to think what would have happened if it were further out to sea

Probably the same. As it appears the fire started after the plane touched down and came to a halt. The the oil/fuel isn't carried away by the airstream and gets ignited by the hot engine parts.

• Upvote 1

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

Remain on the plane when it's on fire?  ...Waited 5 minutes... Lucky, there wasn't an explosion or that black smoke filling the cabin.

Nothing wrong with that..the pilot of QF32 did the same...there was fuel pouring outside and a liquid fire out of control. Emergency services were in attendance so it is decided the passengers are far safer inside the aircraft than wondering about a fuel fire.

• Upvote 1

Yeah saw that, a bunch of armchair experts. The Fire Services were on the spot and hosing the fire within seconds. Same as wth QF32, the fire chief would have been in contact with the crew and advised the situation.

The crew then made an assessment based on this information and turned out to be spot on. Good example of teamwork.

What people tend to forget is that what you see in movies hardly ever occurs in real life. There are no massive explosions as soon as a tank is ruptured.

The BAW 777 is Las Vegas suffered a violent failure which punctured tanks, you have unknown impact damage and that is a different story. This 777 had a leak, and fire fighting equipment was on the spot as soon as it landed.

What people tend to forget is that what you see in movies hardly ever occurs in real life. There are no massive explosions as soon as a tank is ruptured

Mr. Reynolds,

Are you a real world pilot, and if so have you ever been in an aircraft fire?

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Mr. Reynolds,

Are you a real world pilot, and if so have you ever been in an aircraft fire?

blaustern

Indeed I was a real world pilot, was also witness in an accident where a 727 blew an engine on takeoff a few hundred meters from me and I watched the emergency landing, evacuation and the crash of a Fire tender into an uncharted ditch on the side of the taxiway injuring the occupants.

I also participated in 2 emergency response exercises involving accidents with a Saab340 and a B737 to test emergency response and casualty treatment.

How about you?

What people tend to forget is that what you see in movies hardly ever occurs in real life. There are no massive explosions as soon as a tank is ruptured.

That's true, just like with automobiles. An empty or almost empty tank is far more prone to exploding than a full tank. The fuel itself is usually a slow, lingering burn, but an empty or near empty tank filled with vapor is more prone to explode should there be a spark or extreme heat.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

How about you?

I am a commercial (ATP) and military pilot. 

blaustern 

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Aviation travel is the safest method of travel. When examined, the amount of aircraft that depart and land each day, compared to the number of accidents reported is minute.