Sign in to follow this  
A340-4

P3D 3.2 Tessellation Factor Settings

Hello Simmers;

I have been trying to find out the mystery answer behind the "Tessellation Factor" setting in P3D v3.2. I know that this setting is responsible for terrain processing? But I have read it here somewhere that the higher the tessellation factor is- the more free the CPU becomes and the load transfers to the GPU? I'm i correct? In my specific example, I use the GTX 970 FTW+, should I have my tessellation factor at max? Or one notch back? 

Many Thanks for you answers and explanations....

best Regards, 

• Upvote 1

To understand the tessellation factor setting, you first need to understand what tessellation is and how it works. Basically, the farther to the right, the smoother the elevation  mesh will look, but the base mesh resolution slider also comes into play.

A Prepar3D developer explained it here:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76729

Moving the slider to the right makes the GPU work harder, but it doesn't free up any CPU cycles.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I would like to know what's the purpose of this setting also. I purposely flied to mountainous area and try all setting but didn't see any changes to the mountain. (I use FreeMeshX). The only place that I see this setting take effect is the 3D water, when set to Ultra.